Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
So I should try to buy one of those before then, if I was thinking of getting one in the next year or so? I'm guessing prices will not be dropping like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone ever bought an open-box discounted TV from Best Buy? The one near me has quite a few Panasonic S60s for $600 or less.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

You got 30 days to return it. Buy one and take it home.

It's actually down to 15 days now, unless you're in some kind of nonsense loyalty program.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I imagine you would want to make sure any 4k TV you buy has HDMI 2.0 ports: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/4/4693674/hdmi-2-0-specification-supports-60fps-4k-video-32-channel-audio

There also seem to be major roadblocks in the way of 4k content becoming widely available, as far as I can tell? It takes an insane amount of power to render games at 4k. The new consoles are barely hitting 1080p. The only 4k video player on the market is almost as expensive as that TV and only works on Sony TVs, and it only plays an extremely limited set of content. Netflix is planning to launch 4k sometime next year, but the bandwidth requirements are certainly going to be high. And that's not even getting into the source being available at 4k. Most movie special effects are rendered at 2k, not 4k, even if the film itself is shot at 4k or on film.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, good to know. Getting better, but $800 worth of video card is still pretty impractical.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you can find a slightly better price, you could go with the VT-60: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC4SJEC/

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So the 55" Panasonic S60 is pretty much sold out everywhere, eh? If anyone sees it in stock anywhere online, do post about it here. The only place I've found it is B&H, and shipping is $150.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
There's one on Amazon warehouse deals right now, for $1,115.67, for some reason.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
FYI, anyone looking out for a Panasonic TC-P50S60 should check Best Buys nearby. A ton just popped up near me as clearance/open box. I got a ~4 month old display model marked as "excellent" quality for $550. They even have a handy location-based search tool: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17301&type=page

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So I just picked up a display model Panasonic S60 from Best Buy, and now that it's home, I notice there is a box with the word "store" in it when it displays an all-white image. Is this something that will go away over time, or is this burn-in? Subquestion: At some point, was Best Buy really dumb enough to display something with a box in the corner that says "store" for their in-store demo reel?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
This is the corner of my newly-bought display model Panasonic S60 mentioned earlier:

Is this the kind of thing you can usually fix by running that screen wipe mode in the options menu?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
How long would does that usually take? I have like, a week left to return this guy.

Menus say the TV was run for 3000+ hours in the store, which seems like a lot? It was manufactured in Jan. 2013.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

I would return it. Most image retention should go away in like..a few minutes. If that thing is still there, that might be actual burn-in.

Yeah, this is seeming like the best course of action. Best Buy currently has the Samsung PN51F5500 for $650 new, which is a lot cheaper than it is elsewhere. Reviews generally peg it as a slight downgrade from the S60, partially due to a usually-higher price, but $650 seems like a pretty drat good deal in the S60's absence.

Edit: That is actually the PN51F5300, which does seem to have generally positive reviews, except in the area of input lag. Amazon has the PN51F5500 for just shy of $800, which seems to be about the going rate for that one.

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 14, 2014

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Walmart has a 60" LG 60PN5000 1080p plasma for $650. The closest thing I can find to a review online is this AVS Forum thread, which has a lot of generally positive impressions. Anyone have any experience with this set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

So since finding a VT60 set is impossible now, Wal-Mart has an LG 60PN5000 for $600.

I know this isn't the best, but the best isn't available any more. :(

Are there any other sets I should seriously consider? Looking for a plasma (ideally) to watch movies and play games.

bull3964 posted:

VT or ZT. It's usually compared to the ZT under most circumstances.

I wouldn't even consider an LG plasma, they are the bottom of the barrel. If the F8500 is too rich for your blood, I would look at the F5500 or F5300 (really the same as the F5500 but no 3d.)

I bought that LG from Walmart, since I couldn't get my hands on an S60 before they went away and didn't really want to step all the way up to the Samsung F5500. It seems pretty solid so far, but I have very little to compare it to - I'm moving from a 720p Vizio plasma from 2008, so this is unquestionably an upgrade from that. This thread on AVS Forums is full of mostly positive impressions, and the model this is derivative of has reasonably okay reviews elsewhere. I need to play some Rock Band this weekend and make sure the input lag situation is okay, but otherwise, tentative thumbs up, as a budget option? I imagine if you were planning on getting a VT60, you'll want to look at Samsung.