Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any word on Super Bowl sales? The tv we bought my sister for Christmas ended up being defective and she wanted something a little bigger so she returned it and has been waiting patiently for another sale. We're looking for something right around 40" and around $400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baby Proof posted:

I remember some decent 0% interest / no money down deals in previous years, but I wouldn't expect Black Friday prices. If you're willing to wait until after the Superbowl and hunt a little, it should be a good time for open-box deals.

On the other hand, there should already be plenty of options for 40" TVs around $400. What are your priorities? 3D? Smart? Picky about picture quality? Are budget TV input/output options OK?

Here you go - Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50 for $529 with $100 credit for Amazon purchases...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L42E50-42-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00752R9PK

She wants a name brand, 3d and smart don't matter. That Panasonic is nice but I don't know that she'll want to spend $100 more even if she does get it back in an Amazon credit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AzCoug posted:

How do you get rid of that??

Spend more money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AzCoug posted:

Not gonna happen. Paid good money for this TV. Isn't there a setting or something that can be adjusted?

No.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AzCoug posted:

So when buying a new TV what am I looking for or NOT looking for in order to ensure I don't get this same fancy "feature"?

Others can explain it better. Either buy plasma or spend more money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm a little out of touch with TVs these days, what are the best bang for the buck options in the 65" 4K neighborhood? I actually need it to fit in a 68" wide section of the wall so I'm not sure if a 70" would fit there or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

American McGay posted:

Depends on your budget. <$1000 = TCL R615, <$2000 = LG C8

Hmmm, budget isn't set in stone but that cheaper one is kind of calling my name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just got the 65” TCL there and it’s awwwwwesome. I have a few weird tiny quirks/issues with it as mentioned above but nothing that detracts from how much I like it. It’s a fantastic tv and I can’t believe it was only $800. If you want to know anything about it let me know.

Do you use it for gaming much? That's probably going to be the bulk of its use where I'll be directly in front of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Excellent. I'll probably head over to BB on Monday to check it out in person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm not recommending this television per se, but for reference purposes this 75" TCL is just under 66" wide. So if you're confident in your measurements you can get 33% more screen area in there compared to a 65" television.

That might be a bit insane for the space. My viewing distance isnt quite far enough to make that worthwhile either.

Maybe in the living room!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Question,

I was cross checking the TCL
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

on Amazon as I have $142 in gift card credit there. The search turned up this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0798B2L5H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oKs0CbR0S33M2

What's the real difference between them?

Edit: Between the 5 and 6 series I guess?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 7, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astro7x posted:

Just look at this comparison.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/tcl-r617-vs-tcl-s517/613/619?usage=7318&threshold=0.1

5 Series doesn't have local dimming due to an edge back light instead of full array. The Peak Brightness is also not at good as the 6 series, so you're not going to be able to see the beauty of HDR

Outstanding, thank you.

So one last dumb question, what's different between the 65R615 and the 65R617? The 5 being the Best Buy model and the 7 being the Amazon model. Just different numbers for different retailers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

The 617 has some voice control. That's it.

Oh I don't care about any of that.

So Best Buy has 24 months no interest so I guess I'll just buy it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay I may need to rethink this a bit.

My viewing distance is maybe 6 feet, going by the rtings site a 65" is going to be massive overkill. It looks like a 50" is optimal for my viewing distance, maybe a 55" max. As much as I dug that 65" TCL it's just way too big for how close to the tv I will be. This appears to be the 55" model of the suggest TCL, should I be aware of anything with this?

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55R617-5...ps%2C165&sr=8-3

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Get the 65”. I just got mine and often watch 6’ or closer and it’s awesome. For what it’s worth I’ve always found optimal viewing distance to be BS outside of extreme cases like 100” from 5’ away. Which honestly sounds awesome.

I mean, I WANT the 65 but I think we're going to do that one for the living room. For the space I think the 55 down here is the better option unless there's some major issue with the smaller size that I'm unaware of.

Edit: Service plans are still a waste of money right?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 11, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

65" is going to be pretty insane from 6ft away, IMHO, and not in a good way. 55" is the sweet spot where you can get a great screen for a great price so I'd just do that.

So I cut up an IKEA box to the approximate size of the screen and taped it to the wall, then sat where the recliner will be and 55" is definitely the perfect size for the distance so I pulled the trigger on the 55" TCL.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ha! It was a Brimness headboard box! You lose!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My TCL55R617 arrived today! It's beautiful!

I need to do the calibration but I was just super hype to get it out of the box. What other tests should I run to look for issues with the panel?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cool, I'll play some Xbox and watch a bunch of stupid poo poo on YouTube.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

crestfallen posted:

Don’t do this to yourself. Get it, set it up, maybe configure it a bit based on rtings recommendations, and then just watch what you normally watch. Don’t set out to find something wrong with it. If you go in with that attitude, you’re p much guaranteed to love it. That’s what I did and I’m sure I don’t have a perfect panel but I’ve only maaaybe noticed something odd 1 time. I love my TV.

It sounds like the 55" sets aren't having as many bad panel problems so I'm even happier with my choise now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My mother in law just gave us this

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40J5200-40-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00WR292JE

And this

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P46U1-46-Inch-Plasma/dp/B001UE6M9I/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Samsung is going in the wife's office, the Panasonic will see duty in the master.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This 10 year old plasma looks pretty good for a free tv. But it's 64 pounds and I don't want to put that on our IKEA dressers so I need a wall mount for this beast.

This has 26K review and 90% of them are 4/5, this should do the job yes?

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-ML...ps%2C157&sr=8-3

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

beep by grandpa posted:

I connect my laptop to my tv whenever it's on the vast majority of the time so when I get my oled I'm mostly worried about the task bar burning in

Why don't you just extend the screen instead of mirroring it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it looks to be correct.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Never reuse wall anchors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Motherfuckers. Not even a month after I buy one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The TCL 65 inch 6 series was $500 for like 45 minutes yesterday. My boss nabbed one when the price alert came up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amazon. He doesn't know if they are honoring it yet.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/the-65-inch-tcl-65r617-tv-hits-an-all-time-low-499/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My 55" TCL has a notch on the legs that prevents you from installing the legs backwards. Is that a new change?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless the legs are L and R specific and I missed it, my TV stand is half an inch narrower than the TV legs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Soni have a weird problem.

The wall where we want to mount our main TV contains a pocket door. Would you guys trust a swing arm style mount to hold a large TV up if it was going to be fully extended to one side at all times?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wouldn't. At my previous job my boss insisted we could hang a TV in just drywall, he used 16 anchors. We opened the store one morning to find it shattered on the floor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

My 55" TCL has a notch on the legs that prevents you from installing the legs backwards. Is that a new change?

So an update, if you wiggle the legs just a tiny bit they fit in with no problem. I don't know why they notched them to begin with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ablert Einstein posted:

TCL 65R617 $500 on Amazon right now

Mother loving hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I hadn't just dropped $300 on an emergency AC repair I'd have ordered that fucker. If it was Amazon and not a reseller I'd have been able to get their zero interest financing but alas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

beep by grandpa posted:

ooooof, I was thinking of getting the 65" TCL 6 series this week but after some more research but the width of its leg stands are 55.5" and the width of my tv stand is 51". sometimes I wonder if they started putting the legs that far apart just to force me to buy new stands :qq:

Is that where the feet rest or the width of the holes? I recently discovered you can still flip the legs inward despite the notches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are the TCL soundbars any good? I'm still using an all in one Sony system I bought almost 20 years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I just set the Roku app on the tv up, this is excellent!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FunOne posted:

Discounts on wall mounts and center post mounts on Amazon Deal of the Day today if anyone is shopping for one of those.

Thanks! The one I had on my list no less!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
86 fuckin inches.