Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I'm looking for a tv for my bedroom. The only requirements I have are that it be around $500, 1080p, and I want it to have the frame interpolation smoothing feature. I'm gonna use an Apple TV with it so all the smart features aren't really a priority.

What's the best I can get for that much? I don't mind used or refurb stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Elysium posted:

Best? Gonna have to specify size or quality.

Hard to say. But it's not really "5 inches" it's 21% more area: http://www.displaywars.com/50-inch-16x9-vs-55-inch-16x9

Sorry, anything at least 30 inches. Picture quality would be what I'm after the most, I guess. As long as it has the automation 120hz stuff. I like it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Elysium posted:

Samsung UN40ES6100 used from Amazon Warehouse maybe? $566.

I'll read some reviews on it but it looks like what I'm looking for. Great price too. Thanks for the quick response!

Anyone have any experience with this TV?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Just got a Samsung PN51E550, and I feel like I'm in the minority, because I kinda want that Soap Opera effect, and I can't figure out how to get that in my settings.

The "Cinema Smooth" option is greyed out and I don't know what else to do.

I'm running my Blu Ray player through an HDMI cable and a surround sound receiver ,

I don't think that TV has the soap opera effect thing. I've only seen it on LCD and LED TV's.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn51e550/4505-6482_7-35169620.html

Here's a review for it. You can see it says No next to the Dejudder feature. That's what gives the soap opera effect.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Our TV just bought the farm. We're not really picky about picture quality or future proofing so I don't think we need OLED, I'm just looking for anything bigger than 65" and for less than $950. 1080P or 4K is good either way. Any stand out picks for bigger TV's at that price range?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

fadam posted:

Is the Sony XBR55X900E a good Television? It's $400 off at a ton of places, and I'm looking to get a new TV for my apartment.

Where is it on sale for $400 off? Might need to jump on that.

Alternatively, if I’m about to drop ~$1300 on a TV. Is there a better tv than this for similar money? I’ll be using an Apple TV 4K and an Xbox One X so I’m not too worried about the lovely Android tv software. Would I miss the Dolby Vision support?

Edit: hmm, the X930E is not that much more and apparently will get Dolby Vision support in a firmware update later. Hopefully it goes on sale for Black Friday. Anyone got a link to the best price on it? The 55 inch is about $1600 on Amazon, is that typically the lowest it will get?

Biodome fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 3, 2017

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

parasyte posted:

The new ones are slightly better in a lot of ways, brightness and color etc. If that's worth $100 then grab the new 55, otherwise (or if $100 puts it out of budget) last years are certainly still good sets.

I'm still waiting on Amazon getting more stock of the 65" from this year, they seem to be in short supply so far. but the new 55" are available.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 2018 TCL 55", any better place to buy it than Amazon? I know with the LG's you can get them on BHPhoto and save some money.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Just got a C9 and I love it.

Quick question, is there a way to make the tv display the current output resolution and settings? Most TV’s you can click the center button and it’ll display a banner that has the resolution, HDR status, audio status, etc displayed.

I had it pop up once when I was playing my Xbox but I’m not sure how to make it happen on command.

Edit: kinda answered my own question, I can press the rolling wheel in for the status menu when I’m on any input besides the native apps. Kind of annoying but I like my Apple TV’s interface better anyway.

Biodome fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 18, 2019

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
If anyone's in the market for an LG C9, Best Buy dropped the price even more today. I bought it for $1800 yesterday and now it's on sale for another $200 off, $1600. Good value. They refunded me the extra $200.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I've got a C1 and an Xbox Series X and PS5. I recently moved and my only HDMI cables are all old as hell and don't support 4K/120hz. Is there a thread recommended set of HDMI cables that support all the newest stuff? I checked Monoprice but there are about 100 different varieties and I'm not sure which to get. Figured I'd buy a bunch and just be set for a while.

I think I need the 48Gbps ones, I need about 7, for the stuff in my living room as well.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Bought the 65” C1 this week. Are there any built in apps that take advantage of the 120hz for movies or TV or is that strictly for gaming purposes? Weren’t Ang Lee movies filmed in 120fps? Or the hobbit movies?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

FilthyImp posted:

Somedude's Long Walk, The Hobbit and Gemini Man were HFR films iirc. I think only Gemini Man was made with 120hz in mind.

There was, like, 5 theatres in the US capable of showing it as intended.

I looked it up on the YouTube app and there’s a 4k60FPS clip of Gemini Man sniping someone on the train that looks insane. I think it looks neat but I guess most people think it looks like poo poo.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I was looking at getting one of those Denon or Onkyo HDMI 2.1 receivers from Costco but I realized I don't have any speakers for them, or really any idea what to do once I get the receiver. Is there a guide for setting up your first home theater system? Recommended speakers/subs to buy for this kind of unit?

Denon AVR S760H 7.2ch 8K AV Receiver

Onkyo TX-NR6050 7.2-Channel AV Receiver

Anyone got experience with either of them?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

The Perfect Element posted:

If you have no idea what to do with one, and no equipment to go with it, why do you want an AV receiver?

I don't mean that in an aggressive way, I just genuinely don't understand.

It’s all good. Currently using tv speakers and they aren’t great. I’ve had a sound bar before but always read that an actual home theater system would sound better so I wanted to set one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

The Perfect Element posted:

Fair!

I spent about £500 on a av/5.1 surround speaker combo last year aaaand tbh I kinda regret it and just wish i bought a decent soundbar instead.

It depends on your life circumstances I guess, but I realised that 99% of the time I don't actually want or need the surround sound experience, and there's also a lot of stuff which doesn't even use it (or its a gimmick).

Don't get me wrong, occasionally with like a Marvel film or a video game it can be amazing, but overall the expense and faff of setting it all up and having cables run all around the living room just hasn't been worth it.

That’s a good point too, actually. Does seem like a lot of work with the cables. Maybe I’ll just get a good sound bar.