Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I need recommendations for getting my step-dad a new budget HDTV.

He wants to stream BTN Football games from his laptop to his tv. He currently only has a clunky old Standard definition tv with a few component cables in the front and a regular cable box cable(RG56, I think it's called) in the back. I've searched the web and it's apparently not worth trying to connect a laptop to such an old tv so I've convinced him that he needs to finally upgrade to an HDTV.

He's very budget minded so I think the cheapest possible tv (without being a piece of junk, of course) that fits the above needs would be his best bet. Any recommendations? Maybe something he can run out and buy now at radio shack or someplace?

e: Almost forgot, the space he's going to put it in (a TV Cabinet) is only about 28.5 inches wide and 25.5 inches high. So the entire TV will have to be a little less than that.

e2: This Samsung UN29F4000 29-Inch 720p 60Hz LED HDTV looks good, I think. The height and width specs seem to just match and it has good reviews on Amazon. What do you guys think?

e3: Ok, I just realized it would probably be even easier for him to stream BTN Football games from the net with a Smart TV. Anyone have any thoughts on the VIZIO E291i-A1 29-Inch 720p 60Hz Smart Slim LED HDTV? It fits his size specs and would allow him to stream the internet through wifi. Much simpler than hooking up a HDMI cable and DisplayPort to HDMI Adaptor to his Laptop. I also just spoke with him again and he seemed open on pricing so if there are better Smart TVs out there in 29 inch range I'd like to look at them. I checked out the Samsung Smart TVs but couldn't find one in 29 inches. However I checked out his cabinet and the space is limited by the front closing doors sliding back on either side. So if I took those off and put the hinge on so they can't slide back he could go up to a 32 inch. Which brand generally have better Smart TV's Samsung or Vizio?

e4: Welp, I think I'm close to a final decision. The Samsung UN32F5500 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV is what I'm looking at now. It's more expensive than the 32 inch Samsung I linked to in my last edit, but it's the 2013 model as opposed to the older 2012 model. This comparison here was helpful. If he wanted to splurge he could get the Samsung UN32F6300 32-Inch 1080p 120Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV. The big differences between the UN32F6300 and the UN32F5500 is that the UN32F6300 is 120hz refresh rate vs the UN32F5500's 60hz (dunno how big a deal that is?) and a few other things like the UN32F6300 has an ethernet port. The UN32F5500 is $375 and the UN32F6300 is $600 so I think the UN32F5500 is probably the way to go.

e5: Hmm, the LG Electronics LN5700 32LN5700 32-Inch LED-lit 1080p 120Hz Internet TV is $379 about the same price as the Samsung I'm looking at above and it's 120hz as opposed to the Samsungs 60hz. Not sure what other features are different but at 120hz for the same price the LG might be the better choice.

e6: This quick video rundown also seems to suggest that LG's smart tv software edges out Samsungs. And here is a demo for the Samsung Smart TV Software and a demo for the LG Smart TV Software for comparison purposes. And finally a good comparison article on DigitalSpy

e7: Well, poo poo, I was wrong about the 32 inch LG I mentioned above being 120hz. It's only 120hz on the higher screen range, at 32 inches it's 60hz.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

ijii posted:

I don't think streaming football games using the Samsung Smart TV web app is a good idea. Using their included web app I tried streaming Hulu.com (free version) and southparkstudios and neither of them worked. I only used my Smart TV's web because my computer went haywire. The web app leaves a lot to be desired for browsing the internet. I'd avoid unless you know of a good another good web app.

Hmm, well poo poo, that's disappointing. I'm pretty much out of ideas, then. Spent half the day yesterday researching all of that poo poo in my previous post. I still think the smart tv thing is pretty cool, but honestly it probably wouldn't be something he'd get a lot of use out of since he's really not all that tech savvy or into apps and what not.

Maybe something like Chromecast, Roku, or Apple TV would work for him?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Can anyone recommend an ultra-budget flat screen for my dorm room. I'm talking really ultra budget. I'm just looking for something I can hook up to my pc for steam game parties and netflix.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Don Lapre posted:

Buy the cheapest refurb vizio you can?

Where would be a good place to look.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

sellouts posted:

Why not grab a tv off of craigslist?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, probably even cheaper than refurb.