Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Just got a Vizio E550i-B2 today from Amazon, and I've been playing with it for the past few hours. I really love this TV, the picture quality is great, the bezel is tiny and it's surprisingly light at 33 lbs. For $678 this is a pretty awesome set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You guys game on these? If so, can you comment on the input lag?

Nothing discernible, but I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to small amounts of input lag. Been watching mostly Netflix off my PC on it, and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable delay in the audio/video syncing.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You guys game on these? If so, can you comment on the input lag?

So I spent ~6 hours playing the new infamous on my set, and it controlled pretty great. Looks fantastic too. It's not exactly a twitch shooter if you're looking to play those, but it works great for what I've been using it for.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Realistically, is there a discernible difference between 1080p and 4K?

I have a retina MBP (2880x1800) and i completely get it when used for text or game graphics, but it doesn't seem like HD video would be that different. Am I wrong? Is there a place to A/B HD/4K?

It's literally 4 times the resolution. It's quite noticeable on a larger display. If you have a best buy, mine had a display set up with actual 4k content and it looked AMAZING.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

oh snap posted:

It's more than that right? 4 times the horizontal resolution and also the vertical I'm assuming? 16x more pixels

No, 4k is 4k horizontal resolution (well not exactly but close) vs. 1920. It's 4 times the pixels.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Any more opinions on this? I need a 1080 set to replace a 9 year old 720p Aquos for some gaming, and the 48 inch version of this Vizio looks good price-wise. Any other suggestions maybe?

If you're asking me, I'm still loving this TV. Awesome picture quality, really really in depth calibration settings, very light and thin.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've narrowed my choices down to Samsung's 46" EH5000, EH5300, F5000 ,and F5500 models due to price, input lag, and viewing angle (this research prompted me to actually measure the angle in which I play console games: 24 degrees, knocking the Vizios out of my selection). One of my concerns is if I want a smart TV. I have an HTPC I usually use to watch stuff on my TV, and I don't have or really plan to have Netflix or other streaming options. What advantages does a smart TV bring? Also, does model year matter than much when comparing for quality? The EH models are 2012 and the F are 2013 and I'd rather a cheaper 2012 if there is not noticeably worse picture quality.

I don't know if it's just the small ones but I game at 30-45° just fine on my vizio.

Smart TVs have poo poo like Netflix built in. If you have an HTPC it's useless IMO.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

If I am not being rude, I would like to ask for suggestions on a decent sized TV for gaming, under $1k,preferably around $500

I'm pretty fond of my new Vizio E550i-B2. Not sure what the smaller ones cost, but amazon has them too.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Trisk posted:

I just bought a E550i-B2 so I'll see how it is, arriving on Wednesday from Amazon. I'm not a real big image quality nerd and I'm not playing games on it, just occasional TV/Movies so I think I'll be happy with it. On that note has anyone bought from Amazon before? I set an appointment during the order process but it says "Action required from customer" and I'm worried I need to do something else for them to confirm the delivery time.

I ordered the same one from amazon, CEVA was my local area logistics company that brought it to me, they called me to schedule a time. And you'll definitely love the TV.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

matrim1985 posted:

I have seen digital DVI send sound. It was a DVI to HDMI cable however.

Was it from a computer video card DVI to HDMI on a TV? Because that's totally different.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Just replace that with your own HDMI plate from home depot.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If you are gonna use Netflix and streaming stuff like Plex from a PC get a roku. Chromecast is neat but not nearly as great as a roku.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Seconding that, I loving love mine. Had it a month now and it's fantastic.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

StickFigs posted:

The few reviews I can find for this aren't happy with the picture quality and the input lag is pretty high at 40ms...

I'd rather stay away from Vizio.

The model is a month old, don't put stock in reviews. The TV is incredible.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I bought one about a month ago and absolutely love it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I paid $679 for mine so $699 is decent.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The e series has 12 and 16 depending on size I believe. I know 55" has 12 and some other size has 16.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
There's probably nothing even close to the price/quality ratio on the e550i-b2. It is a pretty fantastic TV for the price.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Vizio e550i-b2 is a good 55" smart TV for $700.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mill Village posted:

I think the first two TVs would be considered mid-range televisions, while the Sony is a top of the line TV. It does have deinterlacing features for 480i games as well. It does cost quite a bit more then the other TVs, though.

Every HDTV has deinterlacing for interlaced images. You don't want 'image enhancement features' they will make your picture look worse and introduce a lot of input lag.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Wilford Cutlery posted:

625 should get you more TV than that. Does Best Buy still have that 55" Vizio for 700?

That's just the price, it should cost that everywhere.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Forbin5 posted:

Samsung blows Vizio out of the mater meng.

Used to maybe. For 99.99% of people out there the Vizio is a way better deal unless your e-penis gets smaller because your color reproduction is 2 degrees off.

And none of that has anything to do with my post you quoted.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

The 6000 is 120Hz but not 3D, so that's useless unless you like the soap opera effect.

Or you know watch bluray.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Don't use store displays as any sort of metric.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ouhei posted:

I currently have a 40" Insignia 720p plasma (which I'm 95% sure is a rebranded Samsung panel) and I'm looking to upgrade in the fall, I want to move up to 1080p and I'd like to get a Panasonic so utilize VIERA link on the sound system I picked up late last year. I was looking at this: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-50AS530U

Which seems like a pretty good deal, not high end for sure but 120hz rate, 1080p and LED?

I'll be using it for mostly Hulu/Netflix and PS4 gaming.

Pretty sure viera link is just their name for hdmi-cec.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The bezel is ~1cm thick on my e550i-b2 so it's pretty stupid to care if it's glossy or not I can barely notice it even exists fr 10' away.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

and I thought that perhaps a 120hz model would help avoid the stuttering that can happen with gaming systems.

That's because consoles are not very powerful and a TV won't fix that.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

The 360 has a much better scaler than the PS3.

If he has a 720p TV the scaler isn't being used.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Not necessarily, sub 720p was very common last gen.

TLoU was native 720p on ps3

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You could easily use the 2014 Vizio E series without ever even knowing it has Smart TV features.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Flint_Paper posted:

After eight years, I finally bought a new TV. Got a lovely Sony Bravia KDL50W829B and it looks ace, however it occasionally gets locked in a reboot cycle. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Being broken and needing replaced immediately.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

You realize you can ignore the UI on pretty much every tv. And you arnt going to avoid speakers except in a professional display monitor, but speakers now are pretty much hidden in new tvs

On my 4k vizio, i just never went into the smart part. On my samsung plasma, i just never go into the smart part. Magic!

Yeah my Vizio doesn't have visible speakers, and the built in ones aren't half bad for just watching TV.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

aBagorn posted:

Speaking of Vizios, at the 55-60" range, what's the comparison like between the E and M series?

If I can get away with getting an E and putting the difference towards a nice soundbar/sound system I will.

The 55" e series (e550i-b2) is a great TV unless you're super sperg about the best possible calibrated nerd video quality poo poo.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Actually one thing the M does have over the E. The M is a true 120hz panel which means it can properly display 24p content. The E is a 60hz panel.

The E is completely capable of displaying at 24hz.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Playing 24hz content is different from doing it properly. It has to do 3:2 pulldown since 60 is not divisible by 24. You need a 120hz LCD or higher for proper 24p playback.

It's capable of entering an actual 24hz refresh rate mode though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Man, I really liked what I've read about the Vizio E420i-B0 and was close to purchasing it. Then I read about how its 120 hz mode is a big lie and won't help with 24fps content.

Bleh. The main reason I'm considering a new set is I just can't handle the 2:3 pulldown anymore.

Just pointing this out for anyone else considering the set.

Oh hey look I was right, the E550i-B2 handles 24hz content properly just like I said.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

the nicker posted:

Is it called something weird? Or is it just so ubiquitous now that they don't even list it as a feature? I can't find it in the specs (looking at samsung H7150 atm)

It's been a standard feature for ages now.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus that's ridiculous. That would have to be free before I'd even consider it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Man, I'm sitting here watching Preacher S2 on my C6 from Vudu and goddamn it looks almost HDR at times. All of the bright lights in New Orleans I swear extend beyond SDR range at times.

This TV is really too good to waste on compressed CATV feeds. I'm glad I made the decision to buy most of my content from Vudu.

Thanks for reminding me to start watching this, loved the books.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

If there's a Dolby Cinema in your area I highly recommend it. Totally worth the extra $3.

Oh man, there's one of these 15 minutes way, I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Sphyre posted:

The inbuilt LG DLNA video player, the WebOS plex client is pretty bad :v:

I noticed this too, doesn't even support HDR, built in player does. Pretty pathetic.