Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I have a 42 inch LG from 2010 that I’m thinking about replacing. I’m definitely looking to spend under a thousand, and I’ve seen a couple in that price point as well as some in the even more comfortable ~$500 price point. I have a question.

I know the big game changer right now is HDR more than 4K, and so I’m making sure that I have that with whatever I’m getting. On some of the cheaper ones though, they don’t have the wide color gamut. How much am I sacrificing? Small difference? Significant difference? Or is it all kind of a moot point bothering with HDR on something not OLED or QLED?

Obviously my TV right now isn’t even LED so I’m pretty sure anything I go with is going to be a straight improvement over what I have but I’m trying to make an informed choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
P series has Dolby Vision IIRC.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Don Lapre posted:

Set picture mode as ISF Expert dark or bright room

dynamic contrast low
noise reduction off
mpeg noise reduction off
black level auto
real cinema on
motion eye care off
True motion user (de judder to 0, de-blur to 10)
Energy saving to off

Only picture setting (like brightness, contrast, color, etc) you should touch is oled light. adjust it up or down to brighten or dim the screen to taste.

If you're paying for an OLED you should be getting every penny out of your purchase. Everyone knows that the Vivid picture mode has more color.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Hey folks. I’m in a situation where I need to give some advice to my dad about whether they should get a new tv but I’m not totally sure where I fall.

So, the TV in question is a an older plasma, 50 inch, 720p/1080i, which which is watch from about 10-15 feet away, from dead on, but sometimes from about 30ish degrees off to the side. So viewing angle is a thing.

Now, the resolution alone would normally be a no-brainer but here are my concerns:

-it’s one of the Pioneer Kuro plasmas, and it has some of the best blacks I’ve seen even to this day. I’m happy with my TCL 49s405 but its not even close in that regard, although it’s brighter and I think the contrast ratio is better

-he only wants to spend about $300. I can probably talk him up to ~$500 but the OLEDs are currently out of the price range.

This is probably going to be the last TV he ever buys so if waiting a few years is going to make a difference then that’s probably worth it, that’s where he’s at too right now, but I doubt OLEDs are going to be in that range any time soon.

Any thoughts?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TomR posted:

Is your Dad unhappy with the TV? If he's getting old there is a good chance that he can't see a difference with a higher resolution picture anyway. $300 doesn't get you a lot.

Not really. But I just got one and it got him wondering. It’s also not a smart TV which is something he’s interested in (but a Roku could probably fix that). It’s definitely not a very bright TV and I think he’d notice that for sure, but those inky blacks tho

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’m having a good experience with that one. My only real complaint is that it’s not really bright enough to get the most out of HDR, but it’s pretty amazing for the price.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've managed to come across an oddity in my setup that probably means a bunch of menu checking or changing things on each watch, but it seems the TV hooked up to the HDMI 2 of my receiver (essentially a mirror of HDMI1) isn't getting the center channel of multichannel audio. Any movie I watch has no dialog.

Every day it's a new reason to bang my head against a desk I swear.

Just to check, are you testing this on movies before 1927?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Do you think OLEDs are ever going to be as cheap as LEDs are now? I mean, I know there was a time when plasmas were just as expensive, but it seems like production costs have always been the problem for OLED, and LG is really the only game in town for manufacturing right now.

OTOH it seems like they’ve really become a lot more mainstream in the last few years in a way they really weren’t the first time around so maybe I just don’t have the right perspective.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The real lesson is that I clearly wasn’t paying attention in 2015.

Thesis refuted, Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

bull3964 posted:

What's funny is if you look at the test started last year, the IPS LCD is showing visible burn in now at week 26.

That’s really weird