Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Looking to get a TV, and vizio.com has their m-series 43" for $499 with free shipping (this better include Alaska :argh:), BUT if I sign up for their email newsletter I get 5% off my purchase, bringing it to $475.

Is this a good deal / TV? I'll be using it to play movie/television/games from my PC and games/DVD from consoles. Looking to keep budget under $500.

Also, why would I even want or need "4k" on a 43" screen? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Endless Mike posted:

Whichever size Vizio E-series is in your budget would be the best bet. Looks like the E43-C2 inch is $350 from Amazon or the E48-C2 is $400 at Best Buy (not available on Amazon). You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere as it'll probably be going on clearance shortly.

You won't find a good TV without smart TV features, so move past that. You don't have to use them if you don't want.

How's the E-Series with regards to streaming movies and tv shows from PC? I'm looking to get a new TV that will be hooked to my computer, and while I'll no doubt be gaming on it (simply out of convenience), it will mostly be intended for watching HD movies and shows from my computer (via Kodi, etc.) over HDMI.

Great-looking video over HDMI from my PC is the most important goal in my search for a new television. Gaming is secondary.

I'd love some recommendations. I'm hoping to spend somewhere around $500-$600 to meet the above usage. :ohdear:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 24, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

wolrah posted:

my main purpose, a large monitor that also worked as a TV.

This is what I'm looking for right now, and I'd love to hear suggestions:
  • It's going to be hooked up (via a 25-foot hdmi cable) to the computer that runs Kodi and that I play games from.
  • Typically we are watching tv shows and movies. Action, horror, drama, etc. Sports really only during the Olympics?
  • Being able to play my computer games from the couch would be nice. Would span from high-graphic games like The Division to text-heavy like Crusader Kings and Dwarf Fortress and everything in between. Is burn-in still a thing I would need to worry about? :ohdear:
  • We don't need anything with speakers, good or bad, because we've already got a sound setup that we're happy with that we would use instead.
  • We have a Costco membership, and can drive to a Best Buy, Fred Meyers, or Wal-Mart. Shipping can will most likely be a huge pain because we live in Alaska.

Size-wise, we're looking about 36~48 inches I would say.

Anyone else have any thoughts?