Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I replaced the XL2500 lamp in my TV. I've done this twice before, can't believe its 6 years old. Anyway, this time, instead of replacing the whole housing unit, I replaced just the bulb. I noticed there is a lens in the housing that seemed to have some surface discoloration. Is this an issue? If this happens, why do they say its okay to replace just the bulb instead of the whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't know what the orange is. Is the right side just a hole?

Do you have an attic or a basement? When we did this at my dad's house, we ran it straight up the wall into the attic, across, then down the other wall. Because gently caress routing things sideways through walls, and especially around corners.

Doing this may or may not be allowed, please consult local building codes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm looking for a TV in the 24"-32" range. I'm replacing a 20" CRT in my bedroom, and don't want to go smaller equivalent than that, and its a bedroom TV that gets minimal use so it doesn't have to be huge.

I won't have cable hooked up to this. Smart would be good, or I could always get a chromecast or something. Brand isn't a killer, unless someone's smart features literally blow everything else away. I'd be interested in not spending a ton on this.

Is there really a big difference between 1080p and 720p in this size?

I haven't bought a TV in 6 years. I don't know, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Vizio?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

People seem to rate the Samsung UN32EH5300 pretty well. $300 on Amazon (through TigerDirect though.) Smart and 1080p.

Yeah I did see that. It would be on the high end for this. I mean, I saw Vizio for like $40 less, so why not get the Samsung? I'd probably get that Samsung, unless there's something reasonably decent for closer to $200.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

For a smaller TV, are the smart features that good? Or am I better off buying a cheaper set and sticking a chromecast/roku stick on it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Christoff posted:

They're a lot better on the 2014 models. Generally lovely interface and slow apps. Can't go wrong with a roku

That being said its becoming standard

So its poo poo, but better than the old poo poo? I likely won't have cable on this TV, so if its just a monitor, I don't care. Unless the smart features are killer - like I won't have to plug in a Roku.

I mean my main TV is a 50" Sony projection from 2007. I change the bulb every 2 years, I have a 2010 WDTV Live and a Chromecast plugged into it. It could use more than 2 HDMI ports, but I'm happy with how everything looks and works. If I can get everything in one package, I'll be impressed, but a dumb TV with a plugin that works a lot better for the same total price is more than fine with me.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 27, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My dad is looking for a 60" smart TV in the $1000 range. This is the physically largest size he can fit over his fireplace, which I already told him was a dumb place to put it. He has a 40-something inch Aquos up there now. I haven't bought a TV myself in 7 years, so I don't really know the ins and outs. Do I still have to worry about viewing angle? Are speakers reasonably the same? I'm sure he just needs to it to be smart enough to run Netflix and maybe Amazon Prime.

Any brands to particulary avoid?

Here are just a few I picked up off Amazon being well reviewed by people who bought them -

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-60LB6300-60-Inch-1080p/dp/B00II6VW9Q/
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60H6350-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00ID2HGQ8
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-60LE660-60-Inch-Aquos-1080p/dp/B00NM4589O

Am I way off the mark on these?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M602i-B...=60%22+m+series

You could get a 10% off coupon from the post office and get it for roughly $1080 at bestbuy.

Do they still do those new homeowner move in kits? I used to get those for Home Depot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is it worth buying a 4k at this point? Is it more cost effective for 1080p to buy a dumb TV and add a Roku?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

A 4k tv is probably going to be better quality in all areas, so yea, if its in your budget buy the high end 4k set. Its not like the difference is simply better resolution. The 4k set will probably be bigger, have better design, have a better panel, better backlighting, etc..

Something like this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-p...RIXTRoCrF3w_wcB

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How does the UN70KU630D at Costco compare to the KS8000? Does Costco sell a KS8000?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dogen posted:

The 55" is the best value for size on rtings for under $1000 (there are a couple better overall quality picks under $1000). The 8000 is a lot better, and not too much more money (although I haven't seen a 70" one).

I had a 55" Sony 3LCD from 10 years ago up until I moved last year. I've been getting by on a 40" Samsung since, which is basically adequate, so I'm not going to make a move unless its big - 65" or better. The 70" KU630D is only $100 more at Costco than the 65", so why not?

But now I'm seeing the 65" online for under $1000. I guess the sale price at Costco for $1250 isn't the best deal.

But looking at the 65" KS8000 vs 65" KU6300, they have to be apples and oranges, right?

Should I expect the KS8000 to go on sale again for the Superbowl?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 18, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How does the Vizio P series compare to the Samsung Ks8000? I'm reading Samsung doesn't perform well in low light and has blooming issues.

Edit - the P series doesn't have a TV tuner? I use an antenna.

Taco Duck posted:

Does anybody know when the good TV deals for the Super Bowl start to show up and where to find them?

Today.

Are you looking for a list?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 22, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Do Samsungs have really bad tuners?

I had a 37" Vizio that I bought back in like 2007, never had any reception problems with it, even when I moved into this apartment a few years ago (brick buidling if that matters). After a few months I wanted a bigger tv so I bought a 50" Sharp on a while at Best Buy, and using the same "batman" antenna I used before, I got poor reception on a few channels and 100% lost ABC. I don't give a poo poo because football is only on CBS, Fox, and NBC. Sometimes I would have to move the antenna over to the end table or aim it a different way, but I have almost always been able to tune in those three channels and watch the game. I ended up buying a cheap powered antenna that looks like a flat black bar and have been using that.

About a year later, my girlfriend moved in and brought along her 50" Samsung. We tried using her tv but CBS is the only channel it would get. And then today I bought a 65" Samsung and it does the same loving thing. My old Sharp in the same place in the living room with the same antenna gets everything but ABC (including the local PBS and religious stations).

Do I have to go buy one of those $60 super antennas?

I have a 24" Sharp that seems to get channels when the weather is bad that my 40" Samsung doesn't on the same antenna. I really like that the Samsung tells me the name of the show and has a channel guide though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

In exploring the full range of autism, I've come full circle and back to the KS8000. I sit about 12' away from the TV, so 65" would be better. Problem is that it would look terrible with the rest of the room, while the 55" would fit pretty well with the overall design.

I consider getting the 55" now and upgrading later, but do you really see OLED prices coming down that much in the next couple of years when LG is really the only player in that area?

The $500 difference also seems to make the 55" a better value, but then there's the maxim of always buy bigger than you think.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Why would it look terrible?

We have this 1961 TV/Stereo console that's been hollowed out and is being used to hold the receiver and center channel speaker, and the TV is going to be on the wall above that. Looking at things, there really is no design to this room. We are still building things out after selling all of our stuff and moving across the country last year.

But this console is the centerpiece, and it stays, and I have no say in the matter.

So I'm in the "bad photoshop" phase of this, and haven't gotten to the "cardboard cutout" phase. I'm going with 65" (blue), 55" red isn't doing it. 40" orange is the current TV size.

We just need to put the speakers somewhere really. Those black tower speakers are going to be gone, I have the Polk bookshelf ones for the front channels. I don't want to hang them off the wall because they're 12" deep and would look weird hanging in space. I'm trying to find a couple of stands that look more like furniture, or a small shelving unit, rather than a couple of sticks holding up a speaker. I think if we can do that, then the 65" will work. If I have to put them on top of the console, or hang them out in space, it will have to be 55".

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah gently caress it, I'm getting 65".

edit - I think Costco is worth it even with tax.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 23, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The $90 square trade warranty is tits

Why do I need an extra warranty?

Edit - buying it. 7 years with Costco credit card. 2 basic Costco + 3 squaretrade + 2 more for using the card

Had to go to two Costcos. The first was sold out, I called the 2nd - they had 6 in stock. I got there 20 minutes later, down to two.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 24, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Isn't the KS8000 supposed to do Amazon in 4k? The Grand Tour is only coming through in 1080p.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yudo posted:

I guess a better way to put it is: how wobbly is this thing with the little OEM legs?

I have mine in a very dangerous position until my wall mount gets here. It's on a board that's barely deep enough, balanced on the center bit of a console table. I measured everything to make sure its perfectly centered and even. I gave it some shakes, it is very solid.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Now post a picture of the dog that plays with that Kong along with the TV

Here she is trying to eat my cereal. She won't pose with the TV.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Argyle posted:

Looking for a 60+ for a reasonable price, and I have a $100 Costco gift card to burn. Any compelling reason not to go with this Samsung 4k?

How much is it?

This would be much better if you can lose 5" https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag)-4K-SUHD-LED-LCD-TV-UN55KS800DFXZA.product.100290949.html

I asked this same question like 10 days ago.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 27, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Trillest Parrot posted:

I don't know if you got the answer you were looking for but if this is your first 4K show and you're running the amazon app from something hooked up via HDMI, make sure UHD is turned on for that HDMI port in the expert settings.

I didn't realize that Amazon listed the show separately for 4k.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

Adding to my post up there ^ - I see lots of people in the last 10 pages talking about Super Bowl sales coming up but I don't see any good sales advertised. Looking to pick up a 65" KS8000 but it's still $1,500 everywhere as usual. Anyone know of good sales going on this weekend?

$1500 is the sale price. It's like $1800 as usual.

Here's a 55" LG OLED for $1500 http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Electronics-OLED55B6P-Flat-55-Inch-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-OLED-TV-/182179278948?hash=item2a6abb3064:g:RzsAAOSwj85YN9Kw

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

There were people a few pages back talking about getting the K8000 for like 1100 or something.

Also that LG price seems too good to be true. Anyone bought a TV from eBay before? Worth losing 10" for OLED at the same price?

That $1100 sounds like Samsung employee price. I think people on Slickdeals were abusing that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My Samsung has issues with losing details in the blackness, but it's only on certain shows, and it's better than any TV I've ever owned. I don't regret not spending more on a smaller OLED.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone try to register the free HBO NOW promo with their KS8000? I tried to register on the website, it told me "Serial number invalid." So I called Samsung. They told me I bought the TV at Costco so its Costco's problem. I called Costco Concierge Service, and they got me on the line with Samsung again. This time, Samsung said they will have to manually register me. They're going to email me, and I'll have to submit a photo of my receipt and a photo of the serial number on the TV.

So an hour on various holds for this poo poo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does the KS8000 do 5.1 out of the optical out? My receiver is saying "Dolby Digital" when I watch stuff in the Amazon app on the TV, and when I watch TV over the antenna, but I haven't heard a sound out of my rear speakers. I don't know if there is something I can play through the TV to test this? Or if it just doesn't send 5.1. I know the speakers work, but it seems like I'm at best getting 3.1. But then I don't even know if I'm watching anything that is sending to the rear channels.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is anyone's KS8000 dropping internet? Mine has done it twice so far. My wifi works perfectly, except on the TV. No amount of screwing with the settings works. I tried setting manual IP and DNS and all that. I have to unplug the power from the TV and plug it back it to get it back, which is a pain in the rear end since I have it wall mounted.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I'm going to be moving across the country in a few months. I'm not wrong in thinking that my 42" Panasonic Plasma from 2008 (42PX75, I think?) is

1. Almost worthless
2. Outclassed by almost any new TV

Right?

According to TV people, plasma is magical tech with superior picture that we will never get again due to a conspiracy against having nice things.

I haven't seen a plasma since 2008 so I couldn't tell you how it compares side by side.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bill Barber posted:

Just get a modern amp with 5+ HDMI ports and use that as your switcher. #firstworldprobs

I was using an optical from my TV until I discovered HDMI ARC which seems to be pretty good, but it doesn't solve the number of inputs issue necessarily. But how many does one need? A Smart TV should eliminate most inputs that you need, but I guess those are the ones that come with the most HDMI ports.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 25, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I get color banding on the backgrounds of the Plex app, and sometimes if I have HDR turned on and the source isn't really HDR. Amazon seems to say their 4k stuff is HDR even when it isn't optimized for that.

Anyone else getting frameskipping/choppy playback in the Amazon app on the KS8000? I know it happens a lot with 4k, but not sure about 1080p. Things play smoothly through my FireTV, but that isn't 4k. I want to blame wifi, but my phone is Speedtesting at 215 Mbps down in the same room as the TV.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 8, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's the TV du jour in the 55"-65" / $1000-$1500 range?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

pwn posted:

LG 8500 55" 4k LED

If I had $1,200, though, I'd probably see if I couldn't scrape up $400 more for OLED

LG C6P 55" 4k OLED

Both have 3D as well

Better than the Visios?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any preference on an external tuner? Can you watch live antenna TV through a Tivo?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

TCL P series. I have one and it's fabulous.

TCL 55P607 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/

TCL is legit? Who are they?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

havenwaters posted:

Roku TV people. This specific model has ended up being a great budget tv.

So it's better than anything approaching $1000? I imagine you'd have to approach $1500 to do better?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm looking for a friend, she ruled out Vizio because it doesn't have a built in tuner and she doesn't want to mess with that. Leaning heavily on the TCL right now, I had no idea, I had initially written them off as some Chinese Walmart brand.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Samsung 55" UN55MU6300F is the same price as the TCL at the moment. I know people poo poo talk Samsung but at the same price which is a better deal?

We've had a Samsung Smart TV for 5ish? years that is starting to go out and I wanted to replace it with something that does 4k HDR all that jazz but we aren't very picky about quality otherwise so interested in something on the cheaper end.

Samsung bricked a whole bunch of the MU tvs this week with a software update. Not sure if that one specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My friend bought that TCL and now the screen doesn't come on unless she unplugs the TV and plugs it back in. She did buy the Square Trade thing.

Who do you contact first in this situation? Amazon? TCL? Square Trade?