Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Can someone recommend a good TV for use in a RV? I just ordered a HDMI cable so I can connect my Galaxy S3 phone to a television, and I'm looking for a TV to connect it to.

I was looking at the Coby 15 inch, but the bad reviews are scaring me. The other option I'm looking at is the Viewsonic 16". The only thing I would be using it for is to watch videos on youtube. Which other options do I have? I don't think I want anything bigger than 17~18 inch at the most and I don't want to spend more than $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Listerine posted:

I do. I wasn't sure how much, so I asked earlier in the thread and one person suggested $10, but this is Los Angeles with a high cost of living, and it became apparent when the truck showed up that Ceva itself also contracts out their deliveries for who knows what garbage compensation, so I gave the two folks $20 each. Despite Ceva's bullshit they put in a solid effort, and it was pretty hot the other day so I gave them each a bottled water which was well appreciated.
Is this for a regular delivery or delivery and set up, where they mount it on the wall and set it all up for you? Might be a regional thing, but here in Texas, we don't usually tip Amazon/Fedex/UPS delivery guys save for Christmas season where we leave out snacks or a card with a gift card if you have the same person every time. I did give the appliance delivery guys some water bottles since it was on a super hot day.

My TV from the Costco deal is set to arrive on Saturday. But the TV console won't arrive until Tuesday. Wife wants to let it sit in the box until the console gets here. Fat chance.

I just need to head over to the audio thread and figure out what kind of sound system I want. I have vaulted ceilings, so I don't want to mess with ceiling speakers, but I'm assuming even a basic entry level sound bar and sub will be light years ahead of the TV speakers.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I just got done setting up the Sony 65" 900H, and I have it sitting on a console. I realized I should secure it from tipping over just in case.

For those of you who have the tv sitting on a console, what are you using to keep it from falling over?

Is mounting going to be the best way? I was looking at those baby proofing straps. Are any of them worth it at all?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Tell me about the Google assistant feature on my Sony X900H. Is the TV always listening to what I say? Or does it only activate itself when I press the button?

I love being able to turn off the TV from all the way across the room, but half the time it just tells me the device is not available. Same when I try to turn it on. Chances are I just don't have it set up properly though.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I have my TV connected to a soundbar via optical.
Is there a way to make it so that I can control the volume via the TV remote instead of having to use the sound bar remote? Would I be able to do that if I used the HDMI cable? I do have a hdmi arc or whatever it's called, but I'd hate to shuffle around back down for no reason.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I know OLEDs have the better picture quality, but as someone who likes to have the news channels in the background, the burn in issue is a deal breaker.

I may revisit in a few years once they've fixed that issue. If it is fixable to begin with. The TV guy at Best Buy told me OLEDs will always have issues with burn ins due to how the technology works, but that for most people it's worth the tradeoff for better quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Black doesn't really burn in on OLEDs. There can be differential aging, but it's only now just STARTING to show up very very very faintly in slides after 122 weeks on the rtings torture tests.

As for news networks, I will never understand the wanting of people to transform their living space into the gate area of your local airport.
Couldn't the TV companies eventually come out with software to address this issue from the front end? I know a lot of games have options for removing burn ins, why couldn't the TV do the same?