Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Samsung has one "flagship" and then some lower specc'd models coming out this year versus the usual full range. They drop around the same time as panasonic, so I'm playing the waiting game to see what they have that competes with the ST60.

I've waited forever to upgrade, so at this point a gt or zt model at 2-3x the price seems silly when I'll want to replace it with a 4k set in a few years (2-3 years?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Does anyone know what's up with the 60 inch ST60? It's been sold out since late june/early july. I'd very much like to buy one but I can't find it anywhere and no one knows when the next batch will be...

I waited on the ST50 since I was coming into it so late and the ST60 was around the corner..at this point it's looking like I might as well wait for the ST70.

All my audio gear is sitting in boxes, waiting..mocking me.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I was all set to grab a vt60, but then I happened to google a little and see there's some crazy loud rear end fan problem with all VT and ZT...Anyone experience this first hand here? I'd like to get something and it looks like the options are this, a 8500 for even more money or see what gets announced for 2014 at CES in a few weeks.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I went for the vt60, just hoping the dudes on avs are being really spergy and it's not terrible or anything. I'm going to have it hooked up to a 3.0 sound system, so it's not like I'm using the onboard TV volume anyway and hopefully it'll overtake any fan whine.

Hope I don't regret it!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If I'm owning a film I'd rather have a blu ray copy that averages at a 20Mbps bitrate, then a netflix h.264 stream (or amazon/itunes copy) that averages 6Mbps.

Just like there are a ton of people that can't discern between a CD or flac and a lower quality mp3 encode, I'm sure the people that do care about that quality gap are in the minority. For things I care about I'll gladly take the least compressed version I can get. There's no reason this doesn't carry on with UHD (which hopefully stays in the same ballpark size wise thanks to h.265)..

I'll be the first person to throw money at the criterion collection in 3840x2160. Couple more years at best I'd wager. Then I can rebuy 'em all at 7680x4320 when we go FUHD (really? fu hd?)

Besides....the average internet connection speed in the US is still under 9 megs. Games still press on blu ray (xbox and playstation)...optical media isn't going anywhere.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Viper_3000 posted:

Arri doesn't even make a 4k camera yet. So far your options camera wise are the Sony, Blackmagic, and the Red. Anything else is 2k at best.

The Arri Amira (smaller alexa focused on location work) just got a 4k firmware update.

The Arri Alexa 65 shoots higher then 4k native. (6560 x 3102)

Most shoots done on FHD also have uncompressed SDI-in recorders going as well (they bypass internal compression).

You're right that SFX/VFX is done in 2k and then upscaled..rendering in 4k makes no sense..yet. Rendering power/time/storage, etc. I doubt you'll really be able to tell though.

And the industry is well aware of the looming consumer switchover to 4k. Skyfall (the last james bond film) was shot on an alexa. Spectre, the bond film currently in production, is being shot on 35mm. I'll bet a part of that is sony pictures (the distributor) making sure they can pull 4k or even 8k scans from the negative for UHD and beyond. (plus the DP shot interstellar on film and is a pretty big fan of it, so, that too)

UHD blurays in the back half of this year will be the actual content tipping point (and I'd guess if they actually sell or not being the biggest factor). I don't really see the point of streaming UHD at the bitrates it exists. When a 1080p blu ray is night and day above a 4k stream..well... yeah.

Remember, the US is 11th in internet speed. Broadcasts are still done in 720/1080i.

4k should be more of a talking point this time next year..let's hope. I'm not tossing out my FHD set anytime soon though.

e: and gaming! the newest consoles have trouble pushing 1080p/60. It takes a multi gpu solution to hit playable 4k frame rates (at least 2x 970s)...

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 23, 2015

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

bull3964 posted:

Will UHD blu-ray have the same fate?

Most likely. I don't see how it won't be niche for videophiles, especially looking at the adoption rates of normal blu ray. Everyone else will be happy with streaming options though...

If that means we only get limited releases like the criterion collection, I'm totally cool with it. And I'll even rebuy em in 8k (cough ron fricke cough)

Viper_3000 posted:

The Amira firmware isn't a true 4K though, it's upscaled.

It upscales 3.2k to 3.8! Kinda awesome.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2015

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
That's going to kill the market totally. You're most likely right, but it will have to distill down to some kind of across the board standards over time. Look at HDDVD and blu ray in the same market, and that wasn't as proprietary as what you're describing.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 23, 2015

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

bull3964 posted:

That's why I'm not very optimistic about all of this.

The studios crave control. Race to the bottom tanked DVD margins so they tried to prop them up with blu-ray. Blu-ray resisted for awhile, but then they tanked too. It's just not possible to consume that much shelf-space in retail and not be subject to market forces. Stores want to move volume and they aren't going to do that with MSRP. Now, on blu-ray, you already have this sort of lovely situation where the Target version of the blu-ray will have x special feature while the Best Buy one will have y special feature. If you want a comprehensive release, you have to buy the movie 3 times over half the time. This is all an effort to both prop up margins and to negotiate for prominent shelf space in the various retailers. Then you have vendors like Amazon who follow their own rules for pricing that further devalue the market.

Streaming is their out. Releasing on UHD blu-ray will be more of the same, margin erosion until UHD blu-rays are in the $5 bargin tub at Best Buy. They DO NOT want this again. Streaming works differently since the content is really just being licensed and there's no physical product to stock. Prices are much more stable. Big Hero 6 blu-ray is 53% off MSRP on amazon at $18. Big Hero 6 3d on Vudu is $34.99 and it will likely always be $34.99. That's also why they've been doing digital releases weeks before the blu-ray release. Margin is much higher on the digital release so they're hoping a timed exclusive will push people in that direction.

So, you have physical media + premium product yet again with UHD blu-ray and the studios already know that this does not work out well for them in the long term. 4k streaming is already here now, so it's going to be much easier for the studios to ignore a physical format and focus on the thing they can more tightly control.

It all leads back to this country having incredibly lovely internet across the board. Netflix 4k (we'll call it "4k") is out for anyone with bandwidth caps. h265 is going to be super fun because all of a sudden you're going to have a ton of folks that can't handle HEVC at all without upgrading something (tv, receiver, player, etc).

A smart way to go would be reverting back to the redbox/old netflix model but using self booting flash media. UHD files are quickly loaded from a server with insane bandwidth onto a small portable flash stick. Users pay a small fee to own the stick (so no one loses or resells them)..Sticks are able to plug into any capable display and play using their own headless software..content erases itself after licensing period is up. You'd just need to lower the cost ratio on 64/128 gig flash media for it to be viable...

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
These 3 links should help anyone on the fence with the 1080p or 4k now? debate...

80% of the US doesn't have the bandwidth to stream 4k.

Live broadcast (sports, events) isn't happening anytime soon.

UHD Blu Ray was announced in May, and we got our look at the first UHD BR player to be sold a few days ago. It's $3,300. Next up is Samsungs player sometime in 2016. No firm date for the UHD discs yet, sometime in 2016 is the best we have. What will be interesting to see is how movies shot in 2.8k (arri alexa camera) are upscaled to 4k for this vs scans at 4k of older 35mm/70mm shot things.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Y'all will appreciate this..

I bought a vt60 in 2013 in a rush when everyone started talking about it being the last wave of panny plasma but didn't really have time to set it up.

So it stayed in the box brand new until last week...It was my hidden shame. Only 2 friends knew I had this insane TV in storage that I never actually used and they gave me a ton of poo poo for it..

Ladies and gentleman, I finally set it up..only 4 years late!

And god drat, what a tv. I'm an idiot.

There was a hot minute there where I wondered what a NIB 60 inch vt60 would go for among the sperglords at AVS. I think I paid around 1700 at the time..

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I told myself when 50% of what I watch is in 4k/HDR then I'll make the jump from a vt60 plasma. Right now it's 85% of the content being 1080p streams or 1080 high bitrate blu ray and I can't make the justification when this set is still beautiful.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ultimate Mango posted:

You may pry my 2010 Panasonic plasma out of my cold dead hands, sir.

I will probs go OLED if it ever dies, but most of my friends have been through 2-3 televisions since I got this Panny and it’s still going strong.
My worry with OLED is the TV is on here 12+ hours a day, and burn in would be a problem. Strangely our plasma has no burn in we can see.

I would buy another new plasma if I could.

Same. Hard to give up a vt60 right now when 90% of what I watch is either high bit rate 1080p or older SD stuff uprezzed. As soon as uhd becomes more common I'll make that jump but I still don't think it's as ubiquitous as fhd yet, especially when almost all broadcast is still 720p.

Same reason I still rock a 1600p monitor for now. It'd be silly to try and find a FHD tv if you're in the market for a new unit at this point but if you've got a really solid tv already I wouldn't go crazy replacing it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Post-conversion 3d is pretty weak anyway and it seems like in response to the lack of 3d in home sets we're not really getting many true 3d films at this point.

I feel pretty safe in buying UHD versions of films. If an 8k version of optical media comes out you have to figure most 35mm films are already at most of the possible resolution achievable at 4k scans. (Obviously, this would depend on a ton of factors on the negative, and things like 65/70mm negative would actually benefit). You'd probably just see what is happening now, newer releases shot on 8k sensors being native, and then older things shot on film upscaled from 4 to 8. I highly doubt studios will pay for a second scan at 8k for minimal gains if they've done one at 4k..and even then it'll be a long time before you start seeing new transfers in 4k being done en masse (like blu vs dvd)..Maybe less so when criterion jumps into UHD.

I feel like I waited out the format and won't be quadruple dipping like a ton of my friends (vhs > dvd > blu > uhd).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My experience it was freight shipped and they opened the box so I could inspect the screen for any damage before they left. I think they would have powered it on as well except it came in Dec. so you can't really do it safely until it acclimates.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
So you're saying no one would jump on my VT60 when I switch to OLED in a year or two?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Number_6 posted:

There are a few plasma purists (like me) who still aren't quite sold on OLED or LCDs for various reasons. I've looked at 2 or 3 used Panasonic plasmas, with serious intent to buy, if they didn't have any issues. But if you look hard enough at an old plasma, you are probably going to find issues. (I brought a USB drive with me with some test patterns for grayscale, uniformity, color purity, etc. ) I turned down one because while it had no detectable burn in or uniformity issues, it was just too dim for my living area, and it had overly aggressive ABL. I turned down another because it had slight burn-in from a particular network logo, and one side of the screen had a slight pink tint. But if your plasma is still basically perfect, to the right buyer it might be worth a hundy or two.

I'll let you know when I upgrade. I bought the VT60 in the last month they were available in dec of '13, didn't realize the box was basically twice the size of the TV which made it incredibly impractical to move about and put setting it up on the backburner.... until summer of 2017 (didn't mean to take 3 years to use it, trust me). It's only fed by kodi, so no channel logos/bugs ever, and a constant rotation of aspect ratios. It's been pro calibrated. Because it was made in the last manufacturing batch it avoided all the weird fan/buzzing issues that seemed to be an issue for people.
I baby this thing, it has a fraction of the hours it should have considering when I bought it, 0 burn in.... good to know some AVS nerd would be into it when I make the 4k jump.

It'll be hard to give up, the thing is a beast for 1080 content.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Phone OLED burn in has been rough. I switched over with the galaxy s6, then had the 8, 9 and now the 10. 6-9 all had status bar burn in, keyboard burn in etc, the 10 doesn't so far. I don't think I'd go for an OLED monitor unless I started autohiding all the UI elements or something

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

H110Hawk posted:

You don't have a choice here unless your TV has a cablecard inside it. That cablebox nightmare is the way to go.

If you do have a CableCARD I found that WMC and a tuner was faster and better to deal with then the cablebox I was offered and the encoding was nicer too, no clue if that's still the case in 2020. It seemed like a ton of content had flags being set that were incredibly restrictive to the point where it was comical..talk about gently caress consumers.

0x01 - Copy No More - A copy of the content has already occurred and no more copies are permitted.
0x02 - Copy Once - A recording can be made, but that is it.
0x03 - Copy Never - the content can be recorded and viewed for 90 minutes after transmission (deleted after 90 minutes), and is not transferable.

Unless you're getting some crazy cheap bonus to bundle in the tv stuff with the internet I would just take half of whatever that monthly cable bill is and then put that into monthly subs instead. After a few months, you'll know which subs are useless to you and cut it even further down from there.
If you need to be able to channel surf, I'd look into live tv streaming subs like youtubetv, sling, etc first.

I really don't think I could go back to how I used to consume television. Being able to snag a season at a time either after it finishes up or when it drops in its entirety on the first day and then watch it on my schedule, one show at a time with the bonus of having to not see ads has been such a nice QoL improvement that's spoiled me.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
how do you guys handle 25fps content? personally i'm letting the media player convert it to 24 and handle syncing the audio, with the downside that i'm no longer passing through to the avr and resampling..but then the avr can upmix that back to 5.1 anyway, and it's pretty hard to notice the quality loss or difference in the untouched mix vs the resampled upmix

tried a few different methods and that's what i settled on for smooth playback

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If I was that anal about calibration I wouldn't go with an OLED with really bad motion handling like the LG OLED in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I'm not sure I follow. Is this about the "stutter" that rtings reports on for 24p content? Because if that's it, 24p content is always 24p content, the only reason it might look smoother on an LCD based display is because the significantly slower pixel response times provides some feeling of "smoothness" that isn't actually there, and is also actively disruptive to times when you want to see clearly in a fast panning shot.

Yeah, there's motion resolution. LG OLED score pretty low here, blame sample and hold. If you don't notice stutter in camera motion you're lucky, cuz it drives me crazy. Sadly the only way around it is to choose a compromise..you can do black frame insertion (no thanks), or you can smooth motion out..which is the very thing creatives are trying to rally against. On the LG stuff you'd go into the motion settings and find an acceptable compromise setting that works for you. I hate smoothing as much as I hate stutter, so either option kinda sucks.

I want the motion handling of PWM and the image quality of OLED in one display..someday?