Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I finally got mine working with Plex. It's pretty sweet but the configuration software runs on Silverlight and sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It uses the receiver built into the Mac mini that powers my plex server and runs plex home theatre on my main television. No pairing or anything.

I will say I've encountered some missed commands in various activities I've built, especially if I haven't used the remote in a while or everything is off but that's likely my fault or my old tv not accepting commands without me programming a delay. It feels like magic having the puck in my tv stand yet it working with all devices and the remote it comes with is slick and compact.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Ah, I understand. You have it controlling your Mac Mini which is running Plex. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook a tightly integrated Plex solution as I am in the process of retiring my HTPCs. I'm up to two Chromecasts and that new Roku stick is on its way. Having Plex running on my iMac (shares mounted from my NAS) has proven to be a very very successful way to play local media with minimal fuss.

I ordered the Logitech for $110 on Amazon, can't wait. Think it'll be a great solution but am concerned over where to put the blaster given that none of my stuff is in the media cabinet. Here is a shot of my set up, yes I have some cleaning up to do. If I have a plug in my drop ceiling (improbable, but possible) I'm thinking of setting it up up there and having clear view of everything, otherwise I can't think of a good out of the way place that my small children won't gently caress with it.

I don't know how it can be more tightly integrated than the Mac Mini in the cabinet with the blaster on top. You really don't need a keyboard as long as you set the NAS connection and everything else as startup items.

And yeah, my blaster is in a comparable location to the bottom shelf of your entertainment center. Hits my Soundbar, Mac mini, and Sharp TV easily. It's very powerful.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's your budget?

The new curved samsungs look great when turned off. I believe it's the u8500 series. I know this isn't the cheapest but you're asking about 80" lcds.

Speaking of... The 85" ultra hd 4k Samsung looks good too if you want to drop 40k :v:

sellouts fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 31, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mounting a tv isn't hard. Find any yelp reviewed handyman and they will come out and do it.

But figure out what you're going to do with the wires first before you call them so they can quote you accurately.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How close are you sitting to it? I bet you won't be able to notice a difference between 1080p and 720p on that small of a screen.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Neither light nor human vision works the way any thought process that would produce this comment would require them to. Most of those distance charts are garbage because they assume your eye works like, and maps cleanly to, the pixels on your LCD (which is such a flawed assumption that it is not even wrong) and discount the visual cortex's ability to resolve line thicknesses and angles far narrower/subtler than the distribution of photosensors on the retina suggests.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Thankfully, in my experience, when on a screen less than 40" I have absolutely no ability to tell the difference between my 1080p content and my 720p content.

Aphrodite posted:

Even so, matching the console's output and letting it do the work is better.

Fair enough.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

StickFigs posted:

Pulled the trigger on a used Spyder4Express. I figure the pro is probably just the same poo poo in a different box given how cheap camera and sensor technology is today. The price difference must be on account of the included software.

Can anyone confirm this being true?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

Availability probably depends on your location. Locally several shops still have ST60,GT60 and VT60 in stock. Deeply discounted too -20% from their already sharp prices last year.

Some shops even still have the panasonic 50 series in stock.

Where are you located?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My parents have a 60" 6300 series Samsung LCD and it's incredible how bad directv looks with compression.

I use antenna to get my tv (aside from streaming) and the difference between the two is pretty shocking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Phone posted:

I'm finding 60" and 65" Sharp TVs for around $1k, does anyone have feedback on Sharp sets?

My 42" sharp is still kicking 7 years later without a hitch.

I am not super sperg but it's been a terrific value.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am confused by vizio including a soundbar in their upcoming reference series. I just want a very good panel, I have sound stuff already figured out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

Sell the soundbar on Ebay. I picked one up to go with an old 60" plasma that was moving off the sound system to make way for a new TV, and holy poo poo it sounds amazingly good compared to the default speakers on the TV! Not as good as the setup I had, but Vizio makes a pretty good soundbar. I don't think you'd have a lot of trouble selling it, unless it has some sort of horrible proprietary interface with the TV.

It appears to be attached directly to the bottom of the set, between the panel and the mount. I don't know if you can just pull it off or use it on another type of panel (and if you could, why not sell a set without it?)

I'm invested in the Sonos ecosystem and I enjoy the sound and connectivity that comes from my sound bar.

Don Lapre posted:

drat. Their reference set has a full array backlight with 384 loving zones

Yeah dude. I'm sure it'll be too much money because it's UHD but I am very interested in how that performs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am curious about the oled from LG but the strong wording from their manual about IR and the complaints from the spergs at AVSForum kind of make me worry, and for that much money I don't want to worry.

Also it's curved and I'm really not sold on that yet.

I am afraid that I've missed the boat on great 1080 panels and most manufacturers are putting emphasis on their 4k sets.

How much did your calibration setup cost you? I would love to dig into that when I get a new set. Can you rent that sort of stuff from somewhere?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 12, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Vizio TVs are still budget TVs in the end. Even their high end models are not meant to be competing with Sony, Samsung, etc.'s top end stuff.

The point is that's not what they're going for with the reference series and it's a good thing when another competitor potentially enters that segment of the market.

Of course the lighting array doesn't make up for a sub par panel. And the inclusion of sound bar does worry me that it isn't all about the panel quality. But it's still something to keep an eye on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's a budget brand. If you're cool with that, awesome.

I don't buy anything anymore without many reviews, maybe I miss out on some deals but usually I feel like I miss out on wasting time with products I will personally be unhappy with.

Edit: is it this one? RCA LED55C55R120Q 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) by RCA http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0EUA2Y/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_IX27tb1NF7D6G

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

second-hand smegma posted:

I was looking for a goon recommendation, specifically for Vizio in the 38"- 42" range, sub $500. I'd like to pair it with a sound bar at some point and it looks like Vizio tvs output 5.1 through HDMI. Seeing as I don't have much space in my house, this seems like the optimal solution to my current setup (lovely 720p tv from 2006 + no surround).

Do the great goons out there have any experience with Vizio's in this range? Smart features are a plus though aren't required, but it'd be nice to have something to to hook a PS3/4 up to that doesn't make me toss lunch with SOE.

I'm pretty outdated in my tv knowledge and any help is appreciated, thanks.

This is a pretty narrow range. Vizios are nice budget TVs in that size. whatever the best price is grab it.

I don't understand your wiring for the soundbar though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Does a 2014 model year tv exist that doesn't have smart tv?

Does a good 2014 model year tv exist that doesn't have smart tv?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Just buy a TV and act like it doesn't exist.

Exactly. People should stop saying they don't need smart tv features. It won't save you a dollar and you're getting them anyways.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

If I had to buy a TV right now and I have $1500 to do it and I want it to be at least 60" what do I get.

A pretty nice, but not the best, 1080p set is what you end up with I bet. I am guessing a sony or a Samsung.

What, this isn't a riddle?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sonos soundbar will also work with any remote.

I am excited by these Vizio P-series -- Don Lapre please post impressions when you get it!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The 65" still wont support HDR. I think all of them are using 10 bit panels for the p series.

HDR is a backlighting thing, yeah?

Do you think it makes a lot of difference?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That doesn't answer my question really. What does any of that mean to my eyes?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Isn't that more of a function of the 10 bit panel being used?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'd go on Craigslist and snag a 40" samsung for that price. Should be plenty available.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Because I vastly prefer a 2-3 year old Samsung that was originally $800+ vs the basement $300 vizio panel.

If I was buying a TV today I'd get the Vizio P-series so I don't hate the brand, but I do find their cheap TVs suck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Welp only 14 more days to convince my wife

Edit: has anyone confirmed price matching? I have a feeling it being labeled as "Event price" means that they won't price match it.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 2, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

You should check out this thread on slickdeals. If anyone gets a price match it will be those rabid deal whores (because I'm one of them).

http://slickdeals.net/f/7306786-vizio-p602ui-b3-4k-60-hdtv-998-sams-club-on-11-15-reg-price-1699?v=1

Eh. I will probably try my luck online. I'm not waiting in line for a TV overnight at some Sam's club in torrance

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

With no deals in sight it seems like the Sams club Vizio p series is the best deal for a while. I wonder how quickly it'll go online.

Edit: I keep checking best buy for a plasma open box deal but no luck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bull and Don Lapre, can I ask why y'all haven't moved to a projector based setup? Is it just a space thing?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah. I hate how dark my living room apt is but maybe this is one way to use it to my benefit.

I'm sure my wife is going to shoot it down though!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That is incredible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah my friend just said he has ads on his VT60. He uses a receiver so the TV volume is irrelevant but there's one when he starts up. Insane.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

No one ever wished they had a smaller tv

you should meet my wife

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hutzpah posted:

I'm looking for a new tv this holiday season. 60"-65" and looking to spend around $1000.00. Any recommendations on what to look for with these requirements in mind? I've looked for black Friday and holiday sales but haven't found anything that stood out.

You missed the deal of the holidays with that 4k 60" Vizio P series for 998.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What do you mean a little wireless speaker by your head? What are you looking to accomplish there? 5.1?

Given your budget it sounds like you should buy a tv and a wireless headphone solution such as the sennheiser rs 160s or something.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ah. I thought you were asking for a TV recommendation as well.

I'd try the audio thread but I don't really understand why you'd mount a speaker behind you if it's only 8 feet to the TV. It's not that great of distance.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I picked up one of those from CL and it's perfectly fine for a cheap bedroom tv.

I would say it's good for video games but it's clear you've abandoned those :smith:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why aren't you getting a projector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

He means buy a receiver that has the inputs you need and outputs to your tv via 1 Hdmi, so input switching would be done at the receiver rather than the tv.

I believe even 200 dollar Yamahas will do this. And I think they will pass the audio through Hdmi out so you can use your tv speakers. But you should check your specific model.