Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I notice the OP is old and out of date. I am looking to get a reasonably large TV for my main living room. I will be using it for TV, streaming, and games, but nothing competitive so a super low latency isn't necessary. I don't need or want 3d technologies (are those even still a thing?) and I defnintely don't want a curved tv.

Is there a great brand or go-to model that is a good purchase? I know there are normally goon picks in the display thread, or other hardware type threads so I was wondering if there was a gold standard here too.

In terms of actual size... I am really not too sure. Probably >50 inch. I don't know if 4k is worth it really. I am a complete TV noob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So would 1080p be the way to go or is 1440p a thing in tv's too? Also do tv's like monitors have different size ratios? or is 16:9 standard for tv's? Is 1080p better than 1080i?

Also I absolutely hate Automotion plus garbage, is all that stuff standard, I am super sensitive to the soap opera affect and would rather it be gone completely.

finally I was hoping to put my tv on a swivel mount so it can be watched from teh kitchen or the living room, is this mounting scheme standard or is this a whole new can of worms?

edit: One more question, a lot of tv's I am looking at seem to have an "effective refresh rate" of 240Hz, I am assuming this is some kind of deceptive marketing and its not really 240Hz?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 12, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

Tv's go from 1080p to UHD ~4k. There arn't 1440p tv's and yes 16:9 is standard.

Motion interpolation (automotion) can be disabled in most if not all tv's.

You can get a tv with a swivel base already or wall mount it with an adjustable mount.

Effective refresh rate is usually double actual refresh rate (though not always). A tv that claims 240hz effective is probably 120hz native. A 120hz effective rate tv is probably 60hz.

Awesome thanks for all the info.

SO I am looking at this tv, in the 70 inch area: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E65-C3-65-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00VIMIV6E/ref=sr_1_10?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1431457757&sr=1-10

But it seems this thread suggests: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E600i-B...=E70-C3+70-Inch

Is there any reason why I would want one over the other? They both seem like solid TV's.

Also, I might actually be overthinkning my size allowance in my living room, so I might have to shift down to something along the lines of 50 inches. WHen I look at 50 inch I notice a much smaller price gap between 1080p and UHD, at that point is it worth it to go for the 4k or is it always just pissing money away?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Awesome, thanks for all the tips guys.

Is there anyway to figure out how the viewing angle is for these tv's. I would like something that I can ideally still see at side angle, and I know some tv's in the past have had problems with that.

Also why Vizio? I thought Panasonic was leading the tv front.

Also someone was saying that 1080p content will look worse on a 4k monitor than on a 1080p monitor. Is that true? Is the upscaling problematic?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 12, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Can someone explain what OLED is in comparison to LED and why it seems like everyone wants one?

Also for mounting my tv to a swivel mount, is it best if I just hire someone to do it?

Also are most modern tv's wifi enabled or will I need an ethernet cord?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

And who is the front runner for OLED's? And at what size do they become price prohibitive? How new is the tech and when do we expect to see price drops?

It sounds fascinating, and by far the best solution for me because I would like a super wide viewing angle.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cool, it definitely seems price prohibitive right now so maybe in a couple years it will be reasonable. Also I do not like curved displays.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

When will all the 2015 models be out? I was told that by the end of May everything for 2015 should be out there, is that true?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Can someone tell me this is a dumb tv and I am an idiot for considering it: http://www.vizio.com/tvs/m65c1.html ?

I really like it, it seems solid, not too expensive for 4k. Yes I know 4k content isn't there, but I can't help it, I kinda want 4k. Besides the 4k issue is there anything wrong or bad or dumb about this tv?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 17, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

sellouts posted:

There are plenty of reasons to not get the Vizio. But if that's the top end of your budget then it'll work fine.

Can you touch on these reasons? I am currently seriosuly interested in a 4k 65" vizio but don't want to pull the trigger if its a big dumb move.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

sellouts posted:

It's not a big dumb move. The thread has covered this at length.

I would rather spend 2k on oled with better PQ and 1080p. I don't believe more pixels is better picture at this point. 4k content is dodgy and stupid. I don't care for the backlight. I find the motion processing to be somewhat lacking in every Vizio I've seen. I don't know how good the upscale is. And there's standards issues still being worked out for 4:4:4 chroma.

It's a budget panel. It's relatively low price. It's completely up to you to determine what you value and what you can spend. Lots of people are happy with it and lots of others buy other sets. It's easy to find, give it a look, load some content on a usb thumb drive and play it. Happy with it? Buy!

I understand some of these words.

Can't the motion processing be turned off? I hate motion processing with a passion (I am assuming this is the stuff that produces soap opera effect).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

I was tracking the wrong model, I'm actually looking at the XBR75X940C. Before I pull the trigger, any reasons not to? I'm interested in the FALD blacks especially.

Curse you Subjunctive, stop reminding me I am poor! I'm looking at a 65" 4k Vizio for like 1/3 of the price.

I don't know as much as the other people in this thread but my only thing to say is you are paying a HUGE premium for 5-10". Other than that, to me, it seems like a solid TV, but like others have said, see if you can find a floor model at a local Best Buy or something so you can actually view the PQ in person.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

75" is already at the low end for the room because of weird layout (I'm cheating the couch in a foot as it is), unfortunately. I don't find seeing TVs in Best Buy to be very informative, because they usually have the settings cranked in weird ways and the lighting is harsh, plus the distance is wrong. Magnolia maybe better.

Well yeah and they do hosed up things with splitters to get weird PQ on some tv's over others. But still its better than going in blind. Also please stop bragging about room size and how 75" is the lower end you are triggering me I am a poor-kin.

Apparently right now the Best Buy way is to split all non-UHD tvs passively so they all get really grainy lovely PQ and then they can be like "Look at these terrible pictures! Now over here on our UHD (which we actively split using HDMI but nevermind that) the picture is so clear!"

Although generally if you are viewing UHD at BB the PQ will be pretty ok, but yeah weird settings to generally highlight contrast.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I have put a lot of thought into it, and I am going to wait on a good TV until OLED prices come down. That combined with the fact that 4k content is so sparse is leading me to believe this is the right decision.

So I just want to get a tv in the mean time, and all I need is >55 inches and 1080p. I don't need super quality but just a decent enough TV for when I do want to play rockband when the friends are over.

I am looking into Vizio and I have two questions:

1) Some people I know are literally losing their minds over the fact that I am considering a vizio, considering the brand to be literally trash and telling me I will have to buy a new TV within a year because they are so badly made with such quality issues.

2) Would it be a bad idea to order a TV off amazon? Or should I stick to a store front?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

sellouts posted:

What TV do you have now?

Best Buy will price match Amazon if you're buying from Amazon and not a 3rd party.

None. I don't currently own a tv.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

sellouts posted:

Then yeah, with Amazon charging tax now I'd just price match what I wanted at Best Buy and see if they'll get you anything else that is sweeter.

Also 55" OLED is down to 2k w/ no tax at certain retailers, if that's closer to your price barrier.

Figure I can get a dirt cheap 1080p for less than half that. And unfortunately when I do want to go big I am going to go ~70" and for OLED that is insanely expensive now.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Where can I look up what a particular tv's ACTUAL refresh rate is, whether or not I can turn off whatever stupid automotion interpolation bullshit it has, and what its screen latency is? I am looking at the E65-C3 by Vizio and it lists it as 240Hz "Effective" refresh rate, which to me probably means its doing some stupid interpolation nonsense which makes things look like garbage to me.

Latency is also important to me and I cannot find that information anywhere either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Why the heck is it so hard to find HDMI 2.0 cables? Every review on amazon has a few people saying how its not really 2.0 and can't do UHD at 60 Hz.