Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

BonoMan posted:

55" would be fine on a stand. I'm on my second toddler and have no worries. You should be tying them into the wall anyway (just a strong string tied into a screw in the wall should be fine).

If you can go 55" I'd go with the TCL 6 Series (2019 R625). You can get it in that range.

If you need to cap it at 50" then I'd say the TCL 5 series (2019 S525) as I mentioned above. I use it for movies and games and it's fine but the 6 series *is* better.

i had the 50" and 55" tcl s525 televisions for a week, and the 55" includes stuff the 50" doesn't. it's a 20 bux difference between the two, and i'd say the 55" looks far better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

BonoMan posted:

Right but what I'm saying is that if you're going to go 55" then step it up to the R625.

edit: Also RTings says there is no variant between the 50 and 55 s525s. So what's the difference?

My bad, it's a $30 difference in cost between the 50" and 55" 5 series. the r625 is what, like $600? is it worth paying nearly double in price?

rtings has some issues in not checking the software differences between different sized units of the same model numbers. the smaller sized variants typically don't include some of the software settings available at the 55" and above models.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
We save the quieter shows like British Bake Off to watch in bed. Anything calming. I'll throw on Joe Pera shows after my partner falls asleep.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

qirex posted:

My favorite GBBO trivia is they have to call it "The Great British Baking Show" in the US because Pilsbury has a trademark on "Bake-Off."

my brain has never registered this. gonna incite fervor at next sunday's brunch with this trivia

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

I had two of that model for a month and on both units the interface was really slow, and prone to crashing.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I like the TCL 6 series a lot but also many of my concerns come down to price instead of picture quality. Others, along with rtings reviews, should let you know if it is suitable comparatively.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I don't have that issue with the samsung q60r soundbar connected via arc. maybe disconnect and reconnect? then turn everything on in sequence.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

morestuff posted:

Anyone with a TCL/Roku TV have all their homescreen icons shrink when the new year hit? Makes for easier navigating but it also doesn't seemed correctly sized for the screen

I have software version 9.2.2 build 6106 and don't see this.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Nocheez posted:

I heard an NPR story about a guy who writes thousands of songs every year and makes a modest living selling them online for a buck apiece. They had really funny song and album titles.

My wife got a free Google nest mini so the first thing I tried was "ok Google, play the album You Thought We Ran Out of Poop Song Ideas, You Were Wrong" and it actually worked. I was impressed, and disgusted.

is that matt farley? he also makes fun extremely low-budget, comedy/horror movies.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean that’s a lot more reasonable than this guy trying to sell a TWO THOUSAND AND FOUR 37” Panasonic plasma that’s 480p for the same price.

I honestly can’t believe it’s a plasma given the size of the screen, and they bothered putting an hdmi port on it. I’m sure it was great at the time!

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ele/d/deerfield-beach-panasomic-plazma-tv-32/7056855827.html

This guy I’m just lost for words. Yeah gamers are falling over themselves to buy your 20” RCA tube TV from 1991.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ele/d/fort-lauderdale-vintage-rca-20-crt-tv/7050843012.html

Brain worms.

I heard there are gamers who do this for reasons. Anyone know more about it?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

GreenNight posted:

Bosch looks loving amazing.

I switched to the good looking version and it really is. the funny thing is that the show is so tepid that it's not essential. 4k uhd of bosch in slow motion nudging a guy through a glass window is hilariously like watching any steven seagal movie.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Yes.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

FuzzySlippers posted:

I didn't know that was a thing. Is it stable that way?

i have two large, 18lb cats who enjoy walking around televisions. several tcls with the legs angled inward, and didn't have any troubles. ymmv!

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
TCL has been the only responsive ui I can handle that doesn't have massive lag. I don't understand why this is the case among the far more expensive units. Even if they are much 'smarter', capable of doing more in the background.

Rtings viewing angle and reflection tests seem flawed to me. And are indicative of trying to provide a clearer difference between brands for their reviews, rather than how you watch televisions in real world conditions.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Snagged a 65" LG G1 yesterday at Best Buy for $1,200.00. Delivery is later in the week, but I'm excited.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I'll get back to you after delivery, installation and a week of viewing on the open-box 65" LG G1 I bought. The lack of feet isn't a hindrance for my usage, and it was $400 cheaper than the 65" LG C1.

I was also told by the manager of the store that according to his records that he showed me, it was bought and returned within a day by someone who wanted a larger television.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
My open-box LG G1 is hung and working. TV settings page shows that it had been used for about two months.

It didn't come with the lg magic remote. The best buy technicians left me with two different LG remotes. One works completely, but lacks a Home button. lol

I ended up having to into my century link router and change the dns from theirs to google. After that, all of the LG app pages and updates worked correctly.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Some people consider the suggested viewing ribbons on the webos home screen to be a form of advert too.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Yeah. I've had the G1 a few days now. Is webos supposed to be slow at all?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Inzombiac posted:

It seems fine to me during setup but after the first day I went back to my Chromecast and it's been all peachy.

Fremry posted:

Yeah, it's real slow for me on my C1. I suggest setting up the quick buttons which makes it so you don't have to go to the Home Screen which is the slowest part of the OS. So like, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime have buttons at the bottom, but you can set up the 1-8 buttons to act the same way for HDMI ports and other apps, when you long hold them. So for me, long pressing 1 brings up HDMI 1 which is my Cable box, 2 is Hulu, 3 is HBO Max, etc. all the way down to 7 which is HDMI 2 (Nintendo Switch) and 8 which is HDMI 3 (Xbox).

If you remember, WebOS was originally owned by HP and they used it on their original tablet (HP TouchPad) and it was bad even back then. HP filed for bankruptcy and as a part of that, they tried to sell their tablet division, but the only part of it that sold was the operating system, WebOS, to LG for use on their TVs. So you really shouldn't expect much from it.

For sure, I set up things similarly even before noticing just how ratchet the ui is. lmao that's where webos originated.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I blocked a bunch of the LG sites through my router, and now webos functions a lot faster. Much cleaner interface on the home screen too.

cdpbeacon.lgtvcommon.com
cdpsvc.lgtvcommon.com
homeprv.lgtvcommon.com
nudge.lgtvcommon.com
rdl.lgtvcommon.com
recommend.lgtvcommon.com
lgsmartad.com
service.lgtvcommon.com

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mister Facetious posted:

Added this post to the OP under smart features.

a google search provides a lot more of the ad servers than I listed.

Also, a note that service.lgtvcommon.com is necessary for access to LG Channels.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I quit using my dog poo poo cheap soundbar because the g1 speakers sound so good.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

bull3964 posted:

We don't need any sort of new standard. If there was a market for such a thing, it would simply be a USB-C connection that provided both power and display connection.

Really though all we need at this point is 18w USB-C connections on TVs and just connect the dongle to HDMI

will you settle for every company doing what they want with hdmi, and most refusing to tell you what they're doing?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I really dislike the lg g1 remote. A wand / mouse pointer interface is really slow.

If you can, grab the lg akb74475433 remote. It works completely, and has really good dedicated buttons in a good interface.

Only caveat is no Home button. This doesn't impact my use cases at all. If I needed that single feature, I can just ask the TV aloud to go home.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is the HBO max app on LG C1 poo poo for anyone else? Gives me far lower quality than Roku ultra or newest Chromecast on same tv using their HBO max apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Do people trust the r-tings calibration settings pages on televisions? I've used them before on different tvs, and thought they seemed entirely arbitrary in setup.