Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey as a person who has never had bigger than a 21' dumb tv due to being a dumb idiot who never stayed in one place and lack of actual money that's looking into getting the first "big screen" so I can stop watching movies/netflix on my computer monitor, has the OP been updated?

From the last couple of pages I'm probably going to do a 55' but I don't know what's good or what's not please help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the LG OLED 55" 2020 is what I was looking at but it's popped up under the Amazon's choice ordeal and I wanted to make sure it's actually pretty good. What's the difference between OLED and OLED-CX though?

1500-2000 is the range I've put away for this tv, and then I've been told that I should get a soundbar which I have no experience with either. I'm a dumb baby.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beep by grandpa posted:

Read this whole page starting from the top of this page to your post as I went over some of the key details showcasing the difference. Long story short you're probably better off with the C9 (2019) model

I know this is a different sort of conversation but what's the big comparison between the B9 and C9? I'm being thrown a lot of suggestions and not really a lot of explanation (outside of this thread, thank you friends for typing this all up and explaining)

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess this is my big next question, are protection plans still a loving scam or should I get one lmao

anyway I got the C9 2019, so now I gotta look into a soundbar and I should be good for moving into this new house, please help

Asema fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 2, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taima posted:

The main reason you don't see wider recommendation of the B9 is that OLEDs are expensive enough that most people affording them will spend a couple notes to get the upgraded version.

This is what I did! I was literally like "ey it's not that much more expensive' lmao

I was told to get this soundbar, and wanted to run by you nerds because I am again a baby who knows nothing: https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Ultra-Slim-Universal-Subwoofer/dp/B07H1B3PY9

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man i'm kinda really bummed, but with COVID is there any other way of getting a good tv that isn't "rely on amazon"

the C9 that I ordered through recommendations of this thread came in today and the upper right was literally pinched inward. A sizeable pinched like somebody took industrial clamps to the upper right and now I'm just extremely frustrated with the process and just wanting a god drat loving tv.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to go through the process with amazon of replacement, and if this one falls on it's face I'm going to get my friend and do curbside. Just extremely frustrated. Amazon originally wouldn't send out the replacement and was just offering a refund until I called and complained and then magically was able to get a replacement.

I feel bad about it.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The second tv that was shipped by amazon was also 100% busted on arrival.

Does the B9 do everything the C9 can in terms of the PS5? I'm mad/upset and at this point just want a loving tv

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I pick up a new B9 on Friday so hopefully it goes better and the savings I get from that can go elsewhere to improving my house.

It just sucks to buy a new tv, have it be bent inwards at the top and then wait patiently for the replacement only for that one to be busted too. Amazon shipped through Vanns and I will never blast a single company for the millions of things that could have happened, but I'm going to be a little bit weary of that going forward.

Edit; When my partner and I started this process we were moving into our new house, and this upcoming weekend was supposed to be a "drink/relax together and play last of us 2 on an actual tv since we've been using my 27 inch computer monitor as a screen" lmao and if the B9 on friday doesn't shape up or has something wrong with it then I'll probably just cry over a loving TV

Asema fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 16, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UFOTacoMan posted:

:same:

Just got a bent 55” LG B9 shipped from amazon/vanns.

Top right corner bent forward cause the box corner got smashed. Hell yeah!

It came all the way from Arizona to NC for no reason.

Vanns not having a good record so far lmao. I'm sorry that you also got a busted unit, thankfully Amazon's return process during COVID is really easy. Are you doing a replacement or return? If it's a replacement I hope the second one comes safely!!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UFOTacoMan posted:

I’ve opted for a refund. I’m going to ship it back Monday and wait for my money to be refunded and then possibly start looking to get one from Best Buy that I can pick up myself. The LG B9 55” is a nice price for me and I wish I could find a B9 65” in stock, I may use this incident to justify getting what I really want...maybe a C9 65”.

I just picked up my 55" B9 and it's got the world's largest scratch from one side of the screen to the other right in the middle and after the stress of moving into a new house this was the straw that has made me just yell for fifteen minutes in unadulterated rage at one of my plants.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are samsung tv's okay. Like I know there isn't a B9 or C9/X standard but like is the QLED series they put out okay.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dogen posted:

Yeah they’re the alternative recs on rtings if you don’t want a B9, basically. Q80 or Q70.

I have a CX coming on Tuesday.

Soooooooo fourth time is the charm, and if that fails I'm going to go get one of them from the store itself and have them show it to me before I even leave the store.

I got mad after the third broken TV, thread I'm letting you know I'm probably going to cry if this one is broken too.

angryrobots posted:

How's your plant doing

I moved it to a better sun spot and apologized for my rage so I'm telling myself it's doing fine.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paul MaudDib posted:

They are fine if you are looking for a “premium” LCD but there isn’t a lot of value there over a bargain LCD. Get a cheaper LCD or stretch up to an OLED.

Friend I am on attempt #4 of getting an OLED. The question was asked out of anger and "gently caress I just want a TV" desperation.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I go 4 out of 4 on broken/damaged tv's over the last month I'm just going to stake my claim as the unluckiest girl in the world*

*this is a joke, I understand this is peak 100% first world country problems

Asema fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 20, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Something happened and my delivery is rescheduled to tomorrow and I'm fine. It's fine. Everything is fine.

I have a few friends who have the TCL series and they all recommend it so I would def spend a bit more to get it!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UFOTacoMan posted:

lmao UPS just dropped off the SAME busted LG B9 at my house after I took it to the UPS Customer Center to be returned to Amazon yesterday evening.

just lmao

oh jesus lmao dude lmao

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know there happens to be much more important things today(if you can spare some extra $ please donate to some abuse charities/shelters) but my 4th tv came today and it's not broken/cracked in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks everyone! It is indeed my very first OLED!

American McGay posted:

I'm legitimately happy for you. As fun as it was to watch from the sidelines I'm glad your long nightmare is finally over. If this is your first OLED you're in for quite a shock.

Since I can laugh at things now, there were air bubbles in the plastic protection screen that they put over the "Energy Save" sticker and my mind immediately went "not again" and I started to tear up before the logical side of my brain kicked in and said "can you loving chill for half a moment"