Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

I was wondering if anyone could make a suggestion for a good deal to be had in Canada. I'd like about 50in. give or take, with 1080p. It doesn't have to be top of the line but I'd like it to be modern-looking (i.e. thin bezel, etc.). I don't care about 3D and I mostly want it to be good for watching sports. It would be in a room with windows along the wall, but with blinds that can be lowered. Ideally, I'd like to spend under $700. Since I realize this is a tall order, I was also wondering if anyone has experience with refurbished models/dealers. Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Mister Macys posted:

The biggest difficulty is getting a 47"+ TV for $700. $800 would be better. $900 would be ideal. As you've likely noticed prices are easily 10-20% higher than in the United States. Before sales taxes. At that price point, you generally are limited to plasmas and store/value brands. Plasmas and budget brands will have a larger bezel bordering the display, and the TV's actual thickness will be greater. Naturally, my first recommendation is a road trip to an American Walmart/Best Buy/Target/Fry's Electronics. Barring that, here's what I could find:

2001 Audio Video:
47" 120Hz LCD - $499
2012 47" LG 120Hz LED - $599.
2012 47" Panasonic 120Hz LED - $699.
Plasmas:
2012 50" LG - $499.
2012 50" Panasonic - $599.
2012 51" Samsung - $599.
Physical locations only in Ontario. Free shipping for TVs 43" and under. Price drops very rare. :pwn:

Gibby's Electronic Supermarket:
2013 51" Samsung plasma - $698. Only 2 HDMI ports.
Free shipping on select items (rotates). Not this one though. :negative:

The Source (yes, Radio Shack exists in Canada :downs: ):
2013 51" Samsung plasma - $699.
Free in-store pick-up. Otherwise you pay. :effort:

And Amazon.ca is a bigger joke than Netflix Canada, which is saying something.

Thanks a ton man, I'll check these links. That said, I'll also look into driving to Vermont soon (I'm in Montreal).

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

I hate to ask the same question a few months later, but I decided to wait until as close as possible to football season to get the most current deal. I'm looking for as large as possible a TV (ideally 50+ in.) with 1080p and a good refresh rate (I'm primarily going to be using it for sports). I don't care about 3D or videogames, so if I can avoid some features that apply mostly to those and save money then great--ideally, I'd like to spend <$800, although I guess I could go up to $1000 for a really good value. Has anyone seen any particularly good deals available right now that fit this general description?

Thanks!

edit: are refurbished TVs a uniformly terrible idea?

JiUC fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 26, 2013

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005318

Would you guys consider this a good deal even if I don't particularly care about 3D? On paper it seems to be a huge discount...

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

yeah, I am in Canada. Are prices a lot worse here for TVs?

I basically just want to find the best possible value on a relatively state of the art (with the exception of 3D, and specifically as pertains to sports) TV that's at least close to 50", and in the next week so that I have it in time for football season.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

0-20% worse, depending on the product, and the venue you're purchasing from.
A road trip to the U.S. is a good option if you can swing it.

Offhand, I'd recommend the 51" Samsung F5500 plasma, or the 50" Panasonic S60. Both are $899 at the usual suspects.
Plasma's great for sports, what with the motion resolution and crazy wide viewing angles (nearly sideways for some).

Thanks! So is there a general consensus that plasma is better than LED and LCD for sports? I see that they tend to have much better refresh rates, but is that far and away the most important consideration?

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

Does anyone have experience or opinions on either of these two models I'm considering?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253358CVF

http://www.costco.ca/Panasonic-Viera-TC-L58E60-58-in.-Smart-1080p-LED-HDTV**-.product.100041960.html

thanks in advance guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

Just picked up an LG 55LM9600 for $1250 last night at Newegg. Must have gotten one of the last ones because it was unsurprisingly sold out within an hour of my order. Seems to have some quality control issues based on the large discrepancy in reviews, but worst case scenario I can return in. If I get a good set though, it sure feels good to pay $1250 for a TV that's been sold for $3500--especially in Canada, where it seems so much harder to find deep discounts--even if it's not quite good enough to justify that price. Definitely recommend Newegg for anyone looking for a good deal in Canada. Also, the 5mm bezel is absolutely gorgeous: