Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you mean the obfuscation of the device lists (which aren't too hard to find once you know how), or how you have a limited number of reviews you can view before they block certain info on them?

I went looking at soundbars (for my parents, dont judge me) and most of the review specifics were all paywalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant believe no ones kickstartered a dumb TV with a slot you can insert some kinda open sourced processing module into that can be easily replaced when need be. I suppose getting the panels wouldn't be easy when the whole purpose of this project would be to subvert smart TV advertisements and associated fuckery.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Corb3t posted:

Now explain away Spotify's lack of lossless audio while everybody else has it for free.

My buddy put it best, "the world is loving junk". For real though, what percentage of spotify users care about this? 1%? 0.1%? Less? You got people out there who think they are king poo poo with Beats headphones and Sonos speakers.

My TCL Roku TV has started exhibiting cool behavior. If it goes to screensaver sometimes, I'm getting an ad...for a Roku box? And it seems to make it lose its place in whatever app it was in, so thats cool. If I was buying an external device, it would have to be chromecast or whatever they are calling it now strictly for the namesake feature. There are still too many things with no native apps on any of the platforms, so that casting ability is absolutely necessary.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That Simpsons shot reminds me of one of my buddies who was the first to have a flat screen, a Toshiba he later destroyed by throwing a controller through it. But he'd watch Family Guy all the time and I remember the first time seeing it, how amazing the colors looked.

Like seeing hockey in HD for the first time, I dont think I've really been wowed by a TV since. I dont have cable and you cant stream in 4K yet, but a friend of mine just got a new midrange Sony and I keep bugging him to call the cable company and get his STB upgraded but he never remembers/doesn't care nearly as much as I do.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Too bad that remastered Frasier will probably never happen. Be pretty foolish to have my hopes up for the new season. That said, I was able to watch all of Homicide: Life on the Streets last year despite its awful visual quality, because it was just so drat good.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wish my modest little living room could accommodate more than a damned 65".

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I got a TCL 6 series, and I notice a bit of blur around text, especially when I'm running something thats just plain white on black, like playing music through my receiver. What would be the first thing you'd look at in that case? I have replaced the HDMI cable, not as a troubleshooting step though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a TCL Roku. There's no way I'd buy another TV that isn't Google, solely for the chromecast functionality. Yes, you can add with a dedicated chromecast device, but I dont want to have to use another device. I kind of want to move my Shield to the bedroom TV as I dont use it, except for the damned cast feature.

If you've literally never had to cast something or think you never will, roku is fine. Its very simple, responsive enough. But you may find it lacking a bit if you are a tinkerer/power user.

I'm just realizing that you are asking about actual Roku TVs, which I didn't know existed until right now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Often times there are things I'm trying to watch that can only or most easily be accessed on the damned phone, which you then cast to your TV. Roku or FireTV cant do that, though at least FireTV has a browser which you can tediously use in some cases, but it wont allow you to go truly full screen, you'll still have the address bar and controls at the top.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I assume you're in some tiny apartment or something? That's the only excuse for a soundbar

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

A pair of Yamaha HS5 studio monitors for $400 would be highly amusing. They're powered so you don't need a dedicated external receiver or amp, but you'd need to come up with some kind of adapter

I put the hs8 in my home office because covid lockdowns and they are... absolute gross overkill for the task

M-Audio sells a bewildering range of powered studio monitors at all price points, too

Edit: whoops that's not the correct dimensions... At all

I have the Klipsch R-15PMs which are similar, and I love them. They also look real nice. I think there may be an updated version by now. But all the above advice is good.

Hard to recommend the Shield anymore though, unless you can get it for cheap. I only ever use it for chromecasting now, I use the native Roku interface for everything else, except streaming sports which I cant do on either mostly and use a PC for. Its about time something new came out, I would be especially grateful if it had baked in web browsing ability for the aforementioned streaming, though I assume the reason they shy away from that is it would mostly be used for nefarious purposes. Though in mine its legit. I swear!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its hardly a powerhouse today with only 2gb of RAM and an aged processor, they've removed the gamestream functionality, and its 16gb of storage (while expandable ofc) doesn't really cut it. I'm weighing all these factors against the price, which is still quite high.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've probably asked this before. What would your first port of call be to diagnose input lag between receiver and TV? Happens on multiple AVR inputs.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Only in a bedroom can you be excused for using the TV speakers

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know we say "dont buy a HTPC" but I did and its nice being able to just use the browser and ublock for youtube. I do polluteimprove my wife's algorithm sometimes though by watching my poo poo on her profile on the TV as she has premium.

Somebody needs to come up with a HDMI stick thats just a web browser (with ublock) and nothing else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Walmart has the 50" Onn TV for $248 CAD. Not gonna beat that. I think it might have to be my christmas gift to my parents to replace the 46" RCA I bought them 10 years ago which really has no issues aside from the remote being dumb (enter isn't the button in the center of the arrows, its off center in a row below). It'll make my life easier just having the Roku built in, and I assume it'll have CEC which will open up some options for adding some kind of better audio output later on.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Both posts above, CEC isn't perfect. Every few months or so it will crap out with my TCL6/NR676 setup and just unplugging the receiver from the TV and plugging it back in works. I think the future is just plugging everything into your TV if you can and then using ARC for sound (which also isn't perfect). As someone pointed out to me, I believe in another thread, going this route means not having to care what pass through or anything else your receiver has, forgoing a lot of the fancy NET/phone etc integration newer receivers have (which also doesn't work half the time).

Having said all that, gently caress having a nice TV and using its built in speakers.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have never seen any evidence to justify paying more for a mount than whatever the best deal on amazon is

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I used to say dont spend good TV money without getting warranty, now I wouldn't suggest anyone buy any TV without the warranty. Thinking of getting that 50" Onn for my parents for christmas, the 3 year warranty is fuckin $35. Not worth being without. I sure rear end ain't buying an OLED without that safety net.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Doesn't PlayStation offer some kind of cloud service now? Or can you only use that to play from their servers and not in home from your own system?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its extremely frustrating what shambles much of the AV industry is in especially as it relates to formats and standards, all because 95% of people out there would be tickled pink to watch whatever visual excrement they consume on a bottom of the line set, and probably in 720p to boot.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I assume even iphones have the cast icon that will appear on the home page of the yt app, also on the top while a video is being played

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Did I just read Sharp OLED on the last page?

Our house is small and annoying which holds true for our bedroom as well. The TV can only be mounted sideways relative to the bed which means we have to tilt it out when we want to use it and then back in to the wall when we're done so my wife doesn't brain herself against it when getting up to pee during the night or whatever. Would love to have some sort of powered ceiling mount that either tilts down or pockets right up into the ceiling if such a thing exists. All quite ridiculous for the 3 hours a month the thing gets used.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was gonna commend him for not putting it higher. Most people I know have the loving things touching the ceiling.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Anyone knowledgable on Sharp AQUOS sets? My conference room has two that are side by side, guessing they are the same model, but are displaying different aspect ratios or stretch/fill/zoom settings. I was able to "fix" one by going into View Mode -> Dot-by-dot, but they are still mismatched and the other is already at that same setting.

There isn't an aspect/zoom button on the remote?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

MIL has an old Sanyo I urged them not to get that's just got this blue hue basically from new that I was never able to remedy with color settings. They finally got a new TV. What do you think would cause such an issue and how much of a bother would it be to fix for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So the old Sanyo TV has the blue hue? How was it connected? Blue hue reminds me of one of the component cables being loose or unplugged.

It was on any input. They got a Hisense this time