Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, everyone is brokebrained about something.

Beyond SOE, I don't know how anyone can stand the number of artifacts that Truemotion creates. I have a Dejudder 1 Deblur 1 setup on one picture mode due to my C6's lack of handling 60hz progressive inputs properly so I turn it on sometime and it doesn't take long to start seeing interpolation artifacts. On live action stuff (as long as there's not huge swaths of the same color on screen) it's mostly ignorable, but animation is all messed up. Distractingly messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Next gen OLED panels have been on the horizon for a bit and a lot of people expected them for the 2020 generation. The current generation of panels are all just tweaks on the 2016 models. Looks like they are dealing with any yield issues by confining the new panels to a specific model line.

I'm more interested in what the implications are for other aspects of the panel besides brightness though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Passive 3d on 4k HDR OLEDs is amazing.

No resolution loss since it's interleaved lines on a 4k TV.

No flicker since it's simply a polarization filter (same with no batteries and the polarization of RealD 3d from theaters is the same so you can just keep the glasses from the theater to add to your collection.)

HDR gives the TV extra headroom to increase brightness of an HDR image to overcome the brightness reduction from the glasses.

Perfect black means raising the overall brightness doesn't elevate black level.

This leads to a well defined image with full dynamic range and zero crosstalk. 3d on my C6 looks better than the best theaters and I often times prefer the 3d version of a movie to the 4k HDR one.

If this was the implementation of 3d for the home right out of the gate, it would be huge right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Screens are RGBW, so a full white screen is predominantly going to use the white pixels. So, if the issue is with some other color, it would be masked.

Try an all red screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mister Facetious posted:

If you want a good test, try experimenting with 'The Boys' or 'American Gods' on Amazon Prime; They're filmed in a cinematic style, but at 30fps since they're made for tv. I use Clear on my Hisense as putting it on Smooth introduces some weird artifacting.

They aren't 30fps, they are 24fps (23.976 to be exact.)

Pretty much nothing is filmed at 30fps.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 12, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Compensation cycle is not for burn in, it's for Image Retention.

The backplane of the display can hold a residual charge from a static image. The compensation cycle is meant to level out the residual voltage across the backplane so you have consistency in how each pixel performs.

Now, I guess you could argue that if IR isn't erased, then IR that isn't cleared could eventually cause the pixels to wear differently and cause burn in. However, pulling power isn't going to do that necessarily. In fact, removing power for a prolonged period of time can be pretty effective in removing IR due to the fact that all residual charge in the set ends up draining out.

I'm not 100% sure what the mechanism is behind the prolonged compensation cycle that you can run from the menu (or runs automatically after like 4000 hours), but I suspect it's just a more rigorous and cycles the backplane between min and max values to level set everything.

Burn in is simply wear and it's cumulative. Nothing more, nothing less. Higher the OLED Light, more accelerated the wear. Red wears the worse so red and yellow are bad.

Showing a loop over and over can absolutely cause burn in on an oled on a long enough timeframe depending on what it's comprised of. Considering that Target's main color is red, I'm guessing a 5 second graphic looped once every few minutes for a year might have been enough to do it in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That said, you mention about so little 4k content? There's a shitton.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, Doggles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thing that bothers me about that picture is if you have a room like that, it really doesn't need a TV because you probably have another den or something that's more appropriate for TV viewing.

That room is to enjoy your scotch by the fire while you wistfully watch snow fall outside.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pro move for that room is to hide a screen in those curtains on the windows on the right and then have a projector stealth mounted on the opposite wall.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unfortunately, minimum buy in for both functional HDR and wide color gamut is about $600 at 55" (or $1000 at 48").

There are a few tvs in the 43" range that have wide color gamut with HDR in name only, but they are in the $500 range.

Maybe the Hisense 43R6090G would be an ok choice, but it has neither good HDR or wide color gamut.

Most of what's in that size and price range is functionality the same and lack the nice features for to make the console games look good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ARC sucks, it pretty much always has. Maybe eARC really does improve upon it, but I have my doubts.

Only way to really ensure a/v sync with external audio sources it to run them through an AVR where you have control over the delay value.

FWIW my C6 is the exact opposite problem to my denon over ARC (and SPDIF as well). PCM audio is delayed from the picture (meaning no amount of additional delay is going to fix it) while DD audio is in sync fine.

ARC also can't do lossless audio either, so relying on it to get audio from external sources to your sound system was always a compromise.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 10, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not elegant, but the Sonos Arc appears to have an optical port.

https://www.amazon.com/eSynic-Switc...12916476&sr=8-3

Bypass the TV and go directly from the sources into the soundbar.

Actually, if the only external source you have is the PS5, you wouldn't even need the switch.

Edit:

Oh, I see, not optical out on the PS5.

Then get this

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digit...ps%2C140&sr=8-3

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 10, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Spec sheets say it does.

The thing, a different model tv isn't a sure bet that you won't run into the same issue. ARC just isn't great for external sources and most use cases are connecting to 2.1 sound systems so they usually only check PCM.

Hell, you are actually kinda lucky that the TV is reporting a 5.1 capable edid. It wasn't too long ago that TVs only reported their two internal speakers to external devices and anything other than 2.0 was locked out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mini led is great and I have no doubt if implemented well in the Samsung sets that it will help with contrast and black level.

That said, "as good as OLED" in these categories doesn't necessarily make it good enough to charge OLED prices as there are still other aspects to overall image quality along with the nearly constant issue of Samsung QC in their TVs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Most AV equipment shuts off its processing when it gets no signal. Then when the signal starts back up, yeah it has to work through what the signal is and switch to the right mode.

That's why devices like the nvidia shield have settings like "Play comfort noise on HDMI". They play an inaudible signal over the connection to keep the AV equipment active so there's no delay in starting everything up.

I suspect that's what's happening when you change into PCM mode. In PCM mode, the TV is keeping the audio channel active since it's the one handling the audio processing. When in Passthrough, the TV isn't able to do that anymore since it's completely out of the loop when it comes to audio, that's coming directly from the app. That's very similar to how it works on the ShieldTV, the play comfort noise doesn't work when you turn off the internal DD processing.

3-4 seconds sounds excessive, but this is pretty much on the soundbar.

LPCM doesn't contain any metadata, just uncompressed audio channels, so it's hard to say what you might be missing out on from an Atmos perspective with your setup. In a traditional 7.1 setup, LPCM could contain the height channels as long as the source decodes them properly and puts them in the right assignment in the 7.1 output. What I don't know is if an atmos capable soundbar is able to also recognize that 7.1 LPCM signal and do whatever virtual atmos stuff with the 2 channels that contain the decoded height data or if the soundbar needs to be getting the Dolby Digital signal with metadata to do it properly.

This is where you are going to have to trust your ears. If you want to eliminate the start delay, keep it on LPCM. If you want the soundbar to do the decoding, use passthough. A/B some Atmos content to see if you notice a difference.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 11, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

fuf posted:

Are there any other mid range soundbars that don't have this problem?

All external sound stuff that does processing does this to some extent or another. I think my Denon AVR is around 2 seconds or so. I don't know that anyone has sat down a cataloged these delay values.

I would wager the reason why it's not talked about more is it really is only something that pops up at the start of playback (or when you pause and resume) so it's not really viewed as an issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UHD content isn't 4:4:4, it's 4:2:0.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, PC stuff can output 4:4:4, but video is lower chroma because you don't need that much accuracy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Any tv they are going to say you have to transport upright. And you really should because they aren't designed to have loads along the panel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know I am not the person this is directed to but I have "play comfort noise on HDMI" turned on on my Shield TV and it doesn't make a difference. Whenever I pause something and unpause it, it takes a good 4 or 5 seconds before I hear any audio. It's really annoying for certain shows because we always end up having to rewind right after resuming. Nothing I seem to do fixes it. The receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR575 and I don't see any options on it to fix this (like I said I have the comfort noise option turned on in the Shield settings and it does nothing).

Do you have dolby processing turned on in the shield config? That needs to be active for the comfort noise to work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I don't own an AppleTV, but that was one of the big reasons why I didn't consider one.

If they fix this properly (along with some other DV glitches) I could see myself picking up a next gen model whenever they come out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, just under advanced sound settings. Under "Surround Sound" section there's a switch for "Dolby audio processing".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Oddly enough I don't see it anywhere. Are my Shield settings different than yours? It's the 2nd latest version (2017 I believe?)

It should be in the first screenshot. I have a 2019 so maybe that's different since they added atmos. Sorry.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's absolutely nothing that says the LOTR IMAX release is going to be 60fps.

They're just showing the 4k remaster on the biggest screen in the theater. That's it.

Given the bad reception the HFR Hobbit got, there's no way they would turn people away with an interpolated HFR version of LOTR at a time when they are trying everything to get people in theaters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know there was a 60fps trailer floating around youtube that some fan created from the 4k blu-rays.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HFR Hobbit made me nauseous and ensured I will never see a HFR movie in the theaters again, At on top of that, it made it look cheap (and like you say, a stage production) to boot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

codo27 posted:

I was at KFC couple weeks ago and they have paper straws here now and a lady stormed out to her car to get a plastic one cause she "just cant use the paper ones". Saying you cant look at the soap opera effect is pretty much the same as that. SOE makes things look more natural, real life isn't in slow motion the way film has unfortunately almost always been. Artifacting is unfortunate but its a worthwhile tradeoff. You dont watch sports and say "man, I really wish this was broadcast in 23.43892748392748932 fps right now, would be so much nicer" why cling to film and TV being stuck like that? Has to be fixed eventually. Its just one of those things where old school flimmakers are holding things back, once they croak I gotta believe things will improve.

Nope.

HFR has been tried for like half a century. It keeps getting rejected by audiences. 24fps started as an economical and technical limitation, but it's firmly baked into the public consciousness now.

The higher the framerate, the more like a stage production or cheap video production the perception is. That's not changing anytime soon, not as long as the primary way we view media is in a fixed box some distance in front of our eyes. Motion matters when it comes to portraying stuff. That's why miniatures are shot at higher framerate and then slowed down for display to give them a greater sense of weight. When you look beyond the origins, there are real psychological reasons why 24fps isn't going anywhere.

Also, with the reliance on CG in modern movies, we have a LONG way to go before we can animate realistic CG objects at higher frame rates and not have it look like a weightless video game.

The live event argument is a strawman. Live events are real things, movies are not. Trying to make movies too real has the opposite effect on the audience often times. Do you think everything in movies should be rendered in realistic colors as well? Flat, natural looking color grading, no stylistic flair? What about field of view? Should we call on directors to only film stuff with 50mm lenses to more accurately reflect a human's field of view and proportions? All of that makes it more "real" too.

And no, the artifacts created by frame interpolation are not worth it. It's garbage. The glitches are eyesores that yank you right out of whatever you are watching. It's massively distracting, I can't even tolerate having the lowest setting turned on with my oled because the glitches are so prominent.

In other framerate news, I'm delighted to discover that the Chromecast with GoogleTV has a 1080i60 output! This is important since forcing it to 24fps mode isn't always feasible and my C6 can only utilize Real Cinema (native 3:2 undoing) on 1080i60 inputs. It's now my go to device for HD SDR content because of that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

blue squares posted:

So I think I should stop using the receiver for video and have it just route audio from the TV to the speakers

No, the sources are not in 120hz even if you have a 120hz TV. Nearly everything out there is 24fps. 120hz TV just means that you can display it at an even cadence (repeat each frame 5 times). Sources will either send stuff to the TV as 4k24hz or 4k60hz (with 3:2 pulldown.)

Only games have the potential to exceed 60hz and that's not very common at 4k yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Black bar content will not cause any noticable differential aging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

I think the poster is worried that the center 4:3 area will be dimmer since those oleds were working while the pillarboxed sides were 'off'

Right, that's what I addressed. It's not a problem.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 1, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And this is based on testing. Here's what rtings found in the B6 which has next to no aging mitigation.

quote:

Black letterbox bars have been displayed for almost 5,000 hours (equivalent to 208 days of continuous letterboxing). Some letterboxing is starting to become noticeable on full-screen slides, but not in normal content. As a result, we don't expect letterbox bars to cause any issues for people.

So you could watch DS9 through 37 times before you might see something on slides.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 1, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TLC logo is opaque red which is death for OLED, even the new ones (just on a longer scale.)

On the 6 series, opaque red starts showing signs of burn in at 300 hours. There's no mitigation you can do to prevent it or lessen it other than not displaying the content.

So, 2 hours a week would have burn in over 3 years.

It's been years since I've even had TLC on and I'm frankly shocked they still have an opaque colored network logo. How trashy.

I've used the focus feature with the magic remote to blot out logos before. It zooms in at various levels and with several different shapes and if you position it right, it covers an offending logo. I do it on Smithsonian channel with their obnoxious yellow and white logo.

I'm going to guess though that's taking things to the point that you would rather not go.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It does, but it will still eventually burn in.

They increased the size of the red pixel to keep from having to drive it as hard to overcome the red filter at some point (I think the 8 series) and the newer models have some logo dimming and will also track pixel usage and use some built in headroom to drive an aging pixel harder to overcome dimness from the burn in.

So, all of that greatly delays the onset of visible burn in.

The inescapable reality though is that static color blocks will eventually cause differential aging. The timeline from that is pushed out a lot further with the new models, but it's inevitable that it will happen with static content eventually.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That guy's channel is super annoying as his "analysis" really isn't taking everything into account and has spawned legions of people complaining about "fake" HDR when that's not even a quantifiable term.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

What is he not taking into account? I mostly watch the HDR analysis from the channel for videogames but that stuff seems like solid as advice and is pretty highly regarded from what I've seen.

His focus is all all about peak brightness and if it doesn't reach an arbitrary level, it's labeled fake HDR. But it's not that simple.

rec709 says peak white is 100 CD/m2 though SDR screens can get as bright as 400 CD/m2.

So, this guy is looking at scenes in the Mandalorian and seeing peak values in some scenes as 200 CD/m2. Hark, he says, that's well within the range of SDR displays. Fake HDR! Fake HDR!

Yeah, but it's not valid to master something in rec709 to display at 200 CD/m2 on a calibrated display. Also, keep in mind that's peak WHITE, when you start looking at specific colors the peak gets even lower for SDR.

Ok, but surely that's just a semantic difference right? If an SDR display is perfectly capably of showing 200CD/m2, can't we get the same HDR image buy using an SDR mastered one and cranking up the brightness of the SDR display (and let's face it, everyone has their brightness higher than mastered levels anyways)? See, fake HDR.

Well...no. That's ignoring the R part of HDR. Range. See, if something is mastered with 100CD/m2 being peak white, everything under that peak has to fit in, well, under that peak. But if the thing was mastered with 200CD/m2 being peak white, then there's a whole lot more headroom under that peak for subtle variation. Detail in the shadows that may have been crushed in with black to allow enough range under the peak to distinguish other detail can actually be shown because there's more available range to show it.

This is simplistic to the point of not being all that accurate, but the following is a good illustrative point. Say SDR has a range of 1-100. Anything less than 1 blends in with black and anything you want to see without being clipped has to be a value in that range. Then you have Mad Max Fury Road that has a range of 1-10000! You have 10x the range to work with, amazing (even though 90% of that range can't be displayed on consumer TVs.)

Then you have the Mandalorian. 1-200. The peak is within the technical capabilities of SDR displays (though not when mastered and displayed correctly) but there's double the range of the SDR master. So, you have a scene where you hit your peak nits with, say, a blaster bolt. You have double the variations in brightness to display other scene detail in the HDR version vs the SDR version.

So, yeah, that's why it's a flawed analysis. It is perfectly valid to say that the Mandalorian isn't taxing the capabilities of Dolby Vision or some higher end displays and wish for it to have more pop. It's really not valid to cherry pick frames and use their peak values and say "An SDR display is capable of this level of brightness, so there's not point in it being HDR so it must be fake." Peak brightness isn't the final word in whether or not something is HDR.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 15, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks completely fine on my C6 from a Shield TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RichterIX posted:

Are you able to actually get Dolby Vision from the Shield?

Yeah, I watch tons of stuff with DV with the ShieldTV. It works great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It likely has both modes. 60hz for North America, 50hz for Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, even most 60hz displays now will "downclock" to 48hz or 24hz to display 24fps material at the proper cadence. I know my north american LG C6 handles 24fps and 50fps material natively without issue as well.