Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
I've been out of the TV game for quite a while (my current TV is a 40" Samsung from like 2009). However, I'm looking to buy a new TV for my Dad's birthday.

I don't need a 4k set, and I don't need 3D either, which is great since I know these will save me many bux. I'm looking for a 55", 1080p TV, and 120Hz would be a nice bonus. Last I heard, Sony was using Samsung panel parts now, so it seems like I should just stick with Samsung? Vizio seems like a legit contender as well, though when I first looked into them (granted, years ago), they didn't seem that great. Are they better now? I generally know which brands to stick with (LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo), but again being out of the TV game so long, maybe that's changed?

Thanks for any and all help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

What's your budget? The best 1080p TV out is any of the 55" LG OLED sets, if you have the money.

LCD or LED is more than fine, my budget is <=$500. However, just for funsies, I decided to check out what's out there: https://smile.amazon.com/LG-55EG9100-Curved-55-Inch-1080p/dp/B0148OZNKK/ref=sr_1_3?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1470715987&sr=1-3&keywords=lg+oled - This is last years model, but I paid $1600 in 2008 for my 40" LCD Samsung (I know I said 2009 before, and that's because the 2008 model broke, so Samsung hooked me up with the 2009 model). This blows the gently caress out of my mind. gently caress, I'm old, or something :(.

BottleKnight posted:

The only problem with wanting a 1080p set is that a lot of the best sets that have the best features are 4K, so when you buy a 4K set you are often getting a lot more than just the resolution.

That being said, the 2015 E-series seems to be pretty good, especially for the money. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-55-class-54-6-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/4859001.p?skuId=4859001

Can you elaborate? I mean honestly, right now my parents are using a Blu-ray player on a loving 32" CRT. I just want to get them something so their Blu-ray player is actually useful. They don't need all the bells and whistles that would come with a 4K TV...but maybe I'm missing something?

Awesome, that looks like a great contender. Thank you much!

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe
How is Vizio these days? I've been out of the TV game for too long, but back around 2010 they seemed to be kind of meh. I'm reading around these internet parts that Vizio is becoming king of TV, so I was wondering what goons think?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the responses, y'all!

Well that's loving sweet then, I'll start looking at Vizios over Samsungs. Samsung has been pissing me off as a whole. Though to be honest, my current HDTV is a 40" Samsung that is still going strong from 2009. I originally got this fucker in 2008: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U9ZCQS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1, then a white line developed in the middle of it. Called Samsung, which was a crazy debacle in of itself, but they finally replaced that 2008 model with the 2009 model. That TV cost me $1600 back then. I was looking at Vizio's yesterday and saw I could get a 65" 4k TV for the same price as I paid in 2008 (I guess cheaper technically due to inflation), but wasn't sure how Vizios are these days.

Thanks again!

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been thinking about upgrading my 2009 40" Samsung HDTV. It's still working great, but I want something bigger for my living room.

Is there a such thing as a 4K TV that doesn't have SmartTV functionality? I could not give less of a poo poo about that, I don't care for it or would ever use it since I have all those capabilities via Chromecast or Apple TV or other means.

In fact, I honestly don't care for 4K either. Maybe I'm an old gently caress, but 1080p is still gorgeous to me. I'm only asking about 4K since it seems like 1080p TVs have bit the dust. But, I guess future proofing isn't a bad thing either.

So yeah, ideally, I'd like a nice TV without any bullshit SmartTV functionality. Contrast ratio, reproduction of colors, etc matter more to me than any of that other superfluous bullshit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

No.

Just don't use it.

Well, another concern is security. I don't trust TV manufacturers to patch up their software in a timely manner. The fact I even have to worry about this is absurd. I just want a drat TV that displays a fuckin picture without extra bullshit.

But on that note, thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any thoughts on the TCL 55P607? Seems to strike a balance between nice and affordable but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thank you, sir. Cool beans!