Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Golbez posted:

Vizio M55-C2 55" is $850 on Amazon. Samsung UN55JS8500 is $1500. We're a Samsung house and I'm really trying to convince myself to leap on the Samsung to replace my dead Samsung but everything I'm hearing about the Vizio M, plus that price point, makes it difficult. Is there any reason whatsoever to aim towards the Samsung?

I've bought about 20 of the Samsung 7100 series TVs for conference rooms in the 50" and 75" sizes. I had to buy two Vizio M75s for a last minute thing and they are not even in the same ballpark. The Vizio is much heavier, substantially thicker, and the Samsungs have much better blacks. The inputs switch faster. The OSD is better (though I will say I don't love the Samsung remote).

Plus little stuff like the Vizio not being able to loop videos played off a thumb drive is maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Is there a "better" 3d technology? My mom's really into 3d movies and wants a new TV. The LG OLEDS come with the polarized glasses like you'd get in a movie theater. We were looking at the Samsung 7100 series and my understanding is it needs active battery-powered glasses. If the polarized tech is better, are there other panels that use the passive glasses we should be looking at?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The one connect seems to be a real problem for integrated systems. They don't sell different cord lengths and there's no way to extend them. I have a bunch of One Connect Minis on the 7000 series, and I double-sided velcro them to the back of the TV. They barely fit. The full size box will not fit at all, so you'd end up needing an AV shelf below the TV somewhere. That kinda sucks.

I wouldn't expect ANY upgrade potential given they won't even produce different length cords.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
$4 soundbar order just got canceled. Not even mad.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
:hf: PZ80U.

Mine's still kicking, but my cat has begun systematically destroying it in the last year by jumping up on it and missing, putting long claw marks through the anti glare coating.

Guess I need a thinner TV he can't stand on.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'm looking to mount a portrait-oriented display next to a landscape display for a commercial display. They need to be the same height/bezel design.

I can't make the math work for TVs and I'm not sure such a thing exists even in the commercial space. Anyone have any leads?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I got to visit Dolby HQ last week.

1) HDR is so drat cool. The TVs are bright enough that explosions can produce an involuntary eye response like being in a good cinema. It's nuts.

2) They do a demo of the Vizio 65" reference series next to a P series set. The P series is a good TV, so it's sorta depressing how much better the reference series was in a dark room. Much, much better local dimming.

Kinda cool to see where the tech is headed.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The R series is advertised at 800 nits. The blacks are phenomenal, as they should be: 384 dimming zones vs. <100 for the 2015 P series next to it.

Would be cool to see the new OLEDs side by side with it. The really top end LCDs actually lose to the OLEDs on price, which I struggle to understand without that side by side comparison. I'd still definitely be looking at the OLED models.

I don't think you can actually buy the R-Series anyways.

KS fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 13, 2016

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
e: I have no idea how I didn't see the answer already posted.

KS fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 30, 2016

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Sure looks like it's limited to 3840x2160 at 30 or 4096x2160 at 24 according to that link.

Displayport to HDMI 2.0 cables didn't exist forever but it appears there are a bunch on Amazon now:
https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQCUGW?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-HDMI-2-0a-Active-Adapter/dp/B01B6ZOMIS/ref=pd_cp_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1N9K7WHEHBC0N11ZQD8R

Your thunderbolt ports are mini displayports.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

xgalaxy posted:

Local video store is selling the LG B6 OLED 65" for $2749 w/ extended 5 yr warranty and 3 years 0% interest.
Should I pull the trigger or gamble and see if it goes lower once the B7 hits the market?

It's been as low as 2300 and change from reputable places, so that's not a terrible deal with the warranty, but not the best. For reference, Costco sells a 3 year squaretrade warranty for $90. Lots of people also using credit card price protection to "price match" the scammy places like East Coast TV to cut more off the price.

Right now people have had good luck with the IElectrica seller on Ebay -- the TV is $2300 from them.

I've found this deal thread really useful.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I have ~20 samsung TVs in conference rooms with the OneConnect box and did have one go bad.

Make them get it to you within B&H's return window to keep your options open. It's definitely cheaper for everyone if they can just replace the box, so they should agree.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Short notes on the LG 2016 models. All are 4k. Widely considered to have the same picture quality and all support HDR. All 3 come in 55" and 65"

B series: flat.
C series: curved, 3d capable
E series: flat, 3d capable, thinner.

Part numbers are OLEDXXY6P where XX = size and Y = B,C,or E.

There's also a G series but it's super pricey.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You lose HDR on the E-series, don't you? I'd say that's a big loss.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The X900E is only $100 more at 55" and a much better TV.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
X900F 55" is already out at $1500 -- like you can order it on Amazon right now with 1-day shipping. The other sizes are coming soon.

X900E 55" cheapest price was $998 -- Black Friday and pre-Super Bowl.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Probably. They're not sitting on huge surpluses of older models, and they still cost the same to make. They fell to Black Friday prices, but really haven't gone lower.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
This year's 8 series innovation (for C8 and up, not B8) is supposed to be a much better motion processing chip to bring it equal to the Sony OLEDs.

You're right that the B7 and C7 are virtually the same.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

FistEnergy posted:

idiotic super wide feet

Sony moved to wide feet as well this year. It fits soundbars better. I agree it's frustrating if you're trying to put it on a narrower stand.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Ultimate Mango posted:

The Panasonic plasma at my house is on 12-16 hours a day.

Probably a $250/year difference in power usage alone between that and an OLED, so you'd probably break even before you see burn-in.

I started noticing image retention on my plasma recently -- especially during winter. Heart display from BOTW was visible for a few hours. I chalked it up to it getting older.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Consider https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548 instead.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The series 6 should work fine with the Xbox One X -- I don't know of anything that supports DV that wouldn't support HDR10 as well. You need to check settings / try restarting the TV.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Yup, defaultluser's argument makes zero sense. You can easily get >1080P detail out of 35mm. It's when movies started being mastered at 1080P with digital cameras that 4k conversions became pointless.

The Matrix is a really great example -- the 4k disc is a new scan of the 35mm print and it has crazy more detail. But it holds true for a bunch of 80s movies as well.

>Aliens, Back to the Future, and Lethal Weapon 1-3

None of these have been released in 4k yet.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
X900F 85 is actually on Massdrop right now for $4200, for what it's worth.

The 77" C8 OLED has gone as low as $4600.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

PokeJoe posted:

I want a new TV for my living room for under 800, what's good at that price point? I checked out a few of the display models at Costco but I don't know what really makes a TV worth 500 more than another same sized the or whatever.

Check out the TCL 6 series. 55R615/65R615 at Best Buy for $599/$799. 55R617/65R617 elsewhere with a voice remote.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's so sound bars fit, but yeah, I hate them. Reposting from last page: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=universal+vesa+stand

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Saw it as low as 1899 on BF and 1999/2199 are common. Not a trick or an error.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Ammanas posted:

wow i clearly was not looking close enough. costco, bhphoto, bestbuy and Amazon all were at $2599

If you're in the market, the best deals are usually from firstclasstv or a handful of other sellers via Ebay, with no tax in most states. There's an E8P 65 for 2149 right now. Can also call Cleveland Plasma.

$2299 on Massdrop ending in 9 hours, which is odd, because their last drop a week ago was for 2199. The next super good prices will probably be right before the Super Bowl.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It'll drop again right before the super bowl. Slickdeals typically shows the best deals. The 65 was as low as 1899 and 1999/2199 were fairly common. The 55s were as low as 1399.

You will not be disappointed.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I don't think Samsung price/perf is usually there, but I'm tempted by the q9fn that does VRR, especially now that Nvidia cards should work with them. $2k cheaper than the BFGD and available now.

Pretty cool that the HP BFGD has an Ambilight style backlight, though.

Would receivers need to support VRR or would they just pass it through?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Kithyen posted:

Anybody have an experience with the Vizio P series? It came up as a higher rated tv when I was looking at RTings review of the TCL 6 series. It generally hovers about an extra 150-170 dollars above the TCL 6 and was wondering if its worth it or if TCL is more recommended at this price point. (Comparing 65 inch ones.)

I don't think it's worth the extra $$$. Few picture quality differences, Roku interface is probably better, and the lack of TV tuner is a bummer for some usage. P-Series Quantum, on the other hand, is a big step up.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

codo27 posted:

The 850 is great if you can't afford the 900, or another step up to OLED. To simplify this entire thread:
Budget: TCL
Midrange: Sony 850/900
Top: LG OLED

Pretty sure the 850 is in fact garbage as it's the only IPS display in their lineup. Specifically the 75".

e: "fatally flawed" https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/05/23/sony-x850f-tv-review-fatally-flawed/#44dd7b7a174f

At that price point the 75 TCL 6 series should be better in every way.

More accurate:
Budget: TCL 6 series
Midrange: Sony 900F
Top: LG OLED C series or higher.

KS fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 5, 2019

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I ended up with the LG UBK90 just because the Sony makes you manually toggle Dolby Vision. I've been happy with it. It was down around the $150 mark at Black Friday and has spent a lot of time at $180.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
2019 LG OLEDs appear to be in stock most places.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'd totally stick with the 65 rather than a pair of 55s. The TCL 6 series is a pretty excellent 2nd TV. The x900 comes in a 49" if you need a smaller model.

Certainly wouldn't downgrade to the B8.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Laserface posted:

LG: letter is the spec level, number is the year model (9 is this year/latest)

the only diff between C8 and B8 is the C8 has better internal speakers.

all other specs are exactly the same between the C and B. the E8 is the only one that is better spec'd.

This is wrong. The B8 didn't get the new processor that the C8/E8/W8 got.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

wolrah posted:

I thought the different processor thing was new for the 2018 models, and that in previous years the functional differences were limited to the built in speakers.

True -- B7/C7 were identical.

B9/C9 have different processors as well.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
65 B8 $1449 in cart after discount and promo code.

New record low?

I'd stick to the C series+ but still a notable deal.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Service plans are still a waste of money right?

If you're a Costco member, Costco sells a Squaretrade warranty -- $99 for 4 years -- that's pretty popular. Need to buy it within 60 days of the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
77" C8 $4k.

KS fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 13, 2019