Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Moving from a 720p LCD that wouldn’t die to the LG CX is so vivid in 4K it’s kind of hurting my eyes. This is a stupid question and the I’m sure the real answer is “get used to it”, but I read there’s an actual setting for this and can’t find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks for the advice. I’ll switch to Dark Room and give it a little time to grow on me. If it doesn’t I’ll look into actual calibration.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've got an LG CX with stock speakers. I have Dolby Atmos for headphones and do most of my HD watching via Xbox Bluray and Netflix with cans on.

No space in our tiny condo for a true surround setup or anything. Is a soundbar even worth it? Would the difference in quality be enough to make me give up the headphones? Fairly impressed with Dolby Atmos for headphones. I'd kind of like to ditch them for non-gaming use because I always forget to take them off when I get up and inevitably the controller comes crashing down to the floor.

I know this is a YMMV situation, but testing them out in electronics stores isn't helping me. Just looking for general IRL goon impressions.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FilthyImp posted:

Well do you want a cheap 2.1 replacement or one of the 5.1.4 systems or one of the massively expensive Sony bars?

The short of it is that any bar with a sub will help make the low frequencies pop in a very distinct way from even a good pair of headphones. Atmos probably won't be as effective as the headphones if that's what you're explicitly looking for.

I'm honestly not sure. Wouldn't need the top-tier Sony bar. Perhaps a mid-range bar would be suitable. Atmos-specific content is still relatively limited (though it is supposed to help with any 5.1 audio source) so I'll probably stick with headphones for dedicated Atmos content and use the bar for everything else.

god this blows posted:

I honestly wish I could have a full 5.1 system but I settled for a Sonos Beam soundbar and while it isn’t as good as a full setup it seems to be a decent compromise. The bass isn’t as crazy as having a dedicated subwoofer but it’s good enough to give you immersion. I got the refurbished one from BestBuy on a saw and it was like $250 which while expensive I figured was decent as it plays music really well.

This seems like a good compromise for regular use. Thanks both of you!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FilthyImp posted:

For what it's worth, Sonos had a blowup last year around this time when people found out the "Legacy" mode on their products (used when upgrading to newer poo poo) completely bricked the units and created instant e-waste.

There was also a plan to just brick older, unsupported Sonos gear that got quickly walked back.

Also, there's currently some 2.1 bars on sale at Target for $100 (TCL and Vizio, iirc).

Yikes. Glad I didn’t buy one yet. That’s incredibly lovely.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Remember those cheesy “crazy CGI” compilation DVDs they made years ago? Is there a modern equivalent of that on YouTube? I don’t even know what it would contain at this point... I guess something like “Love, Death & Robots”?

Basically, what’s the modern stoner poo poo to watch in 4K?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Good call. Actually pretty much the first thing I did when I got my LG CX was binge the recent David Attenborough docs.

edit: My LG CX seems to decrease in volume while watching TV. Doesn't happen with games, but Netflix for instance I find myself continually having to raise the volume. Is this a known issue? Am I just crazy and/or have bad ears?

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 31, 2020

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Netflix it is then. Appreciated.

ufarn posted:

Hook up your headphones to your TV and check out one of the 4K binaural videos.

Welp, now I can't get off the sofa. Thanks!

I also ordered the Dolby Vision/Atmos 5-disc set of the Transformers Bayology. If I ride the line of intoxication just right those kinda blow my mind, for a variety of reasons. :shepicide:

Follow-up question: I’ve got what looks like a stuck pixel. All-white. Not a big deal to be honest, is it common with an LG OX or OLEDs in general?

double edit: that YouTube problem even occurs on my Android-outfitted treadmill.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 1, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m in the same boat. It’s a beautiful game, but neither of those HDR settings helped and my TV was in HDR mode every time.

Forza Horizon 4 is the perfect suggestion, it glows.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I asked about this is the Xbox thread, but Googling makes me think perhaps it’s better suited for here.

I tried watching a UHD Blu-ray via Xbox last night, and the picture cut out. The answer was to disable 24hz mode on the Xbox. But that mode is supposed help eliminate shudder while watching movies. I have an LG CX. Is there a way to optimize this?

edit: maybe the app is just wonky. It happened again tonight, so I just stop and started it a few times and it worked.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 9, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Unpopular opinion: I recently had some problems getting 24hz working on my LG CX, which led me down a rabbit hole to True Motion. Eventually, the last thing I did was turn it off.

I honestly have to say I prefer it on. For what it’s worth, I really love the HFR movies that have been released. Am I the only idiot who feels like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm actually starting to like a lower level of interpolation on streaming content (it's really good for anime), but I still turn it off for film; too smooth.

Glad I’m not completely brainbroken. I just went back and forth with it and realized for film it really is pretty goofy; the novelty of it is interesting more than anything. Hadn’t tried animation until now, but I can see myself leaving it on for awhile for that.

My LG CX still refuses to play 24hz mode Blu-rays from the Xbox for more than a minute or two. I see a lot of complaints online about this being a common issue but no fixes other than to turn 24hz mode off. Honestly I don’t particularly notice any difference in the two; is it possible the CX is fixing this on its own? Looking at the input stats it does clearly show 24hz/60hz though. :confused: