Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How much does Best Buy negotiate on tv prices, if at all? I want to get a 65" LG B6P and I can find it for like $2200 on those bait and switch sites like tv superstore, and the understanding I get from posts online is that my Citi price rewind will match up to $500 and will match those types of offers. Best Buy has this TV for $3000, if I go in and ask nicely if they will negotiate on price at all, what are the odds I can get it down a couple or 300 bucks and get the rest of the difference with a credit card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Hmm okay, I read on some other sites in the meanwhile that some people had been able to get like 10% off in some cases by asking them to like beat Amazon's price or finding a scratched box or something, but I guess it just depends on the manager?

What about that eBay deal for the E6P, my understanding is that as long as they are selling an item at a fixed price and I e-mail them to get rid of the bundle and just sell me a single TV, my credit card should be willing to price rewind that $2800 into the $2300 from another site, right?

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 20, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hitachi posted:

Does anyone know if the Citi price rewind will work using an ebay listing? If I can buy from Best Buy and just get $500 back from the price rewind instead of buying off ebay that would be cool.

I don't think they will do that, BUT 2-3 people on another AV forum that I found no google reported being able to buy an item off ebay and price rewind that item to one of the scummy sites as long as the ebay item wasn't an auction. They all were able to price rewind the iElectrica deals, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this listing last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172451922133

And submitted the paperwork for it to be price rewinded to this ad:

http://www.tvsuperstores.com/LG_E6_...Qb60aAurE8P8HAQ

We'll see what happens!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Got my LG OLED set up, it rules! Although it really makes the input from my digital cable STB (standard Time Warner basic networks only) feed look like total poo poo, like worse than I expected. Like, for instance some of the small print at the bottom of car ads is unreadable because there's kinda like the text is being cut off almost at the tops and bottoms of the letters? Hard to describe, I'll try to get a picture sometime.

I'm using all the settings from here apart from the white balance settings:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e6/settings

One other bug that apparently a lot of people have, I can't enable HDR on my PS4 pro, it says HDR not supported on this TV. I haven't messed around with settings yet though, may be able to fix that.

Overall I watched some poo poo on Netflix through the PS4 and it looked great, dunno if it would be any better/worse to watch it from Netflix from the TV's built in app.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

Turn on HDMI Deep Color. It's buried in the general settings menu.

This fixed it, still can't figure out why the signal from my cable box is so bad on some channels though, I mean I'm only looking at the major networks since that's all I have, I figured it should still look like normal 1080i or whatever, so like the text from my example should still be plenty readable and all

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah is antenna a better signal/less compressed? I might go back to that but I had a hard time with my Mohu leaf getting good signal all the time which is why I'm paying for Time Warner's basic networks thing for NFL games.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hm I can try to set my leaf up again and try to find a good spot for it. Hope the E6P has a signal meter mode.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

It doesn't that I know of

Man my panasonic had that and it was super useful, wonder why more TVs dont

I guess it's not used very often lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well, I was able to enable HDR on the PS4 with the E6P but now occasionally it like just goes to black? And at one point while I was playing it just went to black and stayed that way until I turned HDR off so uhhh I guess that scene was very dark indeed!

Hopefully that's just a bug that gets patched out sometime

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Here's how I got it working on my C6, I turned to a channel and moved antenna to make it smooth. Then I checked the other channels and adjusted. Took like 5 minutes.

Also I have 0 issues with HDR on my Xbox one S.

Yeah, I mean that's fine and all but since it's digital it's not like you can really judge by the picture whether you're getting good signal or not, 70% might look the same as 100% except that if you start to get weather or something, the 70% placement will start dropping out and the 100% placement will drop to 80% and be fine.

That's been my experience anyway, I have two Mohus, one upstairs on a Samsung with no signal meter and one was downstairs on the old Viera with a signal meter, and I really liked having the meter.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is HDCP the thing that lets me control the PS4 with the TV remote? drat I found that pretty useful, so I just have to choose between HDR and that?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh ok cool so I can just disable that and it sounds like it won't affect anything? Or is that a requirement for like some video apps?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

No, that's HDMI-CEC. HDCP is the copyright encryption protocol for HD video.

So I looked it up and this has to be enabled to also record gameplay which I actually do a fair amount, is there any other fix for this HDR issue, as far as like firmware for the TV or anything?

Will they probably come out with one eventually if there isn't? I heard it already got resolved on I think the B6?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KS posted:

You lose HDR on the E-series, don't you? I'd say that's a big loss.

Yeah that's what I'm saying I would like to have hdr on but apparently it makes it so I have to disable gameplay recording and Netflix and poo poo which I also don't really want to do and there's no reason I should have to on a fuckin 3000 dollar tv

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying I would like to have hdr on but apparently it makes it so I have to disable gameplay recording and Netflix and poo poo which I also don't really want to do and there's no reason I should have to on a fuckin 3000 dollar tv

Update if anyone cares or is thinkin about getting the E6: I updated the firmware to 4.30.95 and everything is fine now, HDR enabled, no black screens.

For some reason the TV didn't think there were any updates available so I had to manually put it on a USB stick but it updated fine

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I sent that price rewind info for my E6 in like 15 days ago and they said they'd respond within 14 days but haven't, so now I'm startin to sweat it a little bit. It's not a huge deal, I really love this TV and I'm sure I'll get $2800 of use out of it since I plan on keeping it a long time, but getting the $500 back would be pretty cool

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So I thought my E6 was fixed as far as the HDR going black bug on PS4 pro but apparently not :(

It happened to me twice within 20 minutes today so I had to turn HDR back off, so now I'm sad

LG fix your poo poo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
He prob means the 55" which I think you can get for 1500 on sale sometimes

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think OLEDs look amazing, and I can say it's not placebo because when I first got a Vita however many years ago I had never heard of OLED, all I knew was that I thought the screen was amazing and couldn't tell you why until later

Anyway I have a LG E6 now and I love it a lot

I'm not sure if Citi is actually gonna give me the $500 price rewind or not but if they don't and I pay $3k for a TV that I'll keep for years and years I'm probably fine with it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if LG is gonna make a Twitch app sometime?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So Citi didn't end up honoring the price rewind on my TV for some reason, I have no idea why. I started a price rewind on the day I bought it, immediately sent in the filled out PDFs, didn't hear anything back, sent the PDFs in again a few weeks later, still didn't hear anything back, then got super busy IRL and didn't notice that 60 days had gone by. I still might try calling them since I did get my info in during the 60 days with tons of time to spare, but I just wanted to let anyone know trying to do credit card price matching stuff that it may not be reliable.

I'm still happy with my E6 for $2800, although I'm still getting the HDR bug on my PS4 pro after doing a hard factory reset and firmware update, so they haven't fixed that yet.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I think my 65 is marginally too big for some things. Like if I'm playing persona 5 and reading the text and a character makes a face or does a thing I have to look away from the text, I can't see both

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, a TV is too big if you have to turn your head.

Not turn my head per se but like look away to where I can't see the text anymore

It's not a huge deal though it still seems fine for just like watching stuff

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is game of thrones especially darkly lit or something? On my E6P I feel like I get a lot of crushed blacks and some stuff is hard to make out but it's great with every other show I've watched on it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ex post facho posted:

It is/was definitely the source or the compression on the HBO Now GOT episodes. I'm watching some very dark/near dark scenes in Marco Polo on Netflix 4k dolbyvision (beautiful show btw) and there's no banding at all.

Oh hm I am indeed watching it on HBO Now, that sucks

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Why can't you name em?m
Ages ago I got a tv from some New York or jersey grey market seller. Tv got fried soon

lol, was it East Coast TVs?

I tried to buy from there, I had to call and talk to NYC Guido Voice on the phone to confirm my order, who tried to upsell me on a newer model and I'm like nah man just give me the one I ordered

And it didn't come for like 2 months and I called and cancelled it

Apparently that's the gimmick, if you buy one of the deep sale ones and don't get upsold they just don't ever charge you or send you anything

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You can sometimes use your credit card price rewind to match their price.

Although that didn't work for me, haha. I ended up paying the whole $2900 for mine from ieletrica but I mean hell I'll keep this TV for a long time and it's loving amazing so whatever

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

So what's the play? They take your order and don't charge your card until they can upsell you somehow?
Yep, if you don't ever call to be upsold they'll just say "ok we're working on it" then never charge it so you can't actually like sue them or anything

Or they'll be like oh sorry it's taken so long if you want to pay $250 you can get our white glove service where it will be shipped in 2 days and installed or some poo poo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's weird I had a panasonic plasma and I would leave it on like NCAA football menus for hours and I would notice a little bit of burn in like minutes later but it would always go away pretty fast

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm confused what "HDR Game" refers to

On my E6, which is a 2016, I only have "HDR Effect" and "Game", there's nothing called "HDR Game"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

You can't select the mode until HDR is triggered. It lowers the response time of the TV so there's less input lag.

I don't game on my TV and even if I did I would have nothing to do HDR gaming so I can't really comment.

I mean I have HDR on on my PS4 Pro and all, I just don't see anything that literally says "HDR Game"

I'm in "Game" mode, with HDR on, if that's what people mean

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just now got the HDR game bug everyone is talkin about haha

I think the thing was before the games I played didn't actually support HDR so the TV never went into HDR mode, on the E6P

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep

I played FIFA 18 demo and got the HDR Game bug, went back to playing normal FIFA 17 and it just went back to Game (User) as the picture setting

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
drat must be crazy to still use a flip phone in 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Even with the new update, my E6P still keeps doing the "occasionally going to completely black until I reboot it" thing on the PS4 Pro.

I know some people said to try switching HDMI cables, is there a recommended brand? Do I remember right that the amazon basics ones are good?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the artificial smoothening poo poo is the absolute worst feature of new-ish TVs and I turn it off on all of them

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

I've never watched that show nor do I care about it or its archaic creators. If you want to watch slow motion, thats fine. I prefer more natural, true-to-life motion

oh I get it

this is a good troll tbh

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure he's trolling because of the true-to-life thing, I don't think anyone's actually that unaware of how the thing actually works but maybe I'm being optimistic

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

If I looked out my window and saw people walking down the road at the same speed as TV shows and movies without the added compensation of modern displays, I would say, "hey man, why are you moving like that?" to which they'd probably respond "hello, I have been sent here from the realm of 4:3 and VHS!". Of course then I would direct them to the nearest landfill to be buried expeditiously. I cant understand your resistance to watching television where things have motion closer to what you see in real life. Its not like its fast forwarded like a facebook recipe video.

when you turn motion smoothing on

your TV is literally making poo poo up

It does make things look better occasionally, like static text or something moving in exactly one vector that never changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hey man do whatever you want

set your sharpness to 100 also, why wouldn't you want it to be the sharpest, you're paying good money for that TV