Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm looking to pick up my parents a new TV to replace their old CRT(!) for Christmas. I'm looking to not spend more than a couple hundred, preferably in the $300-$400 range. They obviously don't keep up with tech but I don't want to get a piece of crap either, what kind of size and features should I be looking for in that price range? I'd like to get them a 1080 display, and I have an old PS3 to hook up to it for blurays and junk.

I've only bought monitors before so I have no idea what to look for in a TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
After poking around a bit more I came across this Samsung and was wondering if there are any big reasons to not go with this if I don't anticipate smart TV stuff ever being used? It looks pretty nice and is well within my price range, but I have no clue about TVs really.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I forget what the exact setting is called but its the automatic backlight adjusting thing. Good idea on a phone maybe, but I have no clue why you'd want it on a TV.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have any input on this Toshiba 40L310U? It would be our primary TV, mostly for movies and gaming. Was planning on picking up a new vizio because I've had no problems with the last one I used extensively. Would be nice to save some money but if there is some big issue I'd rather spring for something I already know works well and looks nice.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Recently got an Xbone and am thinking about jumping up to a 4K hdr display. I have a pretty modest home theater setup, I mostly play games and watch movies, and the room it’s in is usually decently lit and has I’d say medium wide viewing angles. Tv is in the corner next to a front window facing roughly 45 degrees out to a couch and two chairs.

Currently have a vizio from ~2016 that’s served me well, so I don’t think I’m super picky about most of the concerns.

Mostly gaming and movies are what I care about, plus the hdr sound cool to me. Not really interested in high refresh rates. Size about 50-55”, budget would be $500 at the very maximum, preferably decently under that. Is there any models I could be in the lookout for during holiday sales?

Also I don’t care about smart stuff, I have a million ways to get Netflix in the tv.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Can anyone recommend a tv mount stand? I’m looking at getting something new and it looks like if I go for a 55” model it won’t fit on my current media center if the feet are on the far ends. I’d also like to be able to adjust the height so I could stick a center channel speaker under it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My new vizio M quantum 55” something or other got in yesterday. Got it I mounted onto a little aftermarket stand so it would fit on my media center and holy gently caress this thing is MASSIVE. The only thing that makes it not look completely ridiculous in my living room is that we have tall ceilings. So loving glad I didn’t got for a 65”.

Anyway tonight I’ll get to troubleshoot why the sound wasn’t coming through the speakers hooked up to the receiver and try and find a good picture setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Unsure if this is the right thread but I'm toying with the idea of grabbing one of those little portable projectors for backyard/vacation movie nights and baseball watching. Anyone have recommendations there or are they even worth spending money on? How do they handle games? I'd obviously feel dumb buying a sub-1080p display in 2021 so I was looking at mostly that range that Anker puts out.