Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I need some help here in a TV decision.

Should I get http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P60ST60-60-Inch-Plasma-Glasses/dp/B00AVRJK4Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1382710777&sr=1-1 for awesome true blacks, and a possibly burned in screen (my wife is horrible about falling asleep at the end of a movie and leaving it on the netflix menu)

Or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHKPYPW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Blacks probably not as good, hell picture probably not as good but my god will it be light as hell!

I'm leaning towards the plasma, but I need to know if burn is still a major problem, or if it is easily dealt with these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

Get the plasma. Set it to auto-dim and auto-shut off after a few hours of inactivity and you're good. The quality of the 60 line is incredible.

What counts as inactivity. Does sitting on the netflix menu that is static count as inactivity (if fed through an xbox or wii-u, heck even if it's the tv built in one)?

And what is a proper break in?

Oh I just noticed the plasma is active 3d. Is that going to be a problem going forward on replacing glasses?

Back to burn in question. I noticed a review on amazon that that said games with static huds were still kind of a no go on plasma. Is this person mis informed or did he just not do proper tv prep before sitting down to 15 hours of CoD?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 25, 2013

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

emoltra posted:

Re: 3D glasses, AFAIK vendors have standardized their glasses and prices have come down to like $60 / pair.

As far as HUDs on games go I don't think it's a problem, otherwise my TV would be sporting a permanent GTA HUD. There's some settings in the TV's control panel that make me think they've got some countermeasures enabled by default to keep that from being a problem.

Thanks a ton. One last question for anyone who owns that particular plasma. Is the input lag super noticeable, or just a minor annoyance? I don't game as much as I used too, but I still plan on gaming on the TV. I can deal with minor annoying input lag. But not game breaking input lag.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I went to best buy Friday to do some in person comparison. Both the vizio and the 55 version of the pany st series were there and on the "best buy promo loop" video. Unfortunately that video kind of sucks. So I have an odd question that might be hard to explain.

Looking over at the theater room where the 6k tv's are, or even at some of the "adjusted" 2k samsungs that were on an actual movie, I noticed that the movies have a kind of surreal eye popping almost 3d but not 3d look. As if the video was so clear that you can conceptualize real depth in the picture. Are the Vizio and pany's images that crisp?

I mean, breaking bad looked as if I could reach out and touch everything as if I was standing right next to Walter. I asked the bb dude if they could change the feed on the two TV's I came to see, and he said he can only put them over to the cable channels.

Also with the bb loop vid, I could discern no difference in image quality between the two panels other than the pany being way dimmer than the vizio.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I figured it would be hard to explain.

This is not a Dynamic color setting. Here is an example they had two identical samsungs side by side playing the same blue ray content synced ( a multi vid blue ray I believe) One TV is "calibrated" by geek squad, and the other is out of the box settings. Now as far as colors and what not go the pictures were totally different on the exact same scenes. What was uniform between the two tv's was that everything still looked "hyper real", it felt like I was looking at a 3d movie without 3d glasses just due to how clear the image is.

But not a single other tv on the "wall" had an image that crisp/clear. But I think it is due to the feed they are receiving being the generic best buy video ad loop. So I want to know if the Pany Plasma (ST60 and S60) or the Vizio M60) can even come close to that quality. I don't have a BR player I can just take in and ask them to hook up, otherwise I would. I'm planning on getting a player with my TV purchase.

As a note, I don't care about the geek squad calibration, I just threw that in to note that it probably was not a color/dynamic contrast thing.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Don Tacorleone posted:

That, or maybe they were 4K displays? Those look ridiculously real, almost like you're looking through a windows.

This, right here.

Soooo maybe I need to save a bit more money than the 1400 I got ready to go...

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Not sure if I should be asking this somewhere else,but here we go.

Does anyone know if there is a trustworthy US site that does prescription 3d glasses similar to http://www.optics3d.co.uk/?/tracking=51b8d679c2294 My google skills are failing me and mostly leading me to clip on's or more tv's.

I'd really love it if I could send in my old frames and get them to my current prescription but in RealD polarization. I tried clipons but the posts are too distracting. And I get a massive headache when I add more weight to the bridge of my nose. So wearing two pairs (cocoons or otherwise) is out.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Oddly enough I don't see it anywhere. Are my Shield settings different than yours? It's the 2nd latest version (2017 I believe?)

Is any of that what you mean?

This didn't work unfortunately (0 stations detected) but you reminded me that I had one of those coaxial FM antenna wires dangling out of the back of my receiver so I plugged that into the TV and sure enough it picked up three stations.

A nice bonus is I can now unplug it and now all the TV does is whine about not finding a signal so it solved my issue and I don't even need to keep it plugged in! So now I can do it to my other kid's TV, then plug it back into my receiver where it belongs.

You just saved me like thirty bucks and no longer the need to have something plugged into the back of the TV at all times! 🍻

If it makes you feel better, I just checked this on my LG OLED65C8PUA, and I notice the stutter as well! I figured it was just because it was a 24p Blu-ray (Adventures in Babysitting lol) but yeah the stutter is there plain as day on my LG OLED. So no need to blame your Vizio.

The rest of the TVs in my house are plasmas and I just checked and they have zero stutter in the same movie/scene. You brought something to my attention I wasn't even aware of.

The funny thing is none of my plasmas are new enough to have 120hz or any of that soap opera filtering, so I wonder why I don't see it on them?

The only complaint I have about my LG OLED is it seems a bit darker than my plasmas. I have power saving off and all that stuff, so maybe this is what's causing it. Thank you for the info!

I found turning on "Real Cinema" mode on my LG CX gets rid of judder/stutter without adding SOE. If that is an option for your model you might try it.