Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I'm looking at Samsung plasmas for a new TV. How big of an upgrade is the F8500 series over the F5500? Twice the price seems significant for what I'm assuming is the next step up in the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Is a Best Buy floor model Panasonic 50" S60 an ok idea or should I spend the extra $150 on a brand new Samsung 51" F5500? I'm easily swayed by internet hype but I'm not sure I would even be able to notice the difference. I've got a nearby best buy with one that is missing the stand. I guess it would be a wash if I needed to buy a new stand since I'm not planning on wall mounting?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Phone posted:

So since finding a VT60 set is impossible now, Wal-Mart has an LG 60PN5000 for $600.

I know this isn't the best, but the best isn't available any more. :(

Are there any other sets I should seriously consider? Looking for a plasma (ideally) to watch movies and play games.

Costco has the Samsung 60" 5350 for$750. I don't think LGs are generally reviewed as well as the Samsungs but the extra $150 might not be worth it to you.

edit: realized this was all covered on the previous page

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a Samsung plasma tv that I'm kind of over due to the glare. It isn't the last super nice plasmas they had but its a pretty decent one. How comparable is the 2018 6 series TCL? I'm particularly picky about black levels more than anything. That Costco deal is super tempting.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Just an FYI since people have mentioned it but the 65" Series 6 is going to be 600 bucks on BF at Costco. I assume it's the 2018 version since that is what they've been stocking.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

If I want a longer power cord for my tv there's no reason I can't use a three prong cord even if the tv doesn't use the ground, right?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

How long are LG C1s going to stick around? The price is right but I need to wait a couple months before purchasing.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Cheap Shot posted:

So I’m a first time TV buyer. I’m a filthy poor so up until now I’ve mainly had hand me down tv’s that just collect dust. I decided I’d really like to start playing my switch docked, and watching youtube/twitch on my couch. I don’t have newer consoles and likely won’t any time soon. I don’t watch streaming services or movies much but I probably would start to more. I also have an old wii and ps3 I’d like to hook up as well. The main things are playing switch and watching youtube and twitch though.

So I saved for quite a while and I did as much research as I could and went and bought a TCL 6 series R635. (The newer ones aren’t available in Canada for whatever reason). 65” if that matters. I think I’d prefer 55” but they were sold out. Reviews all said it was amazing for the price and perfect for gaming. Now that I’ve spent some time with it however, I’m really not sure it’s the best fit for my usage, and it seems really awful with 30fps games. 30fps games is what I’m here to ask about.

I really want to play games like animal crossing and breath of the wild, which are capped at 30fps even when docked. I’m finding however that trying to do so is extremely hard on my eyes. When I switch to my Switch, the TCL roku settings kick on “gaming mode” automatically to reduce the input lag. It also disables and locks any of the gimmicky smoothing stuff. I find that anything that moves across the screen really looks horrible. Everything in motion is basically doubled and has a lot of sort of…I hesitate to say flicker because I know there are lots of terms to describe visual phenomena on tv’s and I can’t seem to pin down all of their definitions. People online in forums and on youtube keep using words like flicker, judder, stutter, smearing and ghosting interchangeably and to talk about different things so it’s been hard to keep it straight.

I tried disabling gaming mode and turning on some of the forbidden smoothing features, but even with none of them enabled, just turning off gaming mode makes the input delay way too much. I took a video of the issue and grabbed a screenshot from it that shows what I’m talking about. Attaching it to the post.

This is really driving me crazy. Some things on the screen are almost fully doubling in motion. I’ve noticed a bit of this on other displays, and I imagine it’s not a problem that can be completely eliminated, but it seems much more extreme on this tv than I can put up with. To the best of my ability to learn on my own, I think the name of this issue is may be “ghosting”? Correct me if I’m wrong on that since I’ve seen other people using it to describe blurry black trails following stuff. I can’t figure out what the exact factors are behind this doubling in motion, and what I should be looking for in a tv if I want to minimize this problem on 30fps gaming content. I’ve seen some sources suggesting it’s a product of response time, and that faster response time improves it. But I’ve also seen a lot of sources claiming faster response time is actually making it worse and more noticeable. (???) I’ll probably return this tv since there’s other things about it I don’t like too, but I have no idea what I should get instead that would be best for my usage, because I’ve tried and failed to understand the uh, fundamentals I guess of what I’m seeing here. I figured I might ask in here because this is stressing me out too much, and the more I research, the stupider and sadder I feel. Please help me.

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable or a different port? Do you have a different dock you can try? I believe I have the slightly older version of that TV and I have never noticed anything approaching what you describe or what that picture shows. I just went and loaded up AC to see what it looked like because I played a LOT when it first came out and it doesn't look or behave like this at all. I have zero motion smoothing on except maybe cinema mode, gaming mode is on, etc. Not sure what your issue is but I don't believe it should look like this and it would annoy the absolute poo poo out of me if it did. Are you still within your return window?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Video Only has the LG C3 and Samsung S90C for the same price. On paper, the S90C seems to be the better TV. We use an Apple TV 4K to stream poo poo and watch stuff off of Plex in addition to my PS5 video gaming. Reddit will not shut up about Dolby Vision. Our current setup has the TV facing a bank of windows so the anti glare coating on the Samsung is appealing. Any thoughts? I have not yet looked at them side by side but it sounds like the Samsung has noticeably more vibrant colors and if I were to get one I would need to make sure they're the gen2 panels.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Does the Apple TV require you to be in the Apple ecosystem? Or at least does it tie in a lot with other Apple stuff? I'm mostly in on Google.

You need an apple id to download apps but as long as you aren't subscribed to services through Google Play you can just enter in your login details like any other service. Apple TV+ isn't even Apple exclusive anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

codo27 posted:

I was gonna commend him for not putting it higher. Most people I know have the loving things touching the ceiling.

my buddy texted me a couple weeks ago after discovering the r/tvtoohigh subreddit and becoming despondent over his choices