Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So the Sanyo I bought in 2011 is still going strong, but 4K LOTR is finally making me want to update. My in-laws want to buy us a TV, which means I need to pick a model and tell them because they have even less of a clue than I do.

We're not extremely picky... Given the size of the living room, 55-65 inches would be about right. Everything we watch is streamed via a Chromecast right now: Netflix, Hulu, Plex, Amazon. I've got an old xbox 360 and a SNES Classic, but the TV is 99% used for television and movies. I've also got a Laserdisc player that I like to hook up sometimes, so it'd be kinda nice to have s-video or composite input but I don't know if that's even a thing these days.

My wife has an iPhone and I use Android. I'm not sure how that affects the choice of smart TV software, if at all, since I've been using the same dumb TV for a decade.

Although the in-laws would buy pretty much whatever, we've decided we don't want to go over $600. Recommendations in that range? I see plenty of TVs under $600 on Best Buy's site, for instance, but I've got no idea what's any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

The Hisense H8G 55" is $529 (if you're lucky it'll be in stock locally), and the TCL 535 55" and 65" are $580 and $650, respectively. The latter two are actually in stock online. They're your best bet for cost-to-performance.
Neither will have S-Video, but they'll have composite.

Is this the TCL 535 55" you're talking about? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-5-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6422766.p?skuId=6422766

At least for the store local to my in-laws, it's showing as $480, which seems pretty drat good.

Do you recommend Roku, or Android? As someone who has worked on the Android OS in the past, and who owns an Android phone, and who keeps an eye on computing news... well, I don't really relish the idea of running Android on my TV, but if it's the better of the two options, that's fine.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is this the TCL 535 55" you're talking about? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-5-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6422766.p?skuId=6422766

At least for the store local to my in-laws, it's showing as $480, which seems pretty drat good.

Do you recommend Roku, or Android? As someone who has worked on the Android OS in the past, and who owns an Android phone, and who keeps an eye on computing news... well, I don't really relish the idea of running Android on my TV, but if it's the better of the two options, that's fine.

They went with the 535 65" and god drat it's nice. I'm liking Roku so far, although I may spend some time playing with my packet captures and DNS logs to see just how much this thing is spying on me :v:

Really makes the poo poo quality on some Amazon Prime shows stand out, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just got my TCL 6 from Amazon and holy poo poo this Roku remote has volume buttons on the side. In the first 20 mins of setting it up, I can't even count how many times I've muted or changed the volume. What a truly awful remote design.
:sad:

TV seems fine other than that though! Power cable is a bit short though.

Yeah the volume buttons suck poo poo, and the remote as a whole is pretty cheap. I guess I prefer corners cut on the remote instead of elsewhere, but I'm already wondering about third-party remotes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

qirex posted:

I got the Sofabaton, it's firmly OK. My main complaint is clicky buttons.

Look what those motherfuckers did on their Roku version: