Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder if the 4K version of the Firestick improves performance then, as I recently bought a regular rear end model to replace a Roku Express due to changing cable system (Xfinity has a great Roku app, AT&T only has a Firestick app and unfortunately it's crap). I find it can't even handle just plain video feeds particularly well and the framerate goes insanely choppy every now and again regardless of app.

I am sure they have updated the hardware on the non 4K by now but I have an original and a 4K and it is light years faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Yeah. I had the 65” 6 series and while it wasn’t that bad, there was definitely a big splotch in the upper corner. Just didn’t want to play the panel lottery so I returned it.

Ended up getting a 58” Hisense that was a whopping $280 from Costco on sale. Has a bright corner but not super noticeable in real watching. Interface sucks but the picture quality is actually pretty drat good and I’m willing to forgive a lot for under $300 for a basement/game TV. May or may not keep it but leaning on keeping it. I’ll get an OLED when it’s time to replace the living room TV.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

We like ours a lot.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Trying to plot out my new TV purchases. I need a TV for our main set and one for the basement for games and sports.

Looking now as the BF deals appear to have some contenders. Because I have an annoying eye for detail and prefer the safety of dealing with them plus extra warranty, I am looking basically exclusively at Costco.

Main TV contenders:
Vizio PX65 for 999
Samsung Q70 65 for 1200

These grade out really similarly on Rtings but I have a bit of a negative view towards Vizio for just overall quality and longevity even though I know they’re making some great screens. Thoughts on these 2 models? Use would be for TV shows and some movies. No games. Happy to pay less if Vizio has improved their overall quality.

Not really sure what should be on my basement TV list beyond the TCL 6 series - I have actually owned one briefly but had an issue with a dark corner and returned it - not particularly into the panel lottery game as again I have an annoying eye and whenever I pick up something stupid I never let it go. This would be primarily for PS4 pro and occasional football and other sports use. Don’t want to spend a ton down here. Would I be reasonably happy with like, a 4 series TCL for cheaper? Looking in the 55-65 range.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Buy the Vizio. Spend the extra $200 on a 55 gallon drum of Kirkland vodka to forget about it. Samsung software is garbage, don't pay extra.

For those who mentioned in passing about ielectrica vs firstclasstvs - my box says ielectrica on it and I bought it on ebay from firstclasstvs. (Yeah yeah yeah so I haven't broken down the pickup truck load of cardboard in my garage yet. Sue me.)

Yeah that’s what I did. They actually had it today for the BF price so I went for it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Boxman posted:

I realize some of this is subjective, but do people have thoughts on whether the Vizio is worth the $400 price jump over the TCL 6 series that Costco will be offering for BF?

The PX Vizio gets reviewed as drat close to OLED quality. The TCL has a great value but there is definitely a panel lottery component that if you have eyes for defects may significantly annoy you.

Roku interface is about 1 billion times better, though.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Really pleased with the Vizio PX65 so far. Way better panel than the TCL I had before. When local dimming is set at low, I don’t notice any of the weird flashing that happens between light and dark scenes when they go back and forth. Great value for 999, and with the 5 year Costco deal, no worries.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Well, I think the PX65 is gonna go back. The colors and blacks are gorgeous, but the off angle viewing is absolutely awful and I am seeing some significant DSE in light scenes. Also having a bunch of probably CEC issues where the TV randomly turns on or switches inputs.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Just got a slickdeals alert for the 65C9 from Buydig for $1725 and earlier there was one for a greentoe like site for the 55C9 for $1200.

So, to be clear, costco is probably not going to follow those nutty prices down during clearance season right?

They have the B9 for $1800 plus free square trade and $1000 cash card.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I got a refurbished S405 from TCL when mine had some trouble and there seems to be a tiny piece of dust between the LCD and the backlight. Any tips on how to get it out without breaking my tv?

It's bothering the hell out of me since it's right in the middle of the screen.

Not really.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Costco and Walmart have both had the 55" for $400 within the past couple months, so it definitely hits that price point. Wal-Mart has refurbished 6-series in 55" for just over $300 here but their refurbs are apparently a poor-odds crapshoot, so that could end up being more trouble than it's worth.

I hosed up not pulling the trigger on the 65" 6-series for $500 at Best Buy and Costco just before the Super Bowl. This is usually a good time of the year to buy because new models usually come out in April, but it's hard to know for sure, especially if stock is already low on clearance models.

It has been that same price on the website for some time now.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

All of these current Vizio devices have issues with turning on and off randomly. It’s super annoying. Had the PX for main TV and returned due to that issue and bought and returned a M quantum for use as basement TV just this week for it. Same drat thing.

A shame cause they are actually quite nice to look at aside from the blooming and only so so upscaling.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Thanks for the link. Sadly while Amazon do a lot of deliveries to Ireland they don't with some electronics and TV's are one of them.

I will try and see if any stores sell that Samsung.

I did come across this 60 inch LG for under 600. Is it any good?

It's the 60UM7100PLB.

https://powercity.ie/product/60UM7100

So I actually have had this TV for about a month - was about $400 US when I purchased from Costco. I don’t think it’s actually the same as the 7300 - from what I can tell it uses a VA panel which surprises me.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-60um7100plb.2243913/

Have actually found the color accuracy and PQ to be quite good once tweaked. It is not a blow you away type screen but overall been fairly happy. Not an amazing HDR TV but I prefer it over other low end TVs and it doesn’t have any of the issues of the Vizio M I returned for this so I’m pleased.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Listerine posted:

The Costco cx has a different model number, ends in AUA instead of PUA. Is that meaningful?

Usually the warehouse stores have subtle model number differences and they functionally mean nothing, or occasionally add features.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Any thoughts/experience on the LG A1 OLED? I am in the market for a 65" set, and WANT an OLED, but previously hadn't thought the value to be there because I have young kids and don't want to spend a lot for the living room TV (have been looking more in the 1000-1200 range) that they would smudge and push and whatnot. This is our main TV, so I don't want a stinker, but I also find it hard to justify the 1600-1800 to get into OLED territory.

But Costco has the 65" on sale and with a bonus shop card, and the 5 year warranty included making it ~1440 or so pre-tax. Are the A1 trade offs dealbreakers? Would this be worth the cost increase over the like, Sony X900H range at 999 for this size?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

wolrah posted:

The biggest difference compared to a C1 is that the A1 uses a gimped controller that doesn't support HDMI 2.1, 120Hz, or VRR. It also might be slightly less bright but reviews indicate you wouldn't notice unless you had them side by side.

I'd say if you don't care about high end gaming the A1 is fine.

There's also the online-only B1 that has 120Hz and partial VRR support, but I've never seen those be significantly cheaper than a C1 where it'd be worth caring about.

Yeah, this wouldn't be for gaming at all. Just TV and movies.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Contemplating the 65" X90J from Sony again now that it is back at the BF price at Costco (1200).

I want an OLED but not willing to splurge right now given kids and general idiocy in our living room.

Uses: Streaming Netflix/HBO/Dis+, YTTV for sports. No gaming on this set.

I have an annoying prediliction for color accurate displays so I favor that over most features. Blooming also annoys the poo poo out of me which Sony apparently is pretty good at handling? Source is a 4K Apple TV.

Any better options out there? Still struggling along on my 2011 LG that while it has its flaws, has good color.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

I should have just bought that A8H OLED last week. Sigh.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

The 65” Sony X90J/CJ is down to 1100 at Costco with extra warranty. Really tempting. I hear a lot about bugs with this set but we use an Apple TV anyway which I assume will mitigate it. Want OLED but can’t with kids leaving poo poo on.

Can’t see much out there that beats it for value/quality at around 1k for 65. Maybe the TCL 6 but I prefer a TV from Costco.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Just got a X90J delivered. Gorgeous PQ head on… but holy poo poo the reviews that criticized the viewing angle were spot on. I moved, like, a couch cushion over and it started to wash out. Even my wife who is not exactly likely to notice much in the way of fidelity (unlike me who is admittedly quite anal) criticized it without me saying anything.

Really a shame because I think the overall quality when you’re planted in the middle is pretty drat close to OLED for my money.

But I guess I have to hang up the attempts at VA panels. It’s either deal with a shittier IPS or bite the bullet and go to OLED which I don’t want to do with my kids who do not exactly baby the TV.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

I bought a 65” A1 OLED. It’s good! Especially at $1100 through Costco.

No, it isn’t eye searingly bright but it is plenty bright for our room and the viewing angles are incredible.

Unless you really need the extra brightness and gaming features of the C1, this feels like a steal compared to anything else at the price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

drat, this is tempting. What’s the biggest shortcoming of the A1 vs the C1? Is it that the A1 is only 60Hz, so it can’t do proper 24p playback?

60hz, less bright, no VRR.

I have one from Costco for that price and it is fantastic.