Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I was pointed to this thread since I somehow missed it, but how much if at all, would I notice going from a 42" to a newer/nice 40"? I'm guessing not much, but I like to get goon opinions before I pull the trigger on tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Looking at picking up a Vizio after seeing some in person, but I read a couple reviews that mention that some use IPS or VA in the same model/size, specifically the 43" I was looking at.

I love my 1440p IPS monitor, but the reviews made it sound like you would want to avoid IPS in a TV. How real is this? Or should I resign myself to digging through the boxes and looking at serial numbers...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Fruit Chewy posted:

I just got that exact 43" today at Target. I've been avoiding looking up the serial number because I feel like I'm honestly better off living in ignorance on that front but I can honestly say this thing is gorgeous and the blacks are incredible, especially for something in this price range.

Well that's a load off my shoulders :) that's kinda how I felt about my Korean IPS monitor too

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

bull3964 posted:

Holy poo poo. I stopped by a Magnolia Best Buy location today to pick up some new speakers and they had a 65" 4k LG OLED TV. First time I saw one in person.

It took a great deal of willpower to not ignore the $6k price tag and make some very bad life choices. I can't wait until these drop to a more palatable price.

Yeah I saw one yesterday and yowza:eyepop:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Get an OLED panel with the blacks provided via the gateway from Event Horizon. Where we're going we don't need LEDs to see

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I ended up getting the Vizio 43" and I'm almost positive I got the IPS one, but I don't care enough to verify- this TV is leaps and bounds better then the one I had before :). Does anyone have some suggestions for calibration settings? I can mess around on my own, but I'd like to have a starting point.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

These settings are great btw, thanks!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DholmbladRU posted:

Is there a specific visio model? I've heard one of their series line is junk

The e series pretty much seems to be all good, or at least all reviews (and my personal experience) have been very good

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
That's a shame.. I always thought sharp put out a decent product.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

sellouts posted:

As long as the TV has optical out and any devices you have connected to it are set to the proper format, you won't have a problem.

Vizio has a 29" and 38" soundbar under $100 on Amazon. Someone in the thread got one and liked it.

I got one of the cheap 29" Vizio sounds bars along with my Vizio TV (yay for cross promotion) and it's pretty drat solid for what it is. Yes I've had full surround sound before, but my current apartment sucks and is too small, so the soundbar is fine AND girlfriend approved.

Edit: also the Vizio sound bars have a TON of connection options, so you don't even need optical (it's preferable, but if it's an older/cheaper model you may not have that option)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Botnit posted:

I'm under no risk of actually losing my money unlike getting 3 lemons from a Bob's Electronics.

But more importantly, are you really this thin skinned little bitch you come across as in your post history of this thread?

Yes?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Don Lapre posted:

Dont even need that. There are free ones you can download and burn to dvd and play on most bluray players.

Was just thinking about this. What's the "go to" disc now? I haven't calibrated using my own settings in a very long time

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Cool thanks!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My parent's old 50" rear projection TV has a bad convergence board. So I decided to get them a new set. I hope the new Visio 4k M series is a decent set as I already have it shipping to them. I was going to get them a 1080p panel but it looks like Visio is dumping those panels.

I doubt vizio is dumping 1080p? I would assume they sell orders of magnitude more 1080p then 4k

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What i mean is they aren't in their main lineup anymore for 50" and up.

Lol ok THAT makes more sense :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
So all my poo poo got destroyed in a flood, including the 43" vizio I got like.. a month ago lol. Probably going to buy the vizio again, but in an effort to save money, I will likely be using the TV for pc gaming as well (or at least until I can afford another good monitor). Does anyone have any insight into pc gaming on vizio tv's? :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Aineris posted:

Have a look at this: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

That's pretty much the go-to resource for the best PC TV's. You're primarily looking for low input lag and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling.

Awesome thanks! Looks like the e series shouldn't be too bad then... :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Squashy Nipples posted:

Right, but aren't we approaching the point where 4k is all that is available?

As a sample data point, on the CostCo site for TVs 51 inches and up, they list seven 780 sets, and nineteen 4k sets.

It may be available, but the content is the issue. The bandwidth isn't there for streaming yet (and won't be for a long drat time, in the U.S. at least) and the equipment is hardly there either.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
There is also a "D"

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

veedubfreak posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on refurb tvs? Personally I just don't feel safe spending 1500 bucks on a tv that isn't going to come with a full warranty.

I am being completely honest here, and I don't know what you do for a living, but I've seen your posts. Don't you have enough money to not worry about a refurbished tv? :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

veedubfreak posted:

In which way? Getting burned by a tv that shits itself on day 91? Or by skipping the refurbed. I'm of the mind that a 1500 dollar refurb is a bad idea.

Need to sell this god damned Titan-X so I can buy a new tv :)

Haha I'm just busting your balls. I was implying that you shouldn't HAVE to "cheap out" on a refurb since I know how much you drop on GPUs :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, I'm not afraid to buy a new tv, it's just that I can't decide on which one. Ugh, I wish they weren't all just so close and had a clear winner. Although I'm definitely not spending 3500 on the new 75" Sony when I can pick up the 70" Visio/Sharp/LG for 2k.

Also, I feel bad sending a still working tv off to the graveyard. My 42" Sony Wega has been limping along in the bedroom for far longer than it has any right to.

Give it to me ya dingus lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Those old widescreen tv's really are great, but God drat are they heavy... like hundreds of pounds :(

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My last 27" crt tv got rolled down a flight of stairs... it was just too heavy to move RIP

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It drives me nuts. "Why do you buy blurays when you can watch HD movies on Netflix?" :bang:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Sharps are REALLY solid tvs, but aren't they pulling out of the U.S. market? Doesn't make their tv's worse, but I know you mentioned warranty...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Are the various Vizio 4k tv's decent? My girlfriend is getting a pretty large Christmas bonus this year and put me in charge of hunting down a new living room tv. I see Best Buy has the 50" sharp Aquos 4k for 449$, is that one any good?

Edit: I'm going to put a "soft limit" of 650-700$ on this tv, If that helps for suggestions

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 17, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
If the TV people really want to hear my cuss at Bloodborne or watch me watching dirty movies then they can feel free, just IMO

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Something I thought of: do you have a DVI adapter for your Dreamcast? That will make a HUGE difference in quality

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Don Lapre posted:

You mean VGA?

I'm an idiot, yes I meant vga :) thanks

Edit: I have an unopened vga to HDMI for my Dreamcast that got destroyed in the flood and I never even got a chance to use it :(

What titles did you have that didn't work? I had an almost complete collection and can't remember anything not working...

(Sorry for the off topic post)

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 6, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
VW dropping in the humble brag :argh:

Lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
VW I would bust your balls more but I just love your drat AV :allears:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm looking at a (I guess?) more budget oriented 55" 4k, to compliment the ps4 pro I'll eventually get. I have enjoyed my Vizio 1080p TV that I got on advice here, so I suppose I'd like to stick to them if they are still reputable? How about hdr10 support? Out of the "budget" price range I assume...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

sellouts posted:

budget 4k is vizio don't play any further mental gymnastics imo

That's OK with me. Reading some reviews of some recent models, it's sounds like a lot of them are getting hdr10 added with updates so that's good too. Thanks!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, just made essentially the same comment in the Xbox thread. It's easily the least reliable player I've ever owned. I've not even put 10 discs through it and one UHD (The Revenant) goes absolutely nowhere, and one Blu-Ray (Atroz) crashes every time I choose a menu option. I wasn't sure if it had actual DVD playback because it took 2 or 3 attempts to get the one disc I tried playing.

I don't even think I've got a dud unit or anything, it's just really crap software.

My regular Xbox one release model plays DVDs and (regular) Blu Rays with 100% success... I wonder if it's drive differences because I don't think it's software...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Hmm

bull3964 posted:

Holy poo poo, this TV was worth buying for Grand Tour alone.

Grand tour is a REALLY good looking show so far, even my girlfriend watched and commented on it and she doesn't give a poo poo about cars. Makes me want to upgrade my TV 👌

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Damnit you guys are making me want to subscribe to Amazon Video for a month just to watch it in its full glory.

Today is that special offer for Prime day too, coincidence?

No it's absolutely planned. They want to make major inroads in the European market. It really does look fantastic at 1080p I can't imagine how good 4k hdr looks... The cinematography is seriously top notch, like movie quality

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

FogHelmut posted:

How much is it?

This would be much better if you can lose 5" https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag)-4K-SUHD-LED-LCD-TV-UN55KS800DFXZA.product.100290949.html

I asked this same question like 10 days ago.

The one you linked is almost 300$ more, I had to log in to check lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Maybe an odd question/criteria, maybe not? Looking at a 55-60" tv to replace my (feels ancient) Hisense H8C. I'm looking at the H8G and Vizio mq7 (I can get the mq7 about $30 cheaper). Costco also has a 58" m6, but the specs are harder to find.

I game, but not with modern stuff. I normally play on a Mister FPGA or Super NT and very sporadically on a PS4 pro. The H8C just does NOT handle the Mister or Super NT well at all :(

I also have a Shield TV and a massive Plex library.

Can I please get a recommendation or goon opinions? Would like to keep it under $600, preferably from Best Buy because of free shipping..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Social Animal posted:

My vizio m7 arrives tomorrow I’ll post with my opinions after I get it setup if that helps.

That really helps thank you! The tv that works the best with my Mister right now is an ancient Vizio 1080p lol