Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hadlock posted:

You mean to tell me the laggy performance of my Samsung is due to a drive by Bluetooth exploit and further side loaded a Bitcoin miner on there?!?!

Botnets uh... botnets, find, a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Dear television thread, I find myself in search of an upgrade to my couple years old 65" Hisense. I am moving to a new house in the beginning of May, and I'm looking to get a new 65" TV. I have a PS5, xsx, and a MiSTer FPGA currently hooked up to my TV, but spend most of my time watching Plex or playing SNES games on the MiSTer. Is the lg c3 right for me, or is there something else I could look at?

The Hisense u8k looks pretty decent for what it is and would be cheaper, but man...I really want that OLED.

My girlfriend is sick of me hemming and hawing over what to get lol

Help me goons you're my only hope!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MiSTer on my LG C2 is freaking amazing, almost as good as playing on my Sony PVM. There is zero chance you'll regret buying the C3.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Enos Cabell posted:

MiSTer on my LG C2 is freaking amazing, almost as good as playing on my Sony PVM. There is zero chance you'll regret buying the C3.

Oh man that's great to hear! I also have a Trinitron kicking around that I'm going to have to put in storage so knowing it's anywhere close is a load off my mind

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
If you really want the OLED, then there's just no alternative and you'll always wonder what if. You're clearly the type of person to notice these things, and let me tell you everyday I watch my C3 I just think drat does this TV look good no matter what content I'm watching.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Is the lg c3 right for me, or is there something else I could look at?

Yeah, the LG C3 sounds about right for your needs. Now is also probably the best time to get one at a decent price, since the C4 is just about to launch.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Alright thanks everyone! Is there any big deal days coming up I should wait for or will I hit myself if I don't get it soon? I think best buy has a 65 for $1600 right now but I could go look at Costco too

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Can confirm, MiSTer looks great on my CX. I have mine set for the 1440p 4:3 mode since I think that was the recommendation for lowest lag with a LG OLED last time I checked, but I have a MiSTer Laggy now so I should actually test that. Maybe if I get bored I'll check it out tonight.

jaadee
May 3, 2013

Alright thanks everyone! Is there any big deal days coming up I should wait for or will I hit myself if I don't get it soon? I think best buy has a 65 for $1600 right now but I could go look at Costco too

The C3 65" has been around $1400 recently which is the all-time low price for purchase from a retail location. That was because LG itself had the 3-series models on sale for a couple weeks. $1600 is certainly not bad.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I guess final question re: c3. Is it still worth buying from Costco for the extended warranty? It looks like the TV is the same price pretty much anywhere, but Costco you get the second year for free and also 3 years of the allstate coverage for free

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

I guess final question re: c3. Is it still worth buying from Costco for the extended warranty? It looks like the TV is the same price pretty much anywhere, but Costco you get the second year for free and also 3 years of the allstate coverage for free

I bought a CX at Costco over 3 years ago that started failing this year. The All State coverage saved my rear end. They gave me a check to go buy a C3, so you bet I got one at Costco that came with another coverage plan.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got a Sony A80J, I love it. Great screen. Would it be a dumb idea to hook my PC up to it to play videogames?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I use my A80J with a 3080 and it is awesome. Just make sure you use a 48 Gbps HDMI cable and change the HDMI format to the VRR option. The sound cuts out for half a second every 40 min or so but no issues otherwise. I also cap my global frame rate in nvidia control panel to 117 FPS.

Edit: You will need a video card with HDMI 2.1 ports to take full advantage. Not sure which GPU you have. Even if it is older, you could do 4k at 60 FPS.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I am also using my C2 as the only monitor for my gaming PC, it works great.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://apple.news/AqBhYB866Rp2Ot5a9IAQP3Q
(BGR)

quote:

Researchers may have finally found a way to eliminate OLED burn-in

OLED displays are some of the sharpest and best looking. While we’ve had OLED panels on our TVs and phones, they’re also starting to appear more often on gaming monitors. There’s just one big problem: OLED panels have terrible burn-in issues. Thankfully, new research could help reduce OLED burn-in and maybe even make it a thing of the past.

This new research is highlighted in the journal Nature and was headed by researchers from the University of Cambridge. The researchers say that the solution they have come up with could remove burn-in issues from OLED panels for good. The trick? Providing better control for the blue light-emitted diodes within the panel.

Based on all of the research that the paper highlights, the best way to reduce OLED burn-in and perhaps remove it altogether is to attack it at the source. That source, then, is the blue light-emitting diodes that are found within OLED panels. Burn-in is a result of unstable and inefficient light from the blue-light-emitting diodes of the OLED display, and if we provide a better way to control them, it will cut down on burn-in, the researchers claim.

Beyond just removing burn-in from the equation, the researchers also believe the new method of encapsulating the light emitters in insulating alkylene straps could also help make the manufacturing process for OLEDs more efficient and thus simplify the reaction of these panels. With Apple reportedly working on an iPad Pro OLED, the display tech is going to see a lot more adoption, too.

Of course, this research and the methods of reducing OLED burn-in are still under heavy scrutiny, and it isn’t likely we’ll see anything of the sort making its way to consumer products anytime soon. But that doesn’t change how exciting this discovery is or how much it might revolutionize the display industry going forward.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Not sure if this is the right thread but any suggestions for an UHD blu ray player? I have an LG C3 so I’d like something that will play my UHD star trek blu rays nicely. I just can’t bring myself to read deeply into the undoubtedly enormous and life changing differences between the $150 players and the $500 players

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Every time I try to pick a UHD player I get scared off by a surprisingly large fraction of user reviews saying their Brand X or whatever player quit working or exploded in flames after just a few months. It seems like the reliability and mechanical build quality just isn't there, at least not at a reasonable price point (which to me would be $300 or less).

My first Pioneer DVD player (a 1999 model, I think) cost $200 and worked basically indefinitely. I ditched it not because it broke but because it didn't support progressive scan.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I have the Sony X700 and while it’s slightly finicky it does basically everything you’d want it to and it’s cheap

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

I bought a Sony X700 and it was mostly fine, but on a handful of occasions it would stop towards the end of the movie as it likely changed to the next layer. I ended up buying a Panasonic UB-820 on Black Friday sale and it's been flawless. I got it because it supports Dolby Vision automatic switching (you have to do this manually on the Sony) and the HDR optimizer.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

TheOneVader posted:

I bought a Sony X700 and it was mostly fine, but on a handful of occasions it would stop towards the end of the movie as it likely changed to the next layer. I ended up buying a Panasonic UB-820 on Black Friday sale and it's been flawless. I got it because it supports Dolby Vision automatic switching (you have to do this manually on the Sony) and the HDR optimizer.

I dithered during the black friday sale for the UB-820 and now they’re $500 :smith:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Worth pointing out that they did a refresh on the 700 at some point — not sure which one Vader has but I haven’t had the mentioned issue with the newer model. Biggest issue is a sluggish UI and that it doesn’t seem to remember where I stopped in a movie if I turn it off halfway through.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a Sony X800M2 and it’s been good but my current tv doesn’t support Dolby vision so I don’t have to deal with that. Most places suggest the Panasonic models.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I got a UB-820 at launch and it's been fantastic.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Reading this conversation is making me wonder now, I'm buying a Shield TV Pro at some point for Plex direct play, but is there anything wrong with watching 4k discs on my PS5 or series X? Verses a stand-alone player I mean

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Reading this conversation is making me wonder now, I'm buying a Shield TV Pro at some point for Plex direct play, but is there anything wrong with watching 4k discs on my PS5 or series X? Verses a stand-alone player I mean

The main thing is their lack of support for Dolby Vision or HDR10+. If you don't care about that they're fine

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Neither support Dolby Vision for UHDs. For that you would need a dedicated player. Depends on how much that matters to you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HDR missing from PS5 playback seems like a pretty big negative for a modern TV. Our 2016 Samsung wasn't fully hdr10 compliant but it was like 94% I would imagine most content since 2018 is HDR

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PS5 has HDR playback, just not Dolby Vision or HDR10+

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, got it, the "+" should have been a big clue. Probably my '16 tv has "almost" HDR10 with like, 800 nits brightness, and 94% color range. It can process the data, but the hardware can't quite keep up with the spec

HDR10+ is 4000nits peak brightness, goddamn that's worthwhile just calling it HDR11 at that point

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The plus actually refers to dynamic (like Dolby Vision)rather than static metadata.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I was thinking about getting an NVidia Shield— doesn’t it support Dolby Vision? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/shield-tv/enable-dolby-vision-hdr10-on-shield/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Delthalaz posted:

I was thinking about getting an NVidia Shield— doesn’t it support Dolby Vision? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/shield-tv/enable-dolby-vision-hdr10-on-shield/

The newest version of the Nvidia Shield works with DV Profile 5. It also works with DV Profile 7 MEL content but not DV Profile 7 FEL content. There's a DV Profile 8 too but I don't know much about it. I honestly don't know much about Profile 5 or 7 either other then they exist and there's two types of Profile 7 and my TV hates Profile 7 in general while the Shield TV just can't do the FEL variety.

DV Profile 5 is generally anything on a streaming service so Netflix, Disney+, etc that supports Dolby Vision. DV Profile 7 FEL and MEL are from UHD BDs and it depends on the movie whether you'll run into one type or the other. A DV Profile 7 FEL file on the Shield TV might play normally but the DV won't look accurate since it's missing the extra metadata.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 27, 2024

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
OK I think I follow some of that— thanks. What do you recommend then?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

OK I think I follow some of that— thanks. What do you recommend then?

Honestly probably still the shield tv or apple tv 4k if you prefer that and don't need the audio passthrough support the shield TV has.

Just let it fall back to HDR/just make HDR10 rips/find out how to make those hybrid Dolby Vision rips that use the streaming service Dolby Vision metadata (profile 5) if you can since that works on both of those devices.

or if you have a mkv that seems to be showing off incorrect Dolby Vision on your shield tv you can put it through makemkv where it can probably turn it into a MEL version for you (won't be 100% perfect but it'll be good enough). You'd need to look through the makemkv forums to figure out how to do that if you ever ran into that issue.

Alternatively you can spend way too much money on a zidoo box (Chinese android TV box brand) that does support all the Dolby Vision profiles but seems to cost like $400-$600 depending on the version you get and I don't begin to know which one is the right one to buy.
I also don't know if the zidoo boxes support the same amount of audio and audio passthrough like the shield tv.

So like shield TV is probably still good enough even if it doesn't work with all types of Dolby Vision.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a separate thread for tv box type things? I tried the LG and Samsung software in store and know I’ll hate it, so I’m looking to get a Apple TV or some sort of android TV device - I just want to know if there’s anything in particular to look out for when it comes to HDR etc.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a separate thread for tv box type things? I tried the LG and Samsung software in store and know I’ll hate it, so I’m looking to get a Apple TV or some sort of android TV device - I just want to know if there’s anything in particular to look out for when it comes to HDR etc.

Just get the Apple TV or the Shield Pro depending on whether you prefer Apple or Android.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah honestly all my post about Dolby vision profiles really boils down to is "unless you have more money then sense and also want to use UHD BD remuxes for everything that you're playing via kodi or whatever just get a shield tv or apple tv"

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Also keep in mind if you get an Apple TV and your hope is to use Plex for everything, you might have to pony up the bucks for Infuse player to get flawless 4K/DV/HDR+/etc, because the Plex native client just absolutely shits the bed sometimes in unknowable ways

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So, switched from an old 65" Samsung TV from 2016 to a 77" G3. Huge upgrade, obviously. The TV is hooked directly to a Denon receiver (AVR-X3300W) that then has about 6 or 7 HDMI devices hanging off it (chromecast, PS4, switch, UHD blu-ray player, various other niche HDMI consoles, etc)

In the past, I always had CEC issues with some sources just generally not working, and I was under the impression this was due to the number of devices hooked up, and CEC maxing out at 4 devices or something. If I changed configurations, the specific sources that didn't work would usually change around, but usually some worked and some didn't and I lived with it. Everything either worked fully with CEC up and down the chain, or didn't work at all - it was totally binary.

Now what is happening is that my sources that seems to 'work' with CEC in the current setup (chromecast, PS4, etc) will only turn the TV on, but not the receiver. The passthrough video works fine, but I get no audio without the receiver on. Turning the TV off, or shutting the video source down, properly turns everything off up and down the chain, including the receiver. Other sources, as before, just continue to have no response whatsoever with either the receiver or the TV via CEC - which is unchanged. So unlike before, now the CEC behavior on the 'working' devices, is lopsided. It doesn't fully turn everything in the chain on, but everything in the chain shuts down properly - which seems odd.

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this or things I could do to try to resolve this? It is annoying to have to get my receiver remote out every time I turn things on.

Hopefully what I have written all makes sense - let me know if it doesn't.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got the same TV and after loving with it for a month I got a CEC blocker hdmi dongle. So yeah I gotta turn everything off and on manually now but all my other problems that you’re describing are gone.