Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

77" CX $4000 preorder - and Buy Dig will throw in $390 worth of Visa gift cards in your cart.

I don't know a thing about Brad's Deals, are they reputable? And what can you do for extending warranty- are there 3rd party options out there I could add on separately?

-ugh just saw this is a link to Buy Dig, which I also know nothing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Brad's Deals is just an aggregator for sales and coupon codes, but a pretty good one. BuyDig I'm not sure if they're bad or good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They seem legit, been around a long time and the reviews seem genuine (and as it's a third party review site, it's not really a surprise there's a bunch of 1* ones because people are always going to complain if something goes wrong rather than say things went fine).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna crosspost this to a few different threads, but I have a weird issue:

Last October, I ordered a TCL 55R625 Roku TV, along with a refurb Samsung HW-MS650/ZA soundbar. Finally, I pre-ordered a Stadia (yes, please, get your laughs out now), which came with a Chromecast Pro. The problem is that as long as the Chromecast is plugged in, whenever I'm streaming--regardless of whether I'm streaming from the Chromecast, the computer hooked up to the TV, or through the TV interface itself--every 15-45 seconds, the sound goes completely quiet for about a second. Unplugging the Chromecast resolves the issue... but I would like to be able to use the Chromecast. I've updated the TV a couple of times, still get the issue. I think the Chromecast automatically updates, and as far as I know, the soundbar doesn't have any updates. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
TCL 2020 6 series is out. Improvements are mini led and 120hz. And 75" size.

Series 5 gets an update to qled.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/tcl-launches-2020-6-series-roku-tvs-with-mini-led-qled-local-dimming/

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BonoMan posted:

TCL 2020 6 series is out. Improvements are mini led and 120hz. And 75" size.

Series 5 gets an update to qled.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/tcl-launches-2020-6-series-roku-tvs-with-mini-led-qled-local-dimming/

Any way to tell if the HDMI ports are 2.1?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

morestuff posted:

Might have to wait til TCL posts all the specs on their site or the rtings review...though IMHO yes since there's not much reason to spend the time bringing the panel up to 120hz if they're not going to have it be available at 4k at all

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The other MiniLED panel available performed worse at local dimming than the QX so I'm interested to see if there's any improvements made to this year's set.

It'd be an affordable half-step if you can't pull the trigger in OLED.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

beep by grandpa posted:

there's not much reason to spend the time bringing the panel up to 120hz if they're not going to have it be available at 4k at all
*looks at over a decade worth of "120 Hz" TVs that had no way to actually input a 120 Hz signal or do anything with it other than frame interpolation*

I don't disagree with you that there's no good reason for a 120 Hz panel without 120 Hz inputs, but TV manufacturer marketing departments long ago decided that checkbox was far more important than actually doing something useful with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wolrah posted:

I don't disagree with you that there's no good reason for a 120 Hz panel without 120 Hz inputs, but TV manufacturer marketing departments long ago decided that checkbox was far more important than actually doing something useful with it.

Vehemently disagree. 120hz actual refresh rate is vital to a good movie display due to math. It's the least common multiple of 24, 30, and 60.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

morestuff posted:

Ars says they are not. Which I believe would indicate the VRR 120hz support would be limited to the 1080p or 1440p max you can do over HDMI 2.0.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/tcls-latest-6-series-roku-tvs-move-up-to-mini-leds-start-at-650/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wonder will I live long enough to see arc become reliable. I wonder how far we are from seeing HDMI replaced. Not very close I'd guess

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Vehemently disagree. 120hz actual refresh rate is vital to a good movie display due to math. It's the least common multiple of 24, 30, and 60.
Yes, 120 Hz is mathematically a great refresh rate if you want to be able to smoothly display movies and North American television without changing display modes.

That's the key though, without changing display modes. If you don't have a 120 Hz input you're going to be changing display modes on the wire anyways, causing the full HDMI/HDCP resync process, so who cares if the panel itself stayed at the same mode?

60Hz displays can often run at 48 Hz. In the past "overclocking" to 72 Hz was also a thing people did on AVS Forum but that seems to have mostly died out with digital interfaces. Either way, it's also a clean multiple and you definitely don't need a 120 Hz panel to get there.

As far as I see it the only actual advantage a 120 Hz panel can offer without 120 Hz inputs is if you actually like the interpolation stuff. I personally hate it, but I understand it's good for certain sports so to each their own on that one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you have a reasonably modern TV, you aren't changing display modes though. Just about every good TV now will recognize 24fps content from a 60hz source and appropriately do the 5:5 pulldown.

So, even if all you are feeding a 120hz TV is a 1080p60, you still get the proper 5:5 pulldown without changing display modes. But you will have to switch display modes to downclock to 48hz which then affects things like UI elements on the TV and could cause weirdness on content that has shifting framerate (like ad inserts from provider streaming apps).

Higher refresh rates on the panels also allow you do do things like BFI with less flicker and no motion interpolation.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

If you have a reasonably modern TV, you aren't changing display modes though. Just about every good TV now will recognize 24fps content from a 60hz source and appropriately do the 5:5 pulldown.

So, even if all you are feeding a 120hz TV is a 1080p60, you still get the proper 5:5 pulldown without changing display modes. But you will have to switch display modes to downclock to 48hz which then affects things like UI elements on the TV and could cause weirdness on content that has shifting framerate (like ad inserts from provider streaming apps).
LG's "Real Cinema" mode does the same thing with both 60Hz and 120Hz models in their line. It undoes 3:2 and then either multiplies by five for the 120Hz models or multiplies by two and displays at 48 Hz on the 60Hz models. I'm sure other brands have similar features.

quote:

Higher refresh rates on the panels also allow you do do things like BFI with less flicker and no motion interpolation.
OK, BFI I will definitely give you as an objective advantage of a 120 Hz panel without the matching inputs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wolrah posted:

LG's "Real Cinema" mode does the same thing with both 60Hz and 120Hz models in their line. It undoes 3:2 and then either multiplies by five for the 120Hz models or multiplies by two and displays at 48 Hz on the 60Hz models. I'm sure other brands have similar features.

Yes, but my point was with the 120hz models Real Cinema can just vary the input cadence of 5:5 or 4:4 depending on what's coming through whereas the 60 hz models have to first switch to 48hz, then do 2:2, then switch back to 60hz, and do 2:2. This is a realistic situation. Ad inserts on streaming platforms often flip to 30fps when the content is 24fps so the stream is switching cadence on you every commercial break (or sometimes multiple times a commercial break as some ads are legit 24fps). TVs can do that smoothly now, but not always.

A lot of this is recent due to advances in processing. 10 years ago, 120hz was legit the only way you were getting 24fps at a natural cadence on LCDs. 120hz panel feeding it 24fps via HDMI. So, while 120hz doesn't have as much of an advantage displaying native framerate content now, it has been very important in the past.

Dropping the framerate lower for LCD is less of an issue since sample and hold doesn't result in any noticeable flicker. My plasma could do a 48hz mode and it was USELESS. The flicker was so bad, everything was unwatchable. The higher end models had a 96hz mode to get around that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
50 inch H65 office screen installed, Android TV automatically loads my DAKboard in portrait mode as a screensaver.

Goddamn, when did cheap TVs get so good? Auto backlight levels, slim bezels, 4k, viewing angles are excellent even when mounted in portrait, all for $250. The thing looks more like art than a cheap TV slapped on the wall.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Should I even gently caress around with my LG OLED display settings?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Whatever looks good to you is the correct settings for your TV. Don't follow some guide or anything like that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

jokes posted:

Should I even gently caress around with my LG OLED display settings?

Yeah man have fun with you toy and try to get it the best you can get it

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
At least read through the rtings.com settings recommendations and watch their video it'll help you understand them, and they are a good starting point that in general will get you something a little more accurate. And you can always reset to defaults. But ultimately you do you, choose what looks best.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah usually the on/off settings should be followed for the most part, but the number settings (brightness, backlight etc) are going to vary from panel to panel, room to room.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Edit: n/m figured it out

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 13, 2020

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

codo27 posted:

I wonder will I live long enough to see arc become reliable. I wonder how far we are from seeing HDMI replaced. Not very close I'd guess

The audio situation with TVs is a nightmare. ARC and other sound-related issues are frequent topics on AVS and any other forum about home theater.

If I had my way there would be a #@%& law that every TV still have legacy RCA analog stereo outputs.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Welps, just bit on a 77'' CX from Costco for $3,949.99, as someone outside the contiguous 48 where shipping from the usual suspects of online discount retailers isn't feasible that seems like a pretty good deal. This deal does include a Squaretrade warranty, they don't cover burn-in right?

Now I need to update the rest of my home entertainment setup which hasn't been touched in nearly 10 years, any recommendations for an Ultra Bluray player?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Panasonic DP-UB820 is the logical choice to pair with an OLED as the HDR10 tone remapping is a compliment to the more limited peak brightness.

Also, that's just 900 more than I paid for my 65" 4 years ago (77" were around $8k then).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The highlights in people's eyes are so bright on this TV that I keep thinking everyone is on the verge of crying, it's crazy.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
With the current price drop on the 77" LG CX, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. I'm looking at buying from Best Buy and getting the 2 years Geek Squad protection. I feel like if I'm going to drop this much money, shelling out a little more is worth it for some extra protection, and I figure if I'm going to screw up and get burn-in, it would be in the first year if not first few months. I can't think of any particularly compelling reason to shell out for more years of protection.

I'm also planning to get the in-house delivery and setup option since I don't trust myself to put this together at home without breaking the screen.

Had these two questions:

1) Just wanted to check if any of the gurus in this thread had any arguments against my thinking, like it's really not worth paying for more protection? Or if there's good reason to think the price would drop again in the next couple months?
2) I would assume I tip the delivery guys, but how much?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Oh no the TCL tv I bought has the same IR frequency as the HDMI switcher remote I just bought.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Don't loving buy from poo poo buy and get poo poo squad protection, go to Costco

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Listerine posted:

2) I would assume I tip the delivery guys, but how much?

I had no idea what the protocol for these type of things were, so I threw them 5 bux and the guy seemed neither offended or enthused, so use that information however you want.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

codo27 posted:

Don't loving buy from poo poo buy and get poo poo squad protection, go to Costco

I think the wisdom here on that is the geek squad warranty covers replacement if you get burn in and the Costco extended stuff explicitly does NOT.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

codo27 posted:

Best Buy’s extended warranty is the only big-name one that covers burn-in, and I’ve genuinely had a good experience with BB in general the past few years. They’ve really gotten a lot more customer-friendly, as a way to compete against Amazon.

(They do still try to sell you massively overpriced cables if you talk to an in-store salesperson though. Some things never change, I guess. Even that’s not really an issue now that nobody is going to stores in person anyway.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everyone is missing the big picture, and that’s Best Buy doesn’t sell cheap hot dogs. Consider this into your purchasing decisions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kinda moot for the next 9-12 months though when the act of eating at the food court may end up killing you faster than the food will.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Unless you’re at the blowfish taco stand

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So a year later and my 55" TCL has been the best tv I've ever owned. But our situation has changed, we're moving to a new house in 3 weeks and the viewing distance in my new lounging area is further away so a 65" is likely going to serve me better. Any better bang for the buck than the 65" TCL 6 series? I've seen some chatter that Hisense's Roku TVs are getting pretty good?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Give us a budget first because my default answer will be 75" OLED otherwise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well the 65" TCL is $800 and that's a pretty fantastic price. So let's say $1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Reviews are pending, but the 2020 6 series (635) just came out and adds a 120 hz panel and VRR. The 65" is in that range and the 75" is only $1200 if you want to go bigger.

Hisense H8G is a good option as well.