Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

toplitzin posted:

So I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger, but am torn between the two technologies:

Panasonic VIERA TC-L55E50 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD for $750 via Warehouse Deals

OR

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 50-Inch 1080p Full HD Plasma TV for $650 via warehouse deals. (gently caress me the price swung back up again, Oh Amazon...... it was $550 yesterday)

Any thoughts one way or the other?

The 50u50 (and others) are super cheap on Panasonics website if you can use EPP. $475 with free shipping. You can search google or slickdeals for how to get into EPP if you're not already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Best? Gonna have to specify size or quality.

toplitzin posted:

Will I really miss 5 inches?

Hard to say. But it's not really "5 inches" it's 21% more area: http://www.displaywars.com/50-inch-16x9-vs-55-inch-16x9

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 17, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Samsung UN40ES6100 used from Amazon Warehouse maybe? $566.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Fry's has the LG 60PA5500 60" plasma for $699. Pick up only.

http://www.frys.com/product/7062581

It's pretty bare bones, but it's a loving 60" tv for $699. If only there were a Frys within 500 miles of me.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The Vizio E601i-A3 is $700 on amazon warehouse. That's almost as cheap as the crazy Black Friday deal. However, you only get a 30 day warranty with amazon warehouse items, and I've been seeing a lot of complaints of the tvs just straight up dying.

They have it new for $888.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

This looks like a really great deal and tv. I'll probably go with this next week. My only concern is it said the refresh rate was 120 hz "with smooth motion". Am i just reading that wrong or is that the normal process with refresh rates? Ideally I'd love something with 240 but I'm pretty sure I'd have to spend over $1200 for it.

EDIT: After some more digging, I might go with a 55" Samsung instead. I found a good amount of negative reviews for the vizio set and almost all were the same problem (dying set/no picture within 60 days of purchase). What do you guys think I should do? I've always been happy with Vizio products but I don't want to get this then have to deal with customer support if it craps out right away.

Most of the problems with dying TVs seem to be centered on a few serial numbers, namely those that are 46 and under. Much less reported problems with more recent batches of the TV. There was also an issue of lip sync problems which has supposedly been fixed with a recent firmware update.

Those who's TVs haven't broken seem to love it. Good picture, good black levels for an cheap LED. Bad viewing angles some say.

Buying from Amazon warehouse seems risky on this TV (Though they do have some for $691 now) with only 30 days for return. I've read mixed reviews about squaretrade warranties.

You can pick one up at Target with 5% off coupon, and 5% off if you use a redcard, and then you would at least have a local place to return it if it dies within the return period (otherwise 1 year warranty from Vizio should replace it). They might let you check serial numbers before you buy. Other options are buying at Costco, which has a 90 day no questions asked return policy, and extends the manufacturer warranty by a year. They should have a stack of them just sitting out so you can look at the serial numbers.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I pulled the trigger on the 60" Vizio. $840 after tax with amazon price match, 5% off coupon and 5% off for red card.

Picture looks pretty good... just crossing my fingers for no black screen of death. I made them look at all the serial numbers to get a newer one, hopefully that works out.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

Costco has the 64" Samsung PN64E533D2 plasma for 1049.

That seems like a crazy good price. I guess it's an older model because it's not listed at a lot of places, but the cheapest prices I can find referenced is like $1250.

Seems like your basic Plasma, 2 hdmi, glossy screen.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Frys has the Panasonic Viera 60U50 for $699 shipped. http://www.frys.com/product/7326984

That matches their best price ever.

Free shipping may turn to pick up only very soon. Pick up only now.

I was basically waiting for this to happen so I could grab one, but I got impatient and picked up the Vizio E601 locally instead. This is about $150 cheaper than what I paid, considering no tax for me from Frys. Oh well.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 1, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

Edit: Nevermind I read that backwards thinking you were suggesting someone to buy them with 46 or higher, not avoid.

No, you had it right? Every reported serial number that has had BSOD (that I have seen) has been between 38 and 46 inclusive. The serial number referenced is the first two numbers after a string of letters, so LFHGHHD4293994 is a "42" and so on. It is speculated that Sharp offloaded a bad batch of panels to Vizio, and those are it. They seem to die within about 2 months.

I bought at Target and had them look through the serial numbers to get me a 51. My TV is great so far, but most people who had BSOD reported that their TV was fine up until the point it died. The serial number thing may or may not be voodoo. It could just be that the newer serial numbers haven't had enough time in the wild to display the same problems. There is a rumor that Costco is sending back all units between 38 and 48 to the factory though. 51 is the highest SN i've seen reported, they may be wrapping around to 01 and up now.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 5, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Kuhmondo posted:

The problem with this is that there are very few options in terms of TVs that are 37-40 while being 1080p that are under $450(which is my budget).

Really? It seems to me that $400 is right around the price point for a lot of 40" 1080p tvs, other than high end samsungs and sonys. For example, 42" LG 3D 1080p, $429 (was just $399 a couple days ago): http://www.frys.com/product/7506206

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Vizio released a statement acknowledging the problems with the e601-a3: https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/962/kw/special%20bulletin

Basically, yes there was a problem with serial numbers 38 to 48, and they are extending the warranty by a year.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Boz0r posted:

Is it impossible to get a great TV without having to pay for SMART features and 3D and such?

Depends on how you define a "great" tv. Almost all high end new TVs are going to have them because it's expected now of a high end tv. As of it ceasing production late last year, you could still get something like the Panasonic U50 plasma series, which had great picture and no smart features or 3D, and was a few hundred less than the UT50 which was the exact same TV but with those features. One of the problems with both of those TVs though is they lack the special anti-glare and extra brightness features of the higher end models, which you can't get without 3D because they are high end models. More and more though you don't see that kind of segmentation in the product line, and it's arguable whether or not you are "paying for" 3D and Smart features for any given model because the costs of research and implementation of those things are kind of already done and expected to be included in prices across the board.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
LG 60PA5500 60" Class Plasma $699 AR free shipping

I hate mail in rebates, but here you go: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3974452&CatId=3652

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Mindfish posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Samsung UE55ES8000? Picture quality, speed etc.?

From what I hear, Samsung went overboard on ergonomics and crazy features like a built in camera that does motion sensing, but ultimately doesn't justify the high price for the picture quality.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

CaseFace McGee posted:

Very helpful tips so far in this thread. I've been looking for a TV in the 42" range for around $800.

I'm initially inclined to avoid a plasma set and have focused more on LEDs, but I see burn-in is supposed to be less of an issue with newer plasmas.

I'm not sure they even make plasmas under 50" anymore, and sometimes those are 720p. There should be tons of great options for a 42" tv for $800. $800 is what I just spent for a 60" tv (with Wifi and Smart features).

I agree with BrettRob actually, that Panasonic should be pretty good.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 15, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

SuperNuts posted:

I have $400 to spend. That's a pretty hard limit, maaaaaaaaybe +$50 or so if the deal is sweet enough. Can anyone recommend a nice 720p or above TV for this price? As big as I can get of course. 3d doesn't really matter to me.. will probably hook an xbox up to it and it'll also be used to stream videos from my media PC.

Preferably one that doesn't poo poo out like my last TV did about a week after the warranty expired. (I think it was a Panasonic but not sure)

Can't speak for the quality or longevity (probably not that great) but in terms of price for size: http://www.target.com/p/westinghouse-50-class-1080p-60hz-led-hdtv-black-ew50t1xw/-/A-14161385#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

Check your local store because it's supposedly on clearance for as low as $299 (select stores, only if still in stock).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
My HDMI cable cost me a dollar. She paid 80x markup. With HDMI, unless it is physically defective, it works at 100%, there is no signal degradation or anything. If you were putting a really long run through a wall you might want a sturdier cable, but for going from tr cable box to the TV the cheapest one that works is fine.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 7, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine that a $3500 tv is noticeably different than a $2000 tv most of the time.

I guess if you get a 70" in Canada and taxes it can push that.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 19, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I bought about six months ago for $800 (plus tax) and I have been very satisfied with it: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377557165&sr=8-1&keywords=vizio+a601ia3

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

So this 60" Vizio is going on sale at Sam's tonight for $678. I think I'm going to do it if no one has any horror stories. It looked pretty great in the store.

This set had problems with a range of serial numbers that would just die after a month, but they would replace it of that happened. If you weren't in that serial number range you were fine (and they are way past that now). Some people also reported audiosyncing issues.

I bought this tv last year, specially asked the clerk to get me a post issue serial number, and it's been great. I have noticed any judder issues like the other guy is talking about.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

The Milkman posted:

I was just looking at the 60" model of that but if the 55" could be had for less than half the price.. (unless the 60 goes down too)

The 60" is 688 on black friday at Walmart. Amazon will likely also do a lightning deal for that price too.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
My dad's 46" Samsung just died (first it developed many dead pixel lines across the top, then completely dead screen). It is out of warranty. Assuming that this is not fixable for a price approaching just getting a new TV, I was thinking about getting him a new one for Christmas.

I have been very happy with my 60" Vizio E601i-A3 I got 2 years ago, so I'm looking at a 50 or 55" Vizio E or M series for him. Is there anything I should know about these before I get one? The 49" M is $598 on Amazon, the 55 is $779 with prime. The 50" E is only $479 with Prime.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 15, 2014

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I went to pick up a Vizio e550 for $650 and ended up grabbing the Samsung un55h7150 for $999. As a bonus, their POS system was overloaded and I got it for no tax.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
They have different types of panels. The Samsung is edge lit, and the Vizio is full-array IPS. Saying that makes it sound like the Vizio is better but that's not necessarily the case.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/m-series
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h6350

Note also you should look in the comments about the Samsung "panel lottery." If you get an "A" panel code that's the cheap chinese panel, if you get the "W" one that's a Samsung panel.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 16, 2015

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Puddin posted:

People say extended warranties are useless, but I've just had a tv crap out 2 years outside of manufacturers warranty this week and am now getting a new tv up to the value of the old one of my choice.

It's not that any given warranty is useless, it's that on average with the money you saved by not buying warranties (assuming you buy a warranty for every tv) over time you could have just bought a new TV. If you just purchased one warranty for this one item, then you got lucky/unlucky depending on how you look at it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So my 2 year old Vizio E601-A3 just today started making a horrible high pitched noise and then turning itself off. You can turn it on again right away but after 5-20 minutes it will do it again. The Internet has me believing that I can replace the power supply board and it will probably fix it, does that sound right?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I want to mount a TV behind my computer monitors on my desk (which is against a wall), but be able to pull it out in front of my monitors when in use. Basically I want it to sit on the desk, and then be able to move up, forward, and then back down again (where it can still mostly sit on the desk). Do they make a mount/arm capable of this that isn't stupid expensive?

Maybe a normal arm (side/swivel motion) mounted sideways?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 30, 2015

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Elysium posted:

So my 2 year old Vizio E601-A3 just today started making a horrible high pitched noise and then turning itself off. You can turn it on again right away but after 5-20 minutes it will do it again. The Internet has me believing that I can replace the power supply board and it will probably fix it, does that sound right?

So I ordered a new power board. We plugged it in a pressed the on button... nothing. Then we noticed the ribbon for the power button came out. So we plugged it in and pressed the on button and... backlight, but nothing else. No vizio logo on bootup, no other screen graphics. Made sure all the connections were solid but same result. Put the old power board back in. Boots up right away, full picture. Lasted several hours before it turned itself off again.

So I guess I'll just return the power board for another one and try again...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
6k is like a pretty solid start on a home theater room, not what you spend on just a tv. (Yes I know they can also be super expensive)

Elysium fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 16, 2016

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

Doesn't anyone buy smaller TV's for bedrooms? It seems kind of nuts that there's a jump from 32" to 40".

Being in my bedroom doesn't make me want a smaller TV. I'm looking for a 50"...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

mediaphage posted:

How big is your tv?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeywxkBpMB0

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Tempted to pick up this 55" KS8000 for $729 (Samsung EPP pricing)... someone convince me not to.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So in unrelated news, I just picked up a cheap OTA antenna, tried hooking it up and it appears that my coax input is simply not working. Tested antenna on another tv and it worked. Am I just out of luck? I tried searching for other people with non working dtv/antenna inputs and either no one in the world has this problem or it's just impossible to google.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It's a 4 year old Vizio E series

It seems maybe I could buy something like this, connect it to the antenna, and then go HDMI to the TV?

https://www.amazon.com/Edal-Receive...l+converter+box

Elysium fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 1, 2016

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I ordered the KS8000 direct from Samsung, and it was supposed to be delivered on Saturday. After they missed the scheduled delivery the status switched to "Pending" and there is no new scheduled delivery time. I'm guessing it got damaged or stolen at the receiving facility and they are waiting for a new one...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

lite_sleepr posted:

Or it was never accurate

Well sure, but it was shipping from in-state, and made it to the destination facility (to be put on the truck to be out for delivery) within a day, and it's been several days now without even updating the status past "pending." All they have to do is put it on the truck and drive it 20 minutes, if it's there and not damaged.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like a pretty fair sized room that warrants big tv. As with any tv, even if it seems big at first you will get used to it after a few weeks and think to yourself you should have gone bigger. With thin bezel tvs now hey seem even smaller than a same size tv of old. I have a 55" KS8000 in a fairly small room and I don't think I would even describe it as a "big" tv now.

That stand seems fine and the speakers seem fine where they are or I'm sure you can come up with a creative solution. Only reason I wouldn't do it is if money was the huge issue.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 23, 2017

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Dogen posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50KU6300-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01E69VEE6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485446926&sr=8-4&keywords=ku6300

Go smaller if you want cheaper. It has a plex app built in, you can hook to plex server on your computer to watch media off your computer. I would not buy a cheaper LCD than this.

Uh, that doesn't seem like a particularly good deal... the 55" is cheaper...

I know he said 50" for the space he has but it still doesn't seem like a good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
A 40" is what I would put in my guest room, and apologize for it to guests. "Yes, there is a tv, but it's only 40 inches, I'm sure it will do for tonight, sorry."