Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Dead Pressed posted:

Any thoughts on HD antennas? Just cancelled cable and want to get some local news! I've been looking at the Mohu Leaf, looks to be pretty well reviewed. http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Paper-Thin-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359856252&sr=8-1&keywords=leaf+antenna

I just picked up this one,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008WVM6FG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

I saw a review somewhere and it came out on top of the Mohu antenna by a small margin, honestly I can't say if it works better or not but for my location it works great. Also I really like that it's clear as I have it hanging in front of a window with white blinds and you can't really even see it. I'd recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

GEMorris posted:

So what are the high quality 40-42" options right now?

I've been looking to replace my bedroom tv with a 40 or 42 inch range set as well. I have a Samsung 55 inch 7000 series lcd in the living room that I really, really like however i'm playing around with the idea of plasma just for the heck of it and to see what the plasma love is all about.

Anybody have any ideas? Budget is $1000/1200. I've looked around on the web and haven't seen anything that jumps out at me.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I picked up a 60" ST60 based on the recommendations in this thread and am wholly impressed so far. We've just watched some regular TV and the blu-ray of Skyfall, which was visually amazing. The fight scene in the Tokyo sky scraper and the final scene in Scotland were particularly impressive since they were dark but included plenty of detail.

Can anyone recommend some movies that are particularly visually interesting? On the short list to watch next for me are the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Trek Into Darkness and Master and Commander.

Definately Avatar should be on the short list, even if your not thrilled with the subject matter the visuals and effects are really cool, well done I thought...and 3D!

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I've pretty much settled on this Samsung. Is there anything else I should be looking at in this price range?

I got the 42" size of this model for the bedroom and its got really good PQ, all the extras, and has been working flawlessly in the 4/5 months I've had it.

Can't say anything input lag or gaming as that's reserved for the 7000 series 55" Sammy downstairs.

Overall for the money I'm pleased with the purchase, hope you are too!

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

sighnoceros posted:

I recently purchased this TV along with a new speaker system and am in the process of setting it up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB9OTBU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My TV stand doesn't have a space for a center channel, and is actually kind of tall at about 30" to the top. The bottom of the TV screen is about 33" off the ground, and when sitting my eye level is at about 40". What I'm considering doing is trying to find a shelf I can put on top of the TV stand to put the center speaker under, then putting the TV on top of that shelf. My only concern is I'll need about 7" of clearance for the center channel, so the bottom of the TV screen is going to be right at about eye level.

I'm wary about putting the TV up on another shelf that won't be physically attached to the TV stand, and also about the TV being mounted so high. Has anyone else had issues setting up their center channel, or have any ideas I haven't considered? Barring that, any recommendations for a TV platform that is between 12" and 15" deep, 24" and 48" wide, and provides about 7" of clearance underneath it?

I found myself in a similar situation and what I ended up doing was buying a box like table from ikea and cutting the sides down to about 8" and epoxying it back together. I also could'nt find what I needed anywhere so I made one! This may or may not work for you but it might give you some ideas. It looks factory made and is plenty strong enough to support my 60" tv and then some.