Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, I expect that's the case. I've been using a 73" DLP for the last few years and hope to be blown away by the new one. The person buying my condo asked for my DLP to be thrown in. Yay don't have to move the beast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Eh, crap... Is there any other alternative that has roughly the same specs but with a matte-finish?

Yeah I'm gonna echo what everyone else said and say that the bezel is very small and barely noticeable. I didn't notice the gloss until I went up to look at it very closely to satisfy your request.

I really strongly recommend it man. You'll probably love it still.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's official, Samsung is ending plasma tv production this year.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-samsung-sdi-says-to-end-plasma-panel-display-production-2014-30

That leaves only LG in the market, but I suspect they will exit soon (especially after how quick their OLED sets have been dropping.)

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I have three fun questions:

1. I've got a sweet 50" Panasonic plasma (TH-50PZ77U), I love it and I was prepared to grow old with it. However, it won't display any audio or video from the HDMI ports anymore. Some cursory googling tells me that it's likely the DG board acting up, and that this is a common issue with this era of Panasonic plasmas. The part number is TNPA4415ABS. Problem is, all of the repair part stock seems to have been snatched up by others. I've got emails out to second hand places and an email out to Panasonic support asking where I can buy one, but I'm not having luck. Does anyone know any reputable places to get second-hand TV repair parts?

2. The only places I've seen online that look like they MIGHT be able to help have the part available for "special order," and it inevitably comes with a price tag of $500+. If that's the best I can do, I won't be buying it. Does anyone know of a good way to piece out a "dead" TV to salvage it for good components and sell them? As in, is that something local electronics places will do, or have people had success selling dead TVs on Craigslist, etc. I've got a service manual so theoretically I could piece it out and label the parts intelligently, but would there be any real payoff to that?

3. If I do have to get a TV, and I get one that has that drat soap opera effect, I will commit ritual suicide. I can never make heads or tails of people talking about how to disable it, because it seems like half of the viewpoints I read talk as if it's a desirable thing. If I get a new TV, what is the ONE THING I need to be able to evaluate to make sure I never, ever see the soap opera effect?

I swear I've been to so many people's houses that have specifically said "yeah, MY TV doesn't do that," and then it does and it makes me want to throw their TV out the window. I don't get how ANYONE gets desensitized to that.

Thanks for reading my questions/rant.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every TV with motion interpolation lets you turn it off. It's not even the normal operation of 120Hz+ panels, it's an additional effect.

If you absolutely, positively want to make it impossible for your TV to do it you want to get a plain old 60Hz TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Plenty of 60hz tvs have motion interpolation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a different effect. They do backlight blinking since they have no room to add frames.

And every time I've seen it, it's a feature you need to turn on rather than off.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 3, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Sony KDL-50W800B. Anyone in here pick up any 2014 Sony model? Could you chime in with your thoughts?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I just purchased a LED 65" Samsung UN65H7150 but it has not been delivered yet. Does anyone have knowledge/experiences with this line? Also, I recall seeing talk about different panel manufacturers for Samsung, anyone know how likely this model's panel will be made in a Samsung factory?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Sony KDL-50W800B. Anyone in here pick up any 2014 Sony model? Could you chime in with your thoughts?

I know this concerns the 48" model, but this video had an interesting run down of the television, and the model you are interested in is the premium version of this set. Although the one you like has a likely much better "on" light, and the stand looks a bit more stylish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp9KBZ_UtYY

I watched this review as I'm eyeing the 40" model, and want it for its gaming-aid specs over alternative LED televisions.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 3, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

It's a different effect. They do backlight blinking since they have no room to add frames.

No, they have plenty of room to add frames. Most content people watch on TV is 24 fps. Instead of just doing a 3:2 pulldown which will result in judder but no SOE, these TVs will interpolate the frames in-between rather than repeating.

F1 -> F1a -> F1b -> F2 -> F2a -> F3

Where a and b subframes are interpolated rather than repeated from the key frame. This results in SOE on even 60hz TVs. I have 3 60hz TVs in my house that can do this (and all 3 had it turned on by default.)

Backlight scanning is a completely and totally different thing meant to reduce motion blur by limiting the effect from persistence of vision.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 3, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I know this concerns the 48" model, but this video had an interesting run down of the television, and the model you are interested in is the premium version of this set. Although the one you like has a likely much better "on" light, and the stand looks a bit more stylish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp9KBZ_UtYY

I watched this review as I'm eyeing the 40" model, and want it for its gaming-aid specs over alternative LED televisions.

Yeah, they actually have a 800B video which is pretty much the same. I was just hoping someone here had a unit to talk about it.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's official, Samsung is ending plasma tv production this year.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-samsung-sdi-says-to-end-plasma-panel-display-production-2014-30

That leaves only LG in the market, but I suspect they will exit soon (especially after how quick their OLED sets have been dropping.)

Most people still buying plasma probably won't switch to LG either since their sets are more big for cheap than ultimate black levels and colour correctness.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

No, they have plenty of room to add frames. Most content people watch on TV is 24 fps. Instead of just doing a 3:2 pulldown which will result in judder but no SOE, these TVs will interpolate the frames in-between rather than repeating.

F1 -> F1a -> F1b -> F2 -> F2a -> F3

Where a and b subframes are interpolated rather than repeated from the key frame. This results in SOE on even 60hz TVs. I have 3 60hz TVs in my house that can do this (and all 3 had it turned on by default.)

Backlight scanning is a completely and totally different thing meant to reduce motion blur by limiting the effect from persistence of vision.

But NTSC TV comes in at 30 FPS (29.97 technically.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

But NTSC TV comes in at 30 FPS (29.97 technically.)

First, NTSC is dead. It's ATSC now. It's delivered as 1080i60 or 720p60 which will will encode 24fps material with 3:2 pulldown.

Any TV that's capable of rubbing two electrons together can easily detect 3:2 cadence of 24fps source material and discard the duped frames (after the content has been deinterlaced in the case of 1080i60) and replace them with interpolated frames.

Now what I love about my 240hz W900a is it will do that (detect the 3:2 cadence), and restore the correct 10:10 cadence to properly show 24fps material even if the transport isn't 24fps input.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 3, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Welp, I did it. Was out eating a late lunch with a friend today and it just happened to be near a Best Buy. He wanted to pick up some games, but I made a beeline to the TV section and the TV I wanted, the Sony KDL50W800B, was on demo. Played around with it and bought it on the spot. After getting it home, setting it up, calibrating it and messing around with a bunch of sources (Blu-rays, TV shows, cartoons, video games) for the last 3-4 hours, I deem it to be great set for me.

You can see the demoted set in the lower right corner. :smith:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 4, 2014

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I was looking to upgrade from my 40in budget led vizio to something more substantial now that I have a much larger living room. The E600I-B3 60in model has a glowing review from cnet and I was wondering if anyone had in experience with it before I pull the trigger.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pain of Mind posted:

I just purchased a LED 65" Samsung UN65H7150 but it has not been delivered yet. Does anyone have knowledge/experiences with this line? Also, I recall seeing talk about different panel manufacturers for Samsung, anyone know how likely this model's panel will be made in a Samsung factory?

I have this exact TV. Mine was a Samsung panel and I didn't even know it was possible to be anything else until later. If you're ordering it online it may be tougher to find out ahead of time, but the sticker on the box has to say certain letters. I'd tell you what letters but AVS forum is down right now. Here's the thread, ignore the spergs and vocal minorities worrying about various issues - it's a great tv once you turn off all the Samsung junk. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527547/official-samsung-unxxh7150-unxxh7100af-owners-thread

A few photos I just took

NBA 2k14 video game

Evi|Sycho
Sep 9, 2001

Sexy Time!
I'm having some trouble deciding between a couple budget sets. I'd ideally like to spend $500 (or less) on a living room set. I'm looking for light daily use (mostly netflix, some sports, some gaming) and narrowed it down to two sets: the

47" LG 47LB5800 ($650 on Dell Home with a $300 GC), or
48" Sony KDL48W600B (Can get it for $487)

I guess I'm wondering if the Sony W600B is worth the premium over the LG, assuming I can get ~$250 back for the Dell GC.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So with all plasmas being gone, if I'm in no rush I should probably just hold off upgrading my old 42" panasonic plasma for 2-3 years until I can get an OLED or something right?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Residency Evil posted:

So with all plasmas being gone, if I'm in no rush I should probably just hold off upgrading my old 42" panasonic plasma for 2-3 years until I can get an OLED or something right?

Hate to bust your bubble, but I don't think OLED is gonna happen either.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

BonoMan posted:

Hate to bust your bubble, but I don't think OLED is gonna happen either.

WHAT

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I think the general consensus (and I could very well be wrong) was that, for consumer TVs, the production of OLED tvs wasn't becoming as viable as they had hoped and most companies were starting to edge towards giving it up and focusing on 4K LCD instead.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelkanellos/2014/01/03/is-oled-dead-heres-why-the-answer-is-no/

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

We are in the market for a new HDTV, so thought it best to run some options here.

We currently have a 32" 720p Hannspree that we bought in 2008. It is now annual bonus time and feel that it is more than time to get a better TV.
We have a budget of 500 and would like something 40"-42" as where we have the TV would not have space for much larger. We would like to have 3D, as we already have some movies with 3D copies. Smart is preferred, but we can always get a Roku box instead. Sound is no issue, as it all goes through an Onkyo receiver. Usage would be a general mix of movies, TV and gaming.

We went into Currys and saw a Panasonic TX-40AS640 and a Samsung UE40F6670 which seemed to fit the requirements. Richer Sounds also had a Samsung UE40H6400. Would we be disappointed with any of these? I notice the Samsungs can have Plex installed, which is a nice bonus.

Anonymouse Mook fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 6, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BonoMan posted:

I think the general consensus (and I could very well be wrong) was that, for consumer TVs, the production of OLED tvs wasn't becoming as viable as they had hoped and most companies were starting to edge towards giving it up and focusing on 4K LCD instead.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelkanellos/2014/01/03/is-oled-dead-heres-why-the-answer-is-no/

If I recall correctly the only company still remotely serious about OLED TVs at this point is LG, but yeah, most companies decided people would be more easily convinced to buy more pixels rather than picture quality (after all, that's why plasma is dead in the first place: price trumped picture quality easily, and 4K is easier to produce and push as a "new technology" since 3D more or less failed since it doesn't really require new production lines)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plasma also have a laundry list of negatives, which OLED wouldn't have if they could just get manufacturing down.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Plasma was hardly perfect; LCD became king of the hill for more reasons than just cost (smaller sizes, power efficiency). But I think everyone can agree that a market with only one kind of display technology is a frustrating one to be in, especially when the trade-off that led to the dominance of LCD was one for price, not quality. OLED may yet come (and, like you say, kick those final Plasma displays out of the high-end houses and into the streets), but it's still stuck between the rock that is slow adoption rates and the hard place that is its low yields/high cost. It's a shame that we've lost other candidate display technologies like SED/FED to be sure.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I thought OLED development was dead and now the race is whomever can make the best most pixel dense display.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LG is still betting the farm on OLED and their 1080p models have actually dropped like a stone in price in the runup to the 4k 2014 model.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55EA9800-Cinema-Curved/dp/B00E5U3YEK

Still expensive for a 55" set, but it's a "I could contemplate stretching my budget that far" expensive rather than "down payment on a house" expensive.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I got the LG 60LB7100 the other day and I'm very pleased. My first 3D tv and its much better than I expected. Upgraded from a 47" tv and its a huge improvement. Picture quality and black levels are very good. Got it for $1499 at best buy. Currently the lowest price I have seen, it went up to $1699 at amazon the day after I purchased it.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-60LB7100-60-Inch-1080p/dp/B00II6VW32

edit: Also came with a year of free netflix. Pretty good deal, the smart tv functions are nice but still going to use my chromecast.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 7, 2014

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

First, NTSC is dead. It's ATSC now. It's delivered as 1080i60 or 720p60 which will will encode 24fps material with 3:2 pulldown.

Any TV that's capable of rubbing two electrons together can easily detect 3:2 cadence of 24fps source material and discard the duped frames (after the content has been deinterlaced in the case of 1080i60) and replace them with interpolated frames.

Now what I love about my 240hz W900a is it will do that (detect the 3:2 cadence), and restore the correct 10:10 cadence to properly show 24fps material even if the transport isn't 24fps input.

24fps input and 24f material is the result of a 10:10 cadence, agreed. I've found deinterlacing like 1080i60 brings the 24fps to your face depending on what programming is on cable at the time like a black womans Phillipe french dip-looking vagina thats been left in the sun for 4 hours. Really good stuff these days.

ninja edit: nm

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Nutmeg posted:

I've found deinterlacing like 1080i60 brings the 24fps to your face depending on what programming is on cable at the time like a black womans Phillipe french dip-looking vagina thats been left in the sun for 4 hours. Really good stuff these days.

What the fudge

edit:

So if my tablet is hooked up to my 240hz TV, my TV says it's connected at 1080/60p.
If I play video from my tablet at 24 or 30fps, what kind of magic is my TV doing?

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 8, 2014

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
What are the chances that some TVs will eventually have a built-in Twitch app like some currently have YouTube built-in right now?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dr Tran posted:

What the fudge

Fyad challenge

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

terre packet posted:

What are the chances that some TVs will eventually have a built-in Twitch app like some currently have YouTube built-in right now?

Since Google bought Twitch this may just "happen" as an update to the YouTube app in the next 12 months.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hed posted:

Since Google bought Twitch this may just "happen" as an update to the YouTube app in the next 12 months.

Eh, that was a single news source with no other substantiation back in May. No other news was reported after that. Until I see some filing, it never happened.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so I know this was covered relatively recently but the last time I asked I wasn't ready to pull the trigger and now I am...

I'm looking for the best Sony or Samsung 65" (willing to go down to 60" if there's a huge price difference) 1080p display in the $2000 or under range.

Last time I asked the tv I was pointed to was the Sony KDL65W-850A, unfortunately it's not available on Amazon anymore but it looks like it may be available at Best Buy for $1699.

Are there any better options in the price range or is this still the best set?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

MMD3 posted:

so I know this was covered relatively recently but the last time I asked I wasn't ready to pull the trigger and now I am...

I'm looking for the best Sony or Samsung 65" (willing to go down to 60" if there's a huge price difference) 1080p display in the $2000 or under range.

Last time I asked the tv I was pointed to was the Sony KDL65W-850A, unfortunately it's not available on Amazon anymore but it looks like it may be available at Best Buy for $1699.

Are there any better options in the price range or is this still the best set?

Samsung UN65H7150 is $2,000 in the US I believe. See my photos earlier on the page.

My brother has the Sony you're considering (smaller size) and I don't like it as much, even though I originally wanted a Sony TV.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

leidend posted:

Samsung UN65H7150 is $2,000 in the US I believe. See my photos earlier on the page.

My brother has the Sony you're considering (smaller size) and I don't like it as much, even though I originally wanted a Sony TV.

There's actually a like-new UN65H7150 on our local craigslist at the moment for $1750. I'm trying to weigh if it's worth buying it from a private seller to save $250. I did that with my current 40" samsung and it worked out fine for me, have never had a problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

MMD3 posted:

There's actually a like-new UN65H7150 on our local craigslist at the moment for $1750. I'm trying to weigh if it's worth buying it from a private seller to save $250. I did that with my current 40" samsung and it worked out fine for me, have never had a problem with it.

Doesn't seem like much of a discount for used electronics.