Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

cbirdsong posted:

So I should try to buy one of those before then, if I was thinking of getting one in the next year or so? I'm guessing prices will not be dropping like crazy.

I'm in the same boat. I'll be getting my own place in July, and I was planning to buy myself the Panasonic ST60 (or whatever the 2014 version would've been) as a housewarming gift.

What are the chances that I'll still be able to find one then with Panasonic not producing them anymore? If the odds are 0%, how soon do I need to buy it if I want to have a top-notch big TV for ~$1,500? I just can't justify spending more than that on a television, so the OLED options seem like they're not really options for another few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Is a good OLED television an across-the-board upgrade on a good plasma television? I bought this Samsung PN51F5300 a few years ago and I've been mostly happy with it. The picture quality is terrific and there haven't been any technical problems, but I've bought a house since then and I'd like something that has less glare from light and that's larger. So, I'd like to move it into the bedroom where there are fewer light sources and get a new living room TV to replace it.

The OP seems to be saying that OLEDs are better at everything than plasma except display lag, but the post is also more than five years old, so I dunno what's changed since then. Maybe at this point even a good LED is better than a plasma? I dunno if this Sony XBR65X900E would be an upgrade, but I'm guessing that this LG OLED55C7P would be? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Thanks, that's helpful info.

Are there any significant TV innovations coming around the bend or introduced but not popularized yet that are worth waiting for? If so, I could hold off for a year or two. I might do so anyway just in the hopes of getting a TV like the C7 a little cheaper, but I dunno if there's something specific out there that everyone's salivating over.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Reading the last few pages of this thread, I realized that I'm woefully uninformed when it comes to this stuff.

I've had an itch for physical media recently and I've been buying what seemed like the best available format in Ultra HD 4K blu-rays (loooove the black cases) since I've seen a few of my favorite movies pop up in Amazon sales recently for $10-$15.

Right now, I have a Samsung plasma (PN51F5300AFXZA) that I bought in 2013. I've been planning to buy an OLED television in the next one to three years, at which point I figured I would be able to enjoy my little collection at their peak display quality, but now I'm thinking that I have more limiting factors than just my TV itself.

First, my blu-ray player is my regular PS4, and it sounds like that won't even read the file format of the 4K discs. So, that's a non-starter. But even if I got a dedicated blu-ray player that could handle 4K content, I would still need to plug it directly into the TV because my random HDMI switcher from five years ago probably can't handle that signal either. Dang.

It seems like my pathway forward on those items is straightforward, although I'm interested in recommendations for dedicated 4K blu-ray players (is it right that XBone S is the way to go for that?) and 4K HDMI switchers.

Beyond that, though, I'm curious, since the OP is fairly old at this point: is there anything meaningful on the horizon? I saw stories about the rollable TV (not interested) and mentions of 8K, but that sounds like it's a decade-plus out until it would be at a similar price point to current OLEDs. Is that it?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

So, resident goon deal-spotter extraordinaire Dr. Eldarion reported what seems like an amazing LG OLED deal:

LG OLED55B8PUA 55" Class B8 OLED 4K HDR AI Smart TV $1099.99

I have a 51" plasma now:

I feel like I can't go to 65" without the TV going from "one of the primary features of the living room" to "the only thing anyone would notice upon entering the living room." So, 55" seems about right.

I have some questions:

1.) What's the difference between the B8 and C8? What scenario would I see a difference? Because the C8 is many hundreds of dollars more.

2.) I see that they're also offering an E8 for $100 more; it's refurbished but has the same one-year warranty as the B8. Does anyone have experience getting a refurbished TV, especially through Beach Camera? That sucker sells for $2,300 on Amazon, so that seems like an even crazier deal.

3.) I see that the 2018 models don't have HDMI 2.1. What is that; does that matter? Is there a workaround?

Thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 2, 2019

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Quick update: I'm loving my LG E8 OLED. Love it, love it, love it. It's like a perfect television, and I felt insanely lucky to get what seems to be a flawless refurbished one for $1,200 on Ebay a month ago. Super strong recommend for that TV model.

I do want to start watching UHD 4k blu-rays, though, and I don't have a player for that. I was looking around at other threads to see if there's a better place to ask about this, and I didn't see one, so I'll ask about it here.

I'm considering two different 4k players: the Xbox One S and the Sony UBP-X700. I can currently get the Xbone S for $220, and it'll probably be at or below $200 very shortly. The Sony is at $160 and it seems like that's close to its historical low. The price difference isn't nothing, but the added benefit of being able to play the new Halo or whatever seems worth that cost. So, price-wise it's a wash for me.

So, what I'm curious about is this: is Sony's dedicated 4k player better? Most importantly, does it have a higher image quality than the Xbone S? Does anyone have insight on that?

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Thanks for the 4k blu-ray player advice, all! It was really informative.

I saw a deal for Xbone S at $180, and at that price, I'm willing to spend an extra $20 to be able to play a few of the Xbox games I'm interested in. I looked up some of the differences between HDR10 and Dolby Vision, and it didn't seem like enough of a boost (at least for my untrained eyes) to be worth the tradeoff. None of the 4k movies I've bought have Dolby Vision, either, so that was the final nail in the coffin for me.