Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So my parents are getting a new tv for Christmas. They are looking at some pretty big models, around 75 inches. They are not getting a 4K tv though since that hardly seems worth it. Especially not in Sweden where the TV networks refuse to make HD broadcasting standard. So watching SD TV on a 4K display seems like a waste. However, I was wondering if those slightly curved displays are more than a gimmick. I have yet to study them in detail but so far it seems like it doesn't really add much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

If they are sitting right in the middle it can give an impression of a larger display, however people sitting on the sides wont have as good a view and they can make reflections worse.

Ah, I think it is best not to get one in that sense then. Since my parents have three couches around the tv and when relatives are over and whatnot we all gather in the living room, would probably make viewing the tv worse for people on the sides then.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So I have this medicore and awful Samsung Smart TV (seriously, Smart TVs suck) and I recently bought an hdmi cable to use with it going from my pc. It's 1080p, supposedly. But it still behaves strangely, I have a program that runs in a 1080p window but it is way too big for the tv screen and only fits if I set the program to 720p, looks fine on my PCs 1080p monitor. Anyone experienced anything similar? The tv claims to be in 1080p and so does windows, so no idea what it is going on.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Is, for some reason, the "Zoom" function on your TV on? Make sure it's set to "native' or something similar.

I have it set to 16:9, but I did have it on screenfit before. It might actually just be this program bugging out or something since as soon as I move it over the window becomes twice as big. But I noticed some oddities before as well. Now that I think about it, it was fine when I played a 1080p videogame on it. So it probably is just a few programs going crazy for some reason. My bad.

Edit:

Ok so spotify becomes bigger too, skype as well. What the hell? Is this some Windows voodoo or something? The wallpaper remains the same size, just the windows themselves.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 26, 2016

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

BonoMan posted:

There's no reason a program would independently resize it self relative to the system settings just when it moves to another monitor. And the wallpaper is probably just set to "stretch" so it's automatically going to resize to whatever the resolution is which may be deceiving. So, at this point I'm thinking the monitor is actually set to 720p and NOT 1080p even though you think it is. Can you screenshot/cellphone shot the setup and show that it's 1080p?

Like I said before, both the tv and windows say it is running in 1080p. It's a really weird effect. Skype, for example, is normal size until more than 50% of the window has left my main monitor, looks fine on the tv before that too. But as soon as it moves over completely it magnifies. I've never seen anything like this.

Here's a video:
http://pahlavan.se/dump/windowsvoodoo.webm

Man, cellphones really don't like poorly lit rooms. But hopefully it is clear enough what is going on.

Edit:

Funny thing is, my secondary monitor on the right there is 16:10 and 1680x1050. So not only different resolution, but different aspect ratio. Yet Windows manages to keep the size of programs constant. But when it goes from a 1080p monitor to a 1080p tv it flips out? :v:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Huh, so this is apparently something Windows 10 does that I had no idea about. Check this option in your display settings and see if something is different:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953978/displays/use-windows-10s-individual-display-scaling-to-perfect-your-multi-monitor-setup.html

loving amazing Microsoft, never ceases to amaze me. I'm using 8.1 but luckily the setting was there. Even though it was set to 100% I had to set it to that again and now it works. Thank you for showing me this. Works just the way you would expect it to now.