Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I hate to be that guy, but I'm looking for a new TV to replace my budget Sharp I've had for the last few years for my PS4/PS3/360. I wanted to ask since originally I thought it was just "LED and done" but it seemed more complicated to me than that and well it probably never hurts more than my pride to ask.

27" Would be the perfect size, so it can sit right next to my 27" computer monitor, but anything reasonable to sit on a computer desk would be fine, though I guess I have a hard time picturing any montior that isn't right in front of me.

So 27"-30ish", I don't need any extra special features like built in netflix or voice commands. I don't think I'll ever be needing over 60hz for console games and I'm not going to be using 3d. All I need it to do is take HDMI from my PS4 and look really good and possibly have a headphone jack to make it easy to plug in external speakers or headphones. very preferably have as little of a border as possible around the screen so it's not bumping into other things on my desk. My hard limit for price is $600 but I'm hoping to stay under $500 if all possible and will probably wait until black friday / cyber monday to purchase if there can be a better price on the TV.

Looking at the Input lag site from the OP the first TV, a ASUS MX279H LED doesn't actually look all that bad except for the slightly gaudy bar on the bottom.

The other monitor that caught my eye on the list was LG EA63 27EA63V. Same size, no gaudy bar on the bottom (it has it but it isn't silver) and still in my price range.

Everything else on the input lag list either stays under 27", above 40" or above 11ms. (19ms and above, I'm not sure what the actual limit here is) I'm used to gaming with 2ms input lag.

For reference I've been using a computer gaming monitor as my PS3 monitor and was planning on using it with my PS4 until the backlight bleed and the viewing angle really started to bother me. (like, slightly below the TV and I can't see the image correctly)

Thank you in advance just for reading this, moreso if you can help me out.

Ninja Edit: I'm from the US if that helps. That TV from futureshop looks really good too, probably way too big for me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mister Macys posted:

If you're just going to use the display for playing games, and not television or Smart features, you're better off with a computer monitor, where you won't pay for extraneous features.
And they have HDMI inputs now. I used an ASUS VH236H for two years, and it kicks loving rear end. It has light bleed, but it's only noticeable in full darkness.

The monitor thread is here. Just skip to the second post where the gaming stuff is.

I use a ASUS VG278H for my computer gaming. Light bleed is only noticeable in games like Last of Us and other really dark games, even with full RGB on or off. My only problem with it is the viewing angle seems to really hate me on anything that isn't on my PC. My chair height is off slightly just enough to make the top half of the monitor start to get affected by the viewing angle. Which is why I thought a TV would be good if it had a higher viewing angel so I can use a slightly shorter recliner that leans back for console games.

Either that or spend money on a wall mount. :getin:

Either way I'll be waiting until Cyber monday to actually buy something so I'll get a chance to use the PS4 with the VG278H.

Thank you for your help though. I was torn between here and that thread.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mister Macys posted:

Get the plasma. Set it to auto-dim and auto-shut off after a few hours of inactivity and you're good. The quality of the 60 line is incredible.

I don't know why I didn't think of auto-shutoff when I was gravely afraid of burn in. I should find a Plasma TV as an alternative for the best PS4 experience since I already have a gaming LCD computer monitor to try first. Probably going to go from 27" to 35"-40".

I don't get why the newer TVs kind of force these new itnernet features on you. Can I at least turn them off? My internet connection is very fickle with enough devices in my home connected wired or wireless already and I don't really need another unless I need some sort of firmware update.

Edit: How useful is CNET's 2012 TV Buying guide as a cheat sheet when looking for TVs?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Don Lapre posted:

Smart features don't cost anything and yes you can simply not connect it to your network.

Okay cool, thank you. I'm trying to take into account all the things I have available to me if I got a new TV, especially with Smart features. Already pay for DirecTV HD receivers and HBO, just no receiver in my room. So I could hook a receiver up and also have a lazy bed way to watch HBOGO.

I also wanted to say that I noticed how often Mister Macys posts, obviously being the OP and all. Thanks for helping people out, man.

Edit: Damnit I think I'm going with the 42"+ minimum then! I'm still within the under $600 budget though. Being a goony goon I rarely have problems with glare in my room. (Sun shines hard into my room without my blinds and curtains closed, makes the room even hotter)

How does temperature affect TVs like Plasmas? Sometimes it's 82F in my room, living in Florida and all and it's horrible and my AC won't help me.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 26, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah, I don't know what it is about television tech, but I love reading up on it, watching them, and all that.
I just want people to get the most out of their money when making a purchase.
Like a car guy I guess, only I can't shut up about it.

To answer your question though, if your looking at 82°F even with AC, I'd have to recommend against a plasma.
They can raise the room temp by another 1-5°, maybe more; depending on the size of the living room.
I didn't dare turn mine on this year without my AC(s) running.

Yeah the 82f is the height of summer. Mainly because my room is at the end of the AC chain so I would have to turn the entire house down to 75 for me to go down to 78. It's doable. Also a big contributor to the temperature is my gaming computer, which I was trying to soft-replace with a PS4.(Xbox one later down the line maybe)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really don't notice input lag unless it's like super ridiculous "No one buy this!" reviews type of input latency. At least with playing console games it's harder to notice, but maybe it's because my reaction time sucks on consoles.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Sorry that I'm back with questions. I'm still looking for a TV to replace my Sharp 26" LCD. Me and my father were looking at TVs and he recommended Samsun UN32F5000 32inch LED. I saw what was supposed to be a 32" at Sears, because I needed to see it in person and it felt really small, like it was barely a step up from 26". But I'm not quite sure since I can't find a comparison photo online on how it would look in an actual set up. Instead all I get are just the pictures of the TV in purgatory.

Right now the goal is less than $400, preferably less than $300 since we found this 32" at $260. Has to be:

1080p,
16:9 (I'm dumb so it's probably the same thing),
60HZ and around 35".

My focus is one good image quality over all else. I tend to always run Dynamic or whatever has the brighter screen settings.

Am I crazy with what I want? I physically don't or just barely have room for a 40" and I'm really constrained on money. But ugh this 26" is bothering me to the point where I don't touch it. Which is funny because right now I just game off of a PC gaming 27" monitor. To that monitors credit it has great color accuracy and a really nice picture overall.

One of the other TVs I found was a Toshiba 39" but every time I bring it up to someone they tell me how awful that brand is.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BN3W19Q/?tag=dislag-20

Man, if only I could have unlimited money to get a really amazing Tv. :(

Ularg fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 12, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mitsune posted:

That's the same tv recommended via The Wire Cutter: The Best Small TV.

It frequently goes on sale and the colors are pretty amazing for its size (bright, vivid). I used to watched Netflix and used my PS3 exclusively on this set next to my Dell Ultrasharp monitor. You really can't go wrong with this tv for ~$300.

Nice, thank you very much. It seemed incredibly small in the store but I think that may have been either a wrong model set up for display or just looked smaller next to all the other huge TVs. Because measuring it out where I'll place it it seems fine and a nice upgrade.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

hotsauce posted:

55" VT60. Wife wondering why the hell I'm taking pictures, but here you go.

http://imgur.com/a/LSXtq

It's more reflective than our previous 50" Kuro, but not overly. You can see the reflections from the kitchen. Overall, we are really happy with this TV.

Wanted a 60" but the drat cutout made that decision for us. The 55" barely fits the opening.

That's a beautiful room. Had to let you know.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I was very lucky and got a 32" Samsung 5300. I'm wondering if anyone else has this TV and are there any recommendations for Brightness/Contrast and color settings for playing Video Games and watching HD Satellite TV. But mainly video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Okay, I wanted to do a trip-report on a TV that I asked about and got some cool feedback from you guys. I've had Samsung's UN32EH5300 LED Smart TV since Christmas.

I currently have a PS4, PS3, Xbox 360 and a HD DirecTV receiver hooked up too it. Though the TV only sports 3 HDMI slots and one set of composite so I got a cheap HDMI switch off Monoprice for the Receiver and 360. (Built my own xbox one, ha!)

I have to say though that 3 HDMI slots are a sweet spot for most needs. I really expected I would be using a SD Receiver that could use composite slots but I was surprised with a free upgrade from DirecTV.

The menues and their navigation are incredibly easy and by far the most pleasent time I had tweaking a TV/Monitor. Only Advanced Settings greys out with some picture modes that I don't entirely understand why.

The picture quality is pretty wonderful, it makes sure any HD resolution fits its 1080p display and there's hardly anything to complain about. Games rendered and output at 1080p look stunning and 720p games vary. Vanquish in 720p looked a little washed out with all its whites but Halo 4/Halo Reach still looked really great.

In certain instances, like on the PS3/PS4 home screen and a few HD movies I watched I could notice a tiny bit of noise on the screen. Turning on a few of the TVs post processing features to the absolute minimum got rid of it, but going any higher starts introducing that weird motionblur effect.

The colors seem accurate but it doesn't really have the ability to crank the saturation up. (I'm really weird and like slightly oversaturated pictures)

Currently using these settings and wouldn't mind some feedback on how wrong I'm watching stuff:

Picture Mode - Dynamic
Blacklight - 18/20
Contrast - 85/100
Brightness - 50/100
Sharpness 60 or 80/100 (I don't really notice any sharpening, improving or degrading of a picture outside of Halo Reach, which was really weird.)
Color - 70/100

Color Tone - Standard
Digital Noise Filter - Low
MPEG Noise Filter - Low
HDMI Black Level - Low
LED Motion Plus - Off

I'm a little torn on Black level (options are Low or Normal). It dims the picture slightly but increases the amount of viewable black and white levels. I'm probably in the minority that I enjoy playing in a dark room with a bright picture.

But overall I am really happy with this TV. If you want to spend a little more and wait for a sale you can probably do better but the size and price were perfect and I can't really find any glaring issues that stare me in the face everytime I use it.

Also surprisingly is that it's a little fatter than most displays. A benefit of this is that the speakers are surprisingly decent. Nowhere near the level of having your own sound setup, but acceptable enough for TV and film.