Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I know this isnt really the thread for this but hopefully someone can help. I just got around to mounting my TV on the wall, and I'm looking for essentially what would be a very narrow set of shelving/entertainment center type thing for cable box, DVD player, etc., that sits on the floor, not mounted to the wall.

Space is limited, so pretty much looking for something wide enough for those items. Most of the stuff I see is wall mounted, but I rent and want to limit the amount of holes in the wall. Just not sure how to find exactly what I'm looking for, hopefully someone has some kind of recommendation.

Edit: upon further searching I guess I'm looking for an AV stand.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Yeah AV stand or TV console should get you something. What's your max budget and Max depth?

Well I'm hoping to find something in stores so I can go grab it today, but I can't seem to find anything. I think some kind of regular small shelving unit thing would work fine.

Depth wise, smaller the better. Ideally something like 15x15 or smaller would be best, I don't have anything that large. I've got all the big box stores, along with poo poo like Ikea near me.

I think I would just say gently caress it and do small wall shelves, but I'm not sure how to handle the power cords as the socket is near the floor and I'm not sure how to make it not look stupid.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm kinda in the same boat re: old TV, though mine isn't as old, it's the last model of the Panasonic st60 plasma, 50 inches, and I keep debating on upgrading to a 65 or something, but it still is a pretty nice TV and I don't know if the extra size will be worth it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I have this on my wall already, with a 55“ plasma on it. I know it says up to 55", but say I got something like a 65" c8, I really don't see any reason why it couldn't work, or am I missing something?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It'd probably have more to do with the respective weights rather than the dimensions.

One is 49 lbs and one is 48

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I'm considering replacing my plasma with a 65" TCL 6 series. One thing I'm concerned about though. I have my gaming pc connected to my current TV as a second monitor and I do a good amount of gaming on it. Right now I've got a 1070 for a gpu. Will I have trouble driving games at 4k? Will stuff look like poo poo if I run it at 1080p?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

And the more research I'm doing has me waffling between the TCL and an X900f. If we were going to see TV deals for the super bowl, would they already be going on?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

halokiller posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'll probably get the X900f since I tend to hoard my TVs for a long time (had a Panasonic 50 in TV I bought in 2013 that I'm only begrudgingly replacing since I'm moving to a different state), but if you're planning on replacing it in a couple of years, the TCL can tie you over till then.

Ha, same here, I've got a 50 inch Pana plasma. Just want something bigger.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sorry, another question! So another thing I'm kinda concerned about is viewing angles. All the tvs I'm considering (Sony x900f, tcl 6 series, vizio p series) all seem to have similar viewing angles, I'm assuming same panel type. Looking at reviews it seems the quality drops off pretty quick. The way my living room seating is, a couple spots may be around 40 degrees away. How bad is the degradation in real world use? I'm spoiled by my plasma right now. OLED is out of my budget range at the moment.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

No further discounts on the x900f though. Maybe that will change in another week.

The price on that tcl though is really making me question just going with that instead.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Couple more questions friends, maybe not exactly appropriate for the thread, but are tangentially related to my hopefully soon new TV.

Is the xbox one x good for using as a uhd blu ray player? I was thinking about picking up a console anyway and that would kill two birds with one stone.

I will have a PC connected to the TV. Is there any software that I can install that would give me a similar interface and app availability as a fire stick or roku or whatever? Or am I better off just picking up one of those streaming units?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

So you're saying no one would jump on my VT60 when I switch to OLED in a year or two?

Yea I have an ST60, but I just moved it to my bedroom when I picked up an X900f. I really doubt anyone would pick it up, despite when new being considered to have one of the best pictures ever or whatever. Tvs are just so cheap now that I really don't think there's much resale potential.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Truman Sticks posted:

Has anybody had success playing HDR-enabled PC games on a Sony X900F? For example, enabling HDR for Hitman (2016) makes colors drab while at the same time blowing whites way out. The in-game HDR menu has an intensity slider, but even at the lowest setting the background is almost entirely white and I can't see whatever box they're displaying as a reference.

Crackdown 3 won't even let you enable HDR unless you turn it on globally for Windows 10, but it also looks like poo poo with drab colors. The TV is definitely in HDR mode, with brightness automatically maxed out, but HDR games look super dim.

I've been playing AC: Odyssey on pc in my x900f, and I think the hdr looks great. Could it just be the way the game implements hdr?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I got a 65" x900f a few weeks ago. It's almost too big for the room, but that's what I wanted.

I went to the movies today, and I never thought this would happen, but I think I liked watching my TV better now? It actually seemed to look better to me. This is kinda scary because I love going to the movies.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

qbert posted:

Well most movies are projected at 2K, so the image on your TV from a 4K source is literally better.

I know, I'd just never really had that feeling before. It was surprising.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Any recommendations on universal remotes? I don't have a lot of devices, but my sound bar blocks the ir receiver on my TV and it's driving me up a loving wall. I'm hoping to get a RF remote.

I've had Harmonies in the past, I just don't know how they handle controlling the on tv apps without buying the $300 Elite one with the touchscreen.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I picked up the harmony companion universal remote thing. This thing is magic. I don't know how the hub is able to hit all my ir devices will being inside a cubby underneath my TV, when I couldn't even hit the TV with the OEM remote pointing right at it because of the sound bar. Pretty sweet.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Can someone recommend me a tv? Looking to spend around 750 bucks at Best Buy in gift cards. I play lots of video games and watch YouTube tv on it.

Most likely the TCL 6 series. You can get the 55 inch for around 600 and the 65 inch for around 800. They are the best bang for the buck in that price range.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've got a weird issue with my Sony x900f. If I use the hbogo app and try and watch something, it mutes the TV. I have to pull out my regular TV remote and just turn the volume up one notch for it to come back. This muting stays even if I change back to regular tv or whatever. Anyone have any ideas?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

What a heartwarming series of posts. Person asks what TV to buy then immediately buys suggested TV.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I was very much on the fence about OLED because of potential burn in and went with an X900f instead. I don't regret buying it, it's an amazing tv, but if I was buying now I'd probably go with the C8

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Isn’t the C9 out or almost out?

Yes and as a result the C8s are getting cheaper.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

CordlessPen posted:

Well, right now I use an old laptop as an HTPC and with the years we developed the bad habit of leaving it on the desktop when not in use. Obviously we wouldn't do that on an OLED, but it's gonna be a tough one to break. Better TV apps are going to help though, half the reason we use the laptop so much is that the TV's Netflix/Prime/YouTube apps are such a chore to use.

Same here, and after I got my Sony with Android TV I haven't touched the computer that I hooked back up to it, I've had no need.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Does anyone know if the roku voice remote that has the headphone jack will work with a new TCL 5 series? Specifically will the headphones work.

And if it does, can you even buy it anymore because I can't seem to find it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'll probably just get a new TV stand. Mine's in good shape so I can probably sell it for a decent amount. A lot safer than putting holes in the wall only for the anchors to fail and the TV to crash into the floor.

If you have any studs at all, you can put some plywood between them and mount to the plywood.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

bolind posted:

Went and checked out a 65" LG OLED (C9 I guess) and while the picture quality is really, really nice, I can't quite (and this is first worldest of problems) come to terms with the thick/thin design as the unit is going to be wall mounted.

Is there an alternative? Flatter is better, I don't care about sound, and uniform thickness is important.

I think every TV has some kind of bump on the back for all of the ports and poo poo. I've literally never heard of this bring a problem, how are you mounting it? Any mount I've seen doesn't go flush to the wall.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

American McGay posted:

The 4K TV thread.

Eh, close enough.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I'll ask here. I've got a Sony X900f. Has anyone messed with the steam link app for streaming pc games to the TV? Connecting via hdmi isn't really an option. Also open to other suggestions aside from steam link.

Edit: Goddamn it works. My Xbox one controller even connects to the TV via Bluetooth. The future is crazy!

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 12, 2020

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

qirex posted:

Going to leap in as "cranky old dude" and just state that if you're spending $300 on audio you're really better off with powered bookshelf speakers. Yes they're bigger and need more cables but the sound, particularly voices, you get out of something with a 5" or bigger woofer is entirely superior to all soundbars. It's just physics :science:

Hello maybe you can help. I've been trying to research getting a powered 2.1 or 3.1 system to replace my sound bar and I can't seem to find any straight answers. Would want to be able to control the volume with my harmony remote.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have a small LCD tv that I'm using for vidya games and I'm trying to find a stand for it that will let me rotate it 90 degrees for shmups.

The stand I have no has a rotation feature but since it's a 32" tv on a stand built for a tv that size, I can't rotate the tv without smacking the stand itself.

I think I just need the exact same thing I have now but for a bigger television but i can't find any other stands that allow for rotation in a bigger size.

Any ideas?

Assuming it has a vesa mount, would something like this work?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I saw that one but it doesn't rotate. It use swivels.

Oh duh, my bad. Not sure what your setup looks like, but what about a monitor arm like this?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is there a thread where I could ask some poo poo about my harmony hub+remote and my x900f?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but -

Is there any third party solution for programming Logitech Harmony Remotes? I've been using their remotes for over a decade now, and the software to program them has been getting shittier and shittier. And the latest update to the software for my Harmony 655 has taken away 90% of the customization ability, which really sucks.

I've looked around to see if there's any alternative to the Harmony remotes themselves, but they seem to be the only game in town. Sevenhugs smart remote looks nice and sleek, but I'm not crazy about the lack of any physical buttons, and the $200 price tag is pretty steep given that my current remote still works, just annoyingly.

What about the newer harmony ones that work with the hub? I thought it was a different software to program those.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yea, just buy another remote, you won't lose anything.

I guess I can't disagree with you in that the software kinda sucks, but I only got mildly angry getting it set up.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sacred Cow posted:

I’m about to upgrade from an LG I bought in 2009 to a 65” x900f and want to wall mount it. For the size of the room I’d need an articulating mount and not sure if there’s any preferred brand or model for this kind of thing. This is my first time mounting a TV so I’m trying to avoid wrecking my wall/TV. Don’t worry, it’s not over a fireplace.

I have the same TV on my wall. Pretty much just grab any well reviewed one off Amazon for your size TV.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Krakkles posted:

So, uh, I broke my TV today. I guess I need to get a new one.

Outgoing was a Visio M60-C3, bought on an online Black Friday deal in 2015. I’d like to get a 65” TV, 4K, HDR, and more than 3 HDMI ports.

I’m tempted to just buy the Sceptre from Walmart for $389, but doubt it’s very good. What’s a good, day, sub-$1K choice?

TCL 6 series is usually the default recommendation for this need.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

DrNutt posted:

I have an audio issue with a new Samsung q60t. I was trying to get it set up so that I could actually use the HDR, because apparently it won't function correctly when connected through my A/V receiver. So I said, gently caress it, I'll do some cable spelunking and connect my devices directly to the tv, and then just use the optical audio out the receiver and get my sound that way.

Only now there's no sound. So it seems that with my brand new loving tv I have the option of either not having HDR available or having HDR and using the tv speakers for sound, which is completely unacceptable to me. Anyone have experience with this tv or a model in the same family with any ideas?

I realize this is a very stupid question, but did you change the audio output to Audio Out/Optical?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

My new Sony X850G arrived and it's a huge improvement over the old 1080p it replaced. 24 hours in and annoyances are starting to crop up, though.

Previously we had been using our Xbox One to watch Prime Video. We each have our own account linked through Amazon Family. This was seamless on Xbox because we each had our own profile. Apparently the Google accounts in Android TV aren't actually separate profiles, because my Amazon Prime account stays signed in no matter how many times we change it. To access my wife's library we have to deregister the TV and then log in to Amazon again. What am I missing? Will Roku have the same problem?

I really want to keep the Xbox out of the loop for daily streaming because my wife hates the Harmony remote and Xbox doesn't support CEC.

Looked this up and there's articles from like 2 weeks ago saying that Amazon rolling out multiple profiles on prime video in other countries a la Netflix, and the US hopefully soon after. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it sounds like it will be coming soon.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

seiferguy posted:

This is a random weird issue but when I chromecast from my computer to my vizio's built in function, it automatically sets the TV volume to 100, blasting whatever I'm playing super loud. I cant find a setting in there to change it. Any idea? It's a P series if that makes a difference.

My Sony with chromecast built in does this too, I'm pretty sure if you hit the volume button on your phone (or whatever you're casting with) it will change the tv volume. I only noticed because we use a sound bar and it was sounding echo-ey because the TV speakers had turned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Arcsech posted:

I did this, except my plasma was (I think) one of the last models Panasonic made, purchased in 2013. Upgraded to a C9 early this year.

loving do it if you have the cash. It's not even a question. Every single aspect of this TV is way better than the old one. Hell, I might prefer this TV over going to the theater (tho I haven't had the chance to compare as I haven't been to the theater since I got it, because quarantine).

Hell, even my 65" Sony x900f has kinda ruined the theatre experience for me, it just looks so much better.