Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Can I ask about projectors in here? The 'suggest a cheap projector' doesn't have an OP and isn't really active. I'm looking for a projector 101 article somewhere that I can use to learn about all the factors I need to consider when looking at projectors. Stuff like what is throw distance, how does zoom affect quality, and does it matter that my living room has an entire wall made out of windows?

I was hoping AVS forums would have a good thread on projector 101 stuff, but I couldn't find one. Any good primer material would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

With black friday coming up, it's time to replace my 32" from 2007. I'm aiming for a 55" but I'd like bigger (55" just seems to be in my price range. I'd like to spend $600-700, maybe a little more if I can get something good.

What suggestions do goons have for something in this range?

I've been referred to this [ur=http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M552i-B2-55-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00JP7OW9E#productDetailsl]Vizio[/url] as a good model with 240hz refresh, but I don't really know much about refresh rates. I don't care at all about smart TV features (I have a HTPC) or sound quality. I just want a good picture.

Do I really care about refresh much? I'll be using the TV for movies, steambox games, and some xbone gaming too. No sports. I saw one guide referencing anything over 120hz is a waste for anything except sports and another guide saying get the highest I can afford.

If 4k was within a bit of my budget I'd consider it, though I haven't tried any 4k media yet so it's not a pressing concern. I'd like to have a TV that'll last me maybe 3-5 years before I really dump money into it.
E: is that $1k 4k above a really good deal? It's more than I expected to spend but if it's something amazing I could consider it...

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 10, 2014

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

AppleCider posted:

I believe Discover's price protection will work on Black Friday items. That might be another route if you can afford to wait for a refund from Discover.

It looks like it would, but they have a max of $500 per claim and the discount is $650.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 10, 2014

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

I reached out to Amazon to see what they could do to match the $1k Vizio:

Rest assured that I will get back to this thread with what happens

Their ToS explicitly says one day sales won't be matched, but they've been known to bend the rules. Here's hoping you get through and set a precedent for everyone else.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

One of the slick deals posters said that their Sam's manager told them the sale won't be online, but the ad says to find the deal in store or online. Misinformation abounds and nobody seems to know what's what.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

There's an online listing, it just says in store only

Yeah that's what I'd hope for. I just meant that a poster said he asked a manager and was told that it won't be available at that price online. Of course, that's just one dude, but it was still something to think about.

How do Sam's deals online work? Do they go live at midnight? It'd be good to have a fallback plan.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

Big deal for text. Not a big deal for games.

I have a HTPC running XBMC. Does this mean that a non-4:4:4 display will be poo poo for the menus? I'd imagine some things are okay, as Netfix, game consoles, etc. all have text based menus as well.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

It will look fine at large text sizes

10ft interface you arn't gonna see a problem. You will see a problem if you are sitting at a desk in front of these things actually using it as a monitor.

Oh I get it. So it's just when you're sitting a foot or two from the screen. Good to know!

How can anyone do that with a screen this big and not :barf: everywhere. I have to sit two feet from my 24" or I get nauseous.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

So I found out my old amp doesn't do HDMI or Optical Audio, and the new one I just ordered does both

I assume HDMI is better, less cables and faster 'signal' etc, or is audio better served through an optical connection?

For reference it's into a LG 50LA6900, and the amp is Denon AVR-E200

They're basically the same thing, but HDMI will support Dolby TrueHD and the big one, DTS-HD Master Audio, which is the highest quality sound you can get. Whether or not you'll notice is another topic for discussion, but if you can do HDMI, just do it.

Also, you can use ARC to send TV audio back to your receiver over HDMI so you'll hear menus and smart TV apps and poo poo through your speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:Vizio 60" 4k deal is LIVE online now! GO GO GO:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: