Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'd check out Vizio if you don't absolutely have to have a tuner in your TV. They seem to have better value than say Sony/LG/Samsung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I believe they have or will soon release firmware for the P series that adds on screen menus. Not sure about the M series.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Planet earth 2 I hear, though I don't have a UHD blu ray player so I can't vouch for it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

priznat posted:

Are the C7s being discontinued because it seems like in my area (Canada) only bestbuy has em ($2799cad for 55", bleh)

The C7 is exclusive to Best Buy in Canada.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'd guess it's got more to do with the analog to digital broadcast change. If the antenna wasn't upgraded after the digital switch maybe it's not optimized for the frequency range in your country? I strongly doubt the TV will make any difference. A powered antenna might.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Krime posted:

Super rich me would buy the $20,000 8k tv

Ultra rich me would buy one of the 292” Samsung “The Wall” micro LED TVs. (No idea what they cost but the 148” version is allegedly $100k)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Have you considered the HD fury Arcana? https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Tangentially related to 24fps support, I hope we continue to see support for interpolation to 60 or 120fps. I’m fine with other people wanting a filmmaker mode, but I find low frame rate content incredibly irritating and always have. The “soap opera effect” to me just means I can pay attention to the content instead of sit there annoyed that the filmmaker couldn’t be bothered to use a high frame rate camera for historical reasons.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

FilthyImp posted:

If you just want OLED quality image, go Vizio.

Unless you’re in Canada, because Vizio don’t sell to Canada anymore.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mister Facetious posted:

Can't get them at Costco anymore?

Nope. They stopped selling anything in Canada for some reason.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Disney+ is the only app that sometimes gives me an HDCP error. I think they are just not very good at making apps.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

tehinternet posted:

Wonder if it’ll be worth getting over the CX? Haven’t been able to watch it yet — will this year’s offerings have true HDMI 2.1 support for 4K 120hz without the color compromise?

I read somewhere they still have the 40Gbps limit in this year’s models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Shadowhand00 posted:

Is there any reason nowadays to get an Shield (I have a 2016-17?) with how decently great the LG webOS is?

One reason would be the one click exploit floating around for LG TVs. It could be exploited by a malicious ad in a frame while you’re on your home network and your TV would be part of a botnet for as long as you own it.