Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
My Vizio is unplayable if I don't use Game Mode. I always have it on and don't use any post processing affects and I get acceptable image quality. Black levels leave a lot to be desired but I don't complain too much; I paid $900 for a 60 inch TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I need a new TV to play PS4/PC games on. I currently have a Vizio 60" E-601i-A3 in the living room which does pretty well but black levels aren't the best. I'm going to use this TV in another room and since Panasonic is almost out of the game I was thinking I could get in on that before they're gone. How do you all feel about the TC-P50S60? Don't really need anything more than 50" for this other room.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

larchesdanrew posted:

So this 60" Vizio is going on sale at Sam's tonight for $678. I think I'm going to do it if no one has any horror stories. It looked pretty great in the store.

I have this TV as well. Image quality is good. I always have it in Game Mode or else there are audio sync issues with certain content. Playing a video game without game mode is impossible so it works for me. Black levels leave something to be desired but overall I'm happy with it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Can the Panasonic game lag be solved at all, like through Game Mode or anything? I want to replace my 60" Vizio in a few months for something with better black levels but I use the TV for gaming mostly, then Netflix or Hulu after that.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
The only advice I'd offer is to put sharpness down to 0, that "noise" you are seeing is probably sweet sweet film grain.

Edit: and I'd probably turn both noise filters off.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I feel pretty dumb asking this, but I am unaware of what the difference is when it comes to LEDs.

I see that some LED TVs have an effect when you are watching a tv show/movie/etc, and it almost seems "fake" insofar as the video looks like you are literally on the set of the show being filmed. I have noticed this while at my parent's house and they were watching an episode of SVU today (huge Sharp Aquos) and it looked completely different when I came back to my place and watched the same episode on my Vizio 55" e550i-B2. Yes I understand my Vizio is a budget model, I just don't know what that difference is that causes such a change in the picture quality (I was only able to find something called "Soap Opera Effect" via a lot of Googling, however I don't think that is the answer). Can someone school me in this or at least point me in the right direction?

You're right, it is the soap opera effect. This article explains it pretty well it seems, but I only skimmed it: http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

The Joe Man posted:

Weird question that I'm not sure will get answered:

On a Vizio E601i-A3 (http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS), there's a weird bug where Game Mode doesn't stay on after you turn off/turn on the TV. So you need to go into the menu, turn it off, then turn it on again to get rid of the delay. Minor inconvenience but it's easy to forget. I've been debating whether I should go online with it (clicking "Yes" to the weird Yahoo thing it asks) to check and see if it had any firmware updates. However I want to avoid as much built-in "smart" bloat as possible since I use a Roku for all of that anyways.

1. Does it have an update that fixes this?
2. Is it worth it to let it go online?
3. Can I "uninstall" or opt-out of all that crap afterwards?

I have this TV and let it update every time it's available. I don't have this bug and I don't think I ever have. You can just ignore all the built in apps like I do. I use my Apple TV for all streaming duties.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
You took your picture a little bit early.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I have the older version, e601i-a3, and I like it a lot. Black levels could be better but overall it has a great picture for the price and the bezel on the newer model is even smaller than the already small one on mine.

Edit: wait, I wasn't paying attention. You have the M series, I was talking about the E series. Disregard.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Why do that when he can get a brand new Vizio in that size for barely more than $300?

Edit: I've got a 2012 E series 60 inch from Vizio and it's been rock solid for the $900 I paid for it. Vizio makes solid TVs.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
For Netflix? 25Mbps

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah I'm gonna sell my two year old E series 60" and get down on that Samsung. Inky blacks, here i come!

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah I'm coming from an edge lit LED tv so it's definitely going to be an improvement.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Ordered my 60f8500 through Amazon, delivery is next Friday :(

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Amazon did too, got $200 from my order.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

aBagorn posted:

Not going smart is not going to save you any money.

This should be in the thread title since it has to be said so much.

By the way, the 60f8500 I ordered November 10th is finally being delivered tomorrow, no thanks to CEVA's incompetence. gently caress that company.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

DeathSandwich posted:

I already have the set top box and chromecast for it on the old TV, between that and having game consoles to put on both TVs I have all the features I would use on a Smart TV

His point is that you will literally save no money by trying to find a TV without smart features. They are a part of 99% of TVs now and removing them does not remove money. Since you can't remove it you just have to ignore it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah I'm almost certain I'll be keeping the TV, but if for some reason I feel the need to return it what other option is there? Highest priority is deep black level and 60" minimum.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
The F8500 is the jam. I can hear a buzz when sitting directly in front of the TV but otherwise it's really hard to hear. If there is anything of decent volume its inaudible. The two others in the house haven't said anything about it. The input lag is fine when in PC mode. I love it. My girlfriend says it looks amazing and I didn't expect her to even see a difference because she doesn't ever notice that kind of stuff.

I hope 60" OLED is as affordable as this when it comes time to replace this in a few years.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I'm gonna agree that the 5300 pen tile effect is pretty noticeable even at a fair distance. I was looking at one from 6-7 feet away and could see it easily. It even looked bad on the TV menus. 10 feet away it might be okay but any closer and I wouldn't be able to stand it.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
After a few weeks with my F8500 I think I might return it. The buzzing sound is heard at all times and is definitely distracting at low volume. The picture is beautiful but the noise is distracting. It's especially bad when sitting directly in front of the TV. I'm viewing from about 8 feet away and it's frustrating. I might step down to the H7150, but that still seems like an incredible LED TV.

Woe is me.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

rear end Catchcum posted:

stopped being as response after 6 months.

What does this even mean?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
If you can't tell just by looking then LOL

That's more of a dig at the current state of 4k

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Get a new TV?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Boz0r posted:

What's the best blu-ray player for only playing blu-rays, no funny stuff?

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-blu-ray-player/

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Did any of your research include this thread? Just get a Vizio. Low input lag, good price, decent picture quality.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...ments=p_89%3ALG

What was the sale price at?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

dexter6 posted:

Ballpark on the going rate I should list my old TV for on craigslist (I know there is always regional variability)? There are no others listed to compare

2007 Vizio VX37L
37" 720p

$200?

Free. You can get a newer, larger, higher resolution TV brand new for less than that.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I think he does. That's the model number for the UHD player.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/UBD-K8500/ZA

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Download the app, just like you do on an Android.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
That's probably because Bluetooth on Android phones generally sucks. I had a P series TV for a few days before returning it and had no problems with the iOS app.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Your European KS7000 is actually also the US KS8000.The European KS8000 is the US KS9000 which most people agree is not worth the money.

This explains why you like it so much.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Don Lapre posted:

Frys has regularly been doing this one at $799

http://www.frys.com/product/8971763

Is there any particular reason he should buy a receiver almost the same cost of his TV when he only wants 2.1 and ARC?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

pwn posted:

On the subject of 3D, I've been seriously considering the LG UH8500 lately. I haven't been able to find a 4K 3D TV at this price, and I can't see anything wrong with it. Considering I can get a refurbished model on Amazon for $900~, is there any reason not to get this?

The rtings review for that TV is pretty decent. It is an IPS panel, so keep in mind the blacks will be pretty poor. If you really need 3D, it looks like a good buy.

3D is really holding you back, because for $600 you can get a better rated Vizio M series 55 inch. I'd rather save the $200 over having 3D, poor IPS blacks, and having to buy refurbished, but that's just me.

1997 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 9, 2017

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I'm fairly confident there there are no good TCL TVs. Get the 2017 65" Vizio M series for $1200. They have great input lag if you wanna game. This years Samsung aren't great. Only buy LG OLED. Sony TVs that are better than the Vizio are much more expensive.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Krailor posted:

It looks like TCL might have finally released something worth buying with the P607.

http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series-model-55p607-4k-hdr-roku-tv-with-dolby-vision-first-look/

Dang, that's a pretty glowing review. Only $699 too.

Edit: actually it's $599, even better

1997 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I've never heard of ABCTVs but you can get the 55" LG B8 through Greentoe for $1029 right now. No shipping and possibly no tax depending on where you're ordering from.