Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I remember some decent 0% interest / no money down deals in previous years, but I wouldn't expect Black Friday prices. If you're willing to wait until after the Superbowl and hunt a little, it should be a good time for open-box deals.

On the other hand, there should already be plenty of options for 40" TVs around $400. What are your priorities? 3D? Smart? Picky about picture quality? Are budget TV input/output options OK?

Here you go - Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50 for $529 with $100 credit for Amazon purchases...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L42E50-42-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00752R9PK

Baby Proof fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I'm looking at new TVs for the first time in 10 years; thanks for updating the OP, it was really useful. My main 42" 3d tv isn't really appropriate for the room it's in now, too small and it has really bad reflections / glare. I'm talking about < 10' viewing distance, so realistically, I'd probably be happy with any modern 55" tv, but there's so many choices to consider.

A few questions:
  • When TVs list a 3.5mm audio out in their specs, that's a headphone jack, right? Can I just attach that to my old stereo directly and have volume controlled by the TV? I have an optical / DAC converter on my current TV - but its RCA out causes some problems with my stereo.
  • How bad is off-angle viewing with a VA panel? With my current layout, occasionally someone would watch at 35-40 degrees. I can live with skin tones looking a little off as long as its not silly.
  • When someone talks about OLED screen lifetimes, that's just the active lifetime, right?
  • Are there any modern "future-proofing" features that I should be thinking about? Don't really care about surround sound technologies or high-refresh gaming, but would HDMI 2.1 or native 120hz input be useful for connecting to streaming boxes a few years from now?

Baby Proof fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 28, 2022

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

codo27 posted:

Frequenting threads like this makes me question the very nature of the internet forum. OPs quickly become obsolete or ineffective, we need stickies that appear at the top of every page to cut down on "what x should I buy" questions. You can still have the discourse for the more intricate details but the same questions that are asked daily should have their answers provided more readily

I have to admit I didn't think about checking the OP right away and it was a pleasant surprise to see that it was up to date.
As far as future-proofing I'm just trying to imagine some scenario where 120hz input matters to me. Some new motion interpolation gets invented in the future or high refresh broadcasting for sports.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Are there any decent TV price aggregator sites?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/deals is kind of useful. But annoying that they hardly ever post the tv's size, just the model.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I'm guessing you mean the Costco R7G5 model? Did you compare it to the U6GR5?

Also, the Costco website shows that R7G5 has VRR support, which I highly doubt. Is there any indication that feature is available.?

Or did you mean the U7G?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Oh, of course, you said it was half the price of the C1, not 1/4 the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Has anyone come up with a good reuse for TV screen protectors? A big sheet of sticky plastic like that has to be good for something.