Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With all I've heard about how good plasma's picture quality is supposed to be I went to look at one in a store. I know a store will have the tv's calibration all out of whack but I was not prepared for how pixelated the Samsung F5300 looked. It was the 60" model and I could notice the pixels from a pretty fair distance away. This coming from someone who uses a 32" 1080p tv as a monitor so its not like I'm sensitive to the screen door effect. The other thing I noticed was how jerky the motion looked on the tv. They had a demo video playing on all the tv's and one scene had a banner slide in the from side and the plasma looked super jerky.

Everything I've read about plasma's say they're supposed to be the superiority picture quality panel and now is the last chance to get them. I know the F5300 is a step down from the F8500 Samsung's been making and getting praise with. But can someone explain why it may have looked so pixelated and jerky in the store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Okay that gave me something to search on which took me to some posts at the avs forums. I'll continue to do some reading on that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ranma posted:

Samsung F5300. It is a plasma, 60" for $700. As long as you aren't constantly watching it in a super bright room, it is a great TV.

I would say look at one on display first. The pixelation of the screen really shocked me.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well the same lovely source was playing on all the other tvs on display in the store and that plasma was the only one to make notice how bad the screen door effect was.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ranma posted:

It is a pentile display. If you are within 3-4 feet of the TV, you can notice it, at 10 feet it looks identical to non pentile displays.

I was a good 5 to 6 feet away from the display and it stuck out pretty bad, and I'm not sensitive to the screen door effect at all. Thus my advice for people to try and see them on display. I saw one set up in Sears.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Well for not being sensitive to the screen door effect and for a set that is generally excellently reviewed, I'm gonna still say you probably saw a broken unit or it really was still just the source.

Typically going into a Best Buy or Sears or whatever, in my opinion, is a way to get a terribly misinformed opinion of a set since they are generally setup so poorly by people that don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Right, but it was the same source to all the tv's, and the screen door effect was BAD on that F5300. Either way, this doesn't do anything to dispute my main point of that a person should really go look at a F5300 plasma before they buy it just to see if they see the same thing I did.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Oh well that's excellent to hear and I think that will help other people looking at them. Thanks for that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

1997 posted:

Did any of your research include this thread? Just get a Vizio. Low input lag, good price, decent picture quality.

Umm which Vizio?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

So Premiere Tv's has the LG 55" oled 1080p tv for $1350. Is this a dumb buy?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dallan Invictus posted:

Possibly in the "too good to be true" sense. Are you sure you aren't misreading something somewhere and signing away your soul and/or a kidney along with that $1350?

poo poo. Meant to include link. It's from here: http://www.premiertvs.com/LG-55EC9300-55-OLED-Smart-TV-1080p-FullHD-LG-55EC9300AU-CA/p-1588

Edit: Weird. They have a separate listing for this: http://www.premiertvs.com/LG-55EC93...WARRANTY/p-1587 No idea what the difference is.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 22, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

qirex posted:

AU/CA might be Australian/Canadian model? Not sure if there's any real difference between those models and the US one. Either way I'd put that solidly in the "suspiciously cheap" category.

Yeah I'm with you. The store does get good reviews on google though. poo poo they claim to have Panasonic plasmas in stock.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Amazon is selling the LG 55ec9300 OLED tv for $1798. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZER5GS?keywords=lg%2055ec9300&qid=1444172450&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

The 2015 replacement has been selling for less than that.

Ooo what's the model number on that one please?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are there any good OLED TV's for about $2.5k? Preferably one that integrates well with Galaxy Tab S tablets. Preferably not curved.
I'm trying to find some, and the closest I can get are LG TV's that I can't find reviews about (which I normally take as a bad sign).

The LG oleds should have plenty of reviews on them. Try the 2014 models if need be.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

In the market for a new TV, having to downsize from a projector. Would love to spring for one of the new OLED TVs but 55 inches is just too small and 65 inches is just too expensive. :argh:

Also, a 1 year warranty on a $5,000 TV? Come the gently caress on.

Costco extends the manufacturer warranty to two years.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Saw some LG 4k OLED sets in a Best Buy Magnolia store. Jesus Christ the picture quality. :stare:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Tapedump posted:

A sanity check, if you please.

I currently have a nothing-special 42" Panasonic TC-L42E5 in my den that I generally sit 9 feet away from. I watch a lot of 720p TV content using XMBC/Kodi, and I play a lot of 1080p PC games on it (GTX 980, FWIW).

I find myself moving the sofa up much closer to play games like Witcher 3 that have small text and no UI scaling. I considered getting a 120Hz display for my PC, but I want to game on the couch.

So, I want a new TV, and my wish list is:

A) Be bigger than my current set, ideally 60" or 65"
B) Make my PC games look awesome by keeping their display res at 1080p but run at a higher refresh rate

My research has led me to the Vizio 4K M 2015 series, which CNET and rtings.com list as being able to do 1080p at true 120Hz.

My sanity check question is: I am correct to assume these sets will effectively be like a 120Hz PC monitor (at 1080p) so I can set a PC game to output 1080p to the TV and watch it respond ultra-smooth like a similar PC monitor would, provided my rig can pump out FPS above 60? Could a game actually display at 120 FPS? Or, is interpolation going to kill this idea?

If I'm over-assuming here, would the "worst case" scenario of a 60Hz-limited input signal from PC to TV still look improved on said Vizio (or other) 120Hz panel over the 60Hz Panasonic, despite being "only" <60 FPS?

(Also, I'm not going to find a TV 1080p panel that does true 120Hz like that, right? Not for 3D viewing but as a blazing fast, large "PC monitor." Gotta get a 4K just for that feature?)

Thank you all for helping guide me.

One thing that may throw a wrench in things is TV manufacturers will list a panel as 120hz capable, and the panel may show 120 frames per second, the problem is the panel is using frame interpolation to make a frame in between each 60 hz frame. So you get 120 frames on the panel, but the input is limited to 60 fps. When you turn on motion interpolation like that it will introduce input lag. I found on my 60" Vizio there were still times I would change the resolution on my pc from 1080p to 720p in order to get UI's and text readable from the couch. It made things real easy on my video card at least.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

120hz tv's arn't always using frame interpolation. Most of the time they simply repeat each frame twice (or 5 times for 24hz material). Motion Interpolation is something you can turn on or off 99% of the time.

Well drat learned something new. But this means that if a tv's panel is truly capable of displaying 120 fps the input may still only be able to take in 60 fps and then just repeat frames?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Like the monitor thread in sh/sc I'm going to start wish for incredible bullshit with no foundation in reality. Sooo come on 120hz input capable oled tv!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

The 27" isn't widescreen, but it still weighs 90 pounds. Those ginormous 32" widescreen CRT tvs were ridiculous.

Oh god I worked in a warehouse where I had to move those fuckers. Sony's were so much heavier than equivalent sized tvs. And yes the 32" ones would break your back.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Any thoughts on the Sharp LC-70UH30U. It's 100 more than the Vizio but it has an adjustable stand and the Vizio feet are too wide for my table. Seems to basically trade blows with the Vizio, but I've never owned a Sharp so not sure what it's like long term. It also does 4k60@4:4:4 so I can use it with my pc.

I have a 46" sharp from way back in 2008. Never given me a single issue and its still going strong.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lamquin posted:

This might be a bit offtopic, but does anyone have personal experience with "Ambient backlight" on TVs? It's time to start thinking about Christmas presents, so I'm poking around a bit for my brother who watches a lot of Netflix from his PC connected to his TV.

I've seen both the "Lightpack" and the AmbiVision mentioned when I only took passing glance about the topic. It seems like a gimmick, but a pretty nice looking gimmick. :shobon:

Since I've never seen this personally in action, I'm curious if it's worth digging deeper into or if it's something that'll be used once and then turned off because it's a hassle/distracting.

I got an Antec usb led bias light strip in white that I stuck on the back of my monitor for ambient backlight and it turned out to be a real nice thing. It was super cheap, around $13 in Fry's where I saw it. It made the room look nice http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Accent-...c+bias+lighting

Other options instead of the reactive one is to go with something that will let you change the color like the dioder lights from Ikea, or the multicolor led light strips they make now. They even come with a remote to change the color wirelessly.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

goferchan posted:

Why a soundbar? It still blows my mind that people spend $1,000+ on a TV but then settle for the audio equivalent of a 32" CRT or whatever ..... get some speakers dude!!

edit: I mean I understand if you have space considerations or if you have a shared living situation where you don't necessarily want to crank the volume up. But unless soundbars are nowadays way better than I understand them to be, you can get decent speakers pretty cheaply and have an audio experience as good as your visual one

You know how people who listen to music seriously complain about the "loudness wars" and how there's no dynamic range in music? With movies there is too much dynamic range. The dialogue is all whispers and all the action is way too drat loud. In this case I don't want the sound the speakers can provide because by the time I get it up loud enough where I can hear dialogue, any sort of action will shake things off the walls. Yes I've boosted the center channel as loud as it will go, yes I've applied the night setting which is supposed to normalize the audio. Still happens.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sometimes it depends on what audio format the source is in, but a good receiver will have a 'late night' option to compress the audio a bit.

I ran 5.0 in my apartment for years and nobody ever banged on my door or complained through the front desk or anything.

Yeah I run the night option as I said. Although I do run with the .1 channel, aka sub. That's the going to be the channel most liable to piss off neighbors. Sound mixes in movies are still god awful though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rtings should have a listing of input lag for the tvs they review. That should help narrow your search.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah still trying to find if there is a game mode and whatnot. The in-tv-manual kinda blows. :shrug: Gonna hit samsung's site and see what's clever. This TV is baller as F when it comes to plugging my PC in thus far, though. poo poo's changed bunches since last I bought a flat screen.

Thanks - I'd never even heard of the site.

Yeah taking a quick peek on there your tv series is near the top for lowest input lag at 26.5 ms. But if you have any sort of motion interpolation then its gonna go to over 100 milliseconds.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have a Samsung from 2008 I got lucky with and it looked great with text once I turned sharpness down to 0. I will say is that if you're planning on playing pc games on the couch across the room from the tv instead of the tv on a desk with you seated at it, go bigger. The way UI's are made in games there's some things you can't read easily from a far distance. I have a 60" Vizio in the living room and I could stand to go bigger I feel.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

What's the expected price area for a decent ~50in 1080 TV? Mostly used for watching a Roku and some gaming, but I'm not going to go full sperg on the refresh rate. Good enough is good enough.

$500. Wirecutter has a guide to read about them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slowhanded posted:

You're still about a grand short of being able to buy a good 1080p OLED, so don't fret about that.

I'm pretty sure LG has some 1080p oled models for under $2k these days.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

sellouts posted:

Crossposting from deals thread because I don't think people know about it:

LG Electronics 55EG9100 1080p OLED 1399 via Adorama on eBay

God am I getting close to just saying gently caress it and getting this vs the 65" flat OLED which is 3x as much.

I'm super loving tempted to get that TV.

Edit: welp, that sold out quickly.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 1, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Costco has a deal for an oled for 2k but you get a $200 gift card back.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

farfidnuggin posted:

Hey friends, I picked up a Samsung UN50J5200 for pretty cheap during Cyber Monday sales. I haven't had a TV in years, but I knew the audio was going to be less than desirable. Turns out, it's trashier than I expected and I need to pick up some sort of speakers system. I've never done audio for a TV before, any suggestions at a reasonable price?

Soundbar might be the easy way to go.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ok thread, Sony xbr55x810c for $998.00 or an LG 55ec9300 for $1499.00? One is a very nice 4k lcd and the other is a 1080p oled tv. Both of these are at Fry's.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

sellouts posted:

I think you're crazy if you choose 4k at 55" over OLED 1080p at 55"

Wait are you saying you're for or against oled in this case?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Alright gonna go for oled. Brb digging deeper in the well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Oh my god this tv. Fry's was out of stock of the ec9300. But they let me get the 55eg9100 for a hundred more. I'm watching Planet Earth off a Chromecast. And even a source as crap as streaming thru Netflix on an uncalibrated tv this thing looks amazing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sorry this is off topic and not at all what you asked but is that a toolbox in your living room?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coolnezzz posted:

It is! I live in a studio apartment with no garage or lockable outdoor storage and also happen to have a lot of tools so I have no where else to put the thing. The picture basically shows a third of my entire apartment with the front third taken up by my bed/dresser and the middle third for my desk/workspace. It does have a full kitchen and bathroom so I don't complain and it's inexpensive for the area.

I like it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Number_6 posted:

Any prospects of a 50-55" OLED for $1200 or less? Also, has LG fixed the "yellow tint" issue that some reviews mentioned for off-axis viewing? I need (want) plasma-type performance over a wide viewing angle.

Have oled, no yellow tint. Shits rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm looking for a 65" tv, I want to buy from Costco. I use a computer on my tv a lot to browse online, youtube, etc. What should I get?