Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
So realistically how big a difference is there between OLED and LED? Seems a massive difference pricewise when I can get an LG or Vizio 65" 120hz for ~1000 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, I'm just having trouble justifying 3k for a 65" OLED when I can get a 75" LED for less than half the price.

The OP is out of date, are there any manufacturers or lines within manufacturers to avoid? Any manufacturers above par?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I snagged this off EBay for $550:

http://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/s-series/tcl-65-class-s-series-4k-uhd-hdr-roku-smart-tv-65s401

Almost bought the 55” but checked EBay on a lark and they were selling this as a refurb. Hope it’s not complete trash, most of the reviews I read were okay, so yeah.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Mr E posted:

HDR games seem pretty dark.

wait til you see the Doom 3 remaster

im so sorry :ohdear:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Hey, do you guys have an opinion on the TCL 65S401? I see rtings has a review of the S405, but it’s my understanding that the S405 isn’t HDR capable while the S401 is.

Is the 65” S401 a good deal at $560?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

FCKGW posted:

All the S series do HDR, but they are not bright enough to do Dolby Vision HDR. The S series and C series can.

The panels between the S405 and the S401 Walmart model and S403 Costco model are exactly the same. The S405 has the WiFi/Headphones version of the Roku remote while the S401/S403 has the IR/Basic version. That's it.

I imagine it will be a pretty big jump in quality from a 720p 50” Sanyo plasma from 2008 (that cost a thousand bucks back then).

Blows my mind how cheap TVs are now, even more so if you consider pixels per inch.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't want my final movie in theatres to be The Last Jedi. :emo:

But I don't want to bother going to see Dune if they're really not selling concessions.

Oh gently caress me

The Rise of Skywalker was mine, thanks for reminding me :(

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Rinkles posted:

The hell is "motion rate" except a deceptive way of making 60Hz TVs look like they're 120Hz?

My dad got a Samsung Q8DT (think it's a Costco Q80T). Reviews said it was 120Hz, but it turns out the 49" model is the one model in the series stuck at 60Hz. Official specs only mentioned the aforementioned motion rate of 120.

Also with a PS5 connected it looks washed out and oversaturated. The HDR doesn't look great, not sure if it's the tv or the config. How do you guys normally go about calibrating displays (if you don't have dedicated tools)?

Remember: marketing is full of poo poo and every maker has bullshit terms to make you think that they have a 120hz refresh rate.

You got taken by the free market, friend. You’re a real American now.

For real though, this is one of those things that should absolutely be required to be specified on spec sheets by law. Hate that poo poo and feel for you, buddy. Happened to me too.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

BB is a weird place. They either chew you up in a summer or they rope you in for life. One of my friends has worked there doing deliveries for 14 years and just seems so content to stay there.

As a 16 year retail survivor who got out (and into IT weirdly enough), lots of people don’t know what they’re really capable of and just go with what’s good enough/works for now.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Oh I totally agree. I primarily worked service and retail from 16 until 37. I was forced to find a new industry and landed in manufacturing. It's night and day. And I've advanced multiple times and been commended frequently for the quality of my work.

I’m really glad to hear that. Seems like within that subset of long-term retail/service survivors that it either burns you into a husk of a person or you get out and have a work ethic that people who have been treated like human beings in the time that you were a wage-slave can’t touch.

Really gives you perspective.

For content: is OLED looking like it’s going to stick around? It’s been here for what, 5 years now? When can we realistically expect it to be ~$1k for a set equivalent to the CX (4K, OLED, 120hz)?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Apparently since there isn’t a general DVR/streaming media player thread in IYG, I must ask this here now.

Please recommend me a good DVR/streaming media player so we can stop paying Suddenlink every month for our rented TiVo box.

This Amazon Fire TV box appears to be the highest-rated thing on BestBuy.com with 1TB of storage. We don’t watch streaming channels at all; we just need something to pause/rewind/record live TV and maybe get some 4K content.

TVs have streaming software built into them. Take the money you save by getting rid of cable and buy a ridiculously nice TV that has all you want built into it.

If you want live sports, there are apps for that — DVRs aren’t really a thing anymore that I know of beyond what you’ve mentioned.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

jokes posted:

The people who say 60Hz video games are fine are people who haven't gone higher or aren't able to.

Shoot, not even gaming. Moving my mouse around on my 120hz monitor when I get home feels so g o o d after being oppressed by the tyranny of 60hz at work

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Wonder if it’ll be worth getting over the CX? Haven’t been able to watch it yet — will this year’s offerings have true HDMI 2.1 support for 4K 120hz without the color compromise?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Evis posted:

I read somewhere they still have the 40Gbps limit in this year’s models.

I... I just want full HDMI 2.1 support, 4K 120hz with no color fuckery

Is that too much to ask

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Yo I’m not really a TV guy, question:

That’s not taken upside down, my gf’s tv is non-responsive stuck doing this and the old power cycle dance doesn’t help

Is this easily saved or is it time for a trip to Costco?

Sounds like an opportunity to live up to your username

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

So what is the recommendation for least spying TV add on (Apple TV, Fire stick, Roku, whatever, I don’t have a preference so long as they’re not as in my poo poo as this loving C1 is, the multiple EULAs are goddamn insane)?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's not the attic, the black hole is centered directly on my wallet.

I lol’d

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

codo27 posted:

Selling sweat shop built trash at a non-justifiable premium

No ethical consumption under capitalism

Really disappointed to hear that Apple is the best option because… gently caress all of their practices re: repair and double gently caress their “walled garden” and turbo gently caress their manufacturing

Appreciate the advice though

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

So my 65” TCL 4series from four years ago has died and it was cheap enough that repairing it doesn’t make sense (and display tech has gotten better and OLED cheaper).

I’ve got a C1 in my bedroom — I’d like to take advantage of pre-super bowl sales and get a top tier OLED at 75-85”. Are any other displays in that same quality range that I should be looking at besides the C1/G1?

Moderate amount of sunlight in the room, none of which hits the TV. 13ft viewing distance.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

The LG A1 has a few compromises if you're a hardcore gamer cinephile but at just shy of $800 for the 48" model it might be the ultimate Bedroom TV

E: Tomsguide Affiliate Link

I think it’s 60hz and doesn’t do VRR so yeah, probably a great bedroom TV. I got the C1 for the same price refurb’d on Black Friday and it’s kind of a waste. I mean it’s amazing, but I don’t use the fancy poo poo on it. The A1 is a solid call IMO

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

77” LG C1 is down to ~$2700 this week. I’m hoping to see it at $2,400 next week otherwise I’m snagging it at Costco with the extra warranty for $2,800.

I would have liked to get the 83” but that premium isn’t worth the screen size difference IMO

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

codo27 posted:

Frequenting threads like this makes me question the very nature of the internet forum. OPs quickly become obsolete or ineffective, we need stickies that appear at the top of every page to cut down on "what x should I buy" questions. You can still have the discourse for the more intricate details but the same questions that are asked daily should have their answers provided more readily

This isn't a diss to the poster above, like I said its just the nature of the forum. (yes 3.5mm is aux out, not sure about volume control though, wide angle viewing is blown out of proportion and not much of a real concern, obviously it is active lifetime and no there is no future proofing you should be considering unless you are hardcore into gaming in which case you would probably already know about things like high/variable refresh rates/HDMI 2.1)

I get what you’re saying, but the only semi-alternative is Reddit and that’s not really an alternative at all being as it’s upvote based.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah i prefer death to a forum that doesn't use chronological posting by default.

Same, friend.

This thread and the monitor thread have provided a decent education in hardware and display tech (even the people who post bad information). I really enjoy coming here and seeing what the Smart Goons are posting because it’s usually informative and helpful.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, I’d love to see high frame rate content but the points against it are unfortunately valid right now.

Which sucks.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Are there any decent TV price aggregator sites?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

This 77” C1 Is pretty fuckin rad

Going from a 5 year old TCL 4 series to this has been wild.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

minusX posted:

Don't be me and miss that in the US the G1 only comes with the mounting bracket and no feet (All reviewers seemed to get the feet included and who reads the box???). I'd rather have it mounted but the location it's being set up can't mount to the wall. Had to pay $100 for the official feet (which were also for the GX) since all other third party feet/stands cost more for an ok substitute might as well get the real thing. Also they are shockingly out of stock everywhere for an optional part, had to get lucky with a local big box that was an hour away.

High end goods that cheap out on dumb poo poo like that are infuriating.

Here’s your $1,200 phone with no charger brick! Here’s your $5,000 TV with no stand!

I could see doing that with budget tier stuff, but why alienate your customers like that

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

It doesn't. OLEDs are not dim. OLEDs are brighter than plasma TVs were. In SDR content (as in: all sports) OLEDs are just as bright as LCDs are. The only time OLEDs are dimmer is when comparing peak HDR brightness vs. LCD, and to be honest I can't imagine wanting something brighter than what my OLED can put out.

Our OLED is in a room with a west-facing window and it's fine, even at sunset.

I was surprised as hell at how much brighter my C1s are than my five year old TCL 4 series was.

I figured it would be not great so far as brightness is concerned but the first time I turned our bedroom TV on at night our room lit up.

Side note: I think the coolest non picture feature of new TVs is pairing Bluetooth audio and it actually being in sync

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Slig posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on a 4K (please talk me out of 8K) TV primarily for gaming (PS5/Switch/PC) in the 60 or 65 inch range. I figure anything good for that would also be plenty good for streaming movies and shows. I'm kind of wary on OLEDs cause of the possibility of burn in but I'm not sure how realistic that possibility is.

Not worried too much about cost, just want something that's high quality and will last.

4K content is barely mainstream and it’s been around for what, nearly ten years? 8K is still a wayyyyy off of anywhere near mainstream adoption. Shoot, isn’t the Super Bowl still in 1080p this year? Video cards can’t push that resolution at playable framerates — the only reason for an 8K TV is to say you have an 8K TV. Which is not a reason to get an 8K TV.

There’s no reason to get an 8K TV in 2022. Say it with me, buddy. There’s no reason to get an 8K in 2022.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Slig posted:

Thank you, I was thinking this but part of my brain went into misguided future-proofing thoughts.

LG C1 looks like it sits low. Are there some good low profile soundbar options or should I just elevate the screen higher? I'm not in a place where I can wall mount.

Also in regards to soundbar, does LG C1 play nice with other brands or am I going to be forced into an LG soundbar?

The mount on the C1 is on the lower third of the TV, it is *not* in the middle of the TV as it is on lots of other models. The VESA mount points are also in a rectangular configuration, like 200x400 (it’s wider than it is long)

I don’t have a sound bar so can’t help you there, but the TV will sit higher versus a center mounted TV if that helps. You’ve got to raise the TV higher to reach the lower VESA mount.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Snackmar posted:

Even LG's own SP11RA sound bar is too tall for the LG C1.. It's just a smidge but it's like a wedge in my eyeball that I can't unsee. A very thin piece of wood shoved under the C1 would fix the issue

Always wall mount if you can because the poo poo looks good (and keeps poo poo out of reach of kids if you have them or have family that brings them over) and running into issues like the above is annoying as gently caress

It is nowhere near as difficult as you think, even with metal studs. Same with patching holes in walls.

Put hole in wall/studs

Cut hole to run cables in top and bottom

Screw mount into wall

Mount TV, plug poo poo in

Done

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Sleng Teng posted:

Okay great! I mainly asked because I heard above 10 ft is dicey unless it's fiber but I didn't know for sure. I also saw this https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42676 from monoprice.

Are they hard to bend? I have to run it across the length of the tv and then down the wall and some people seem to be worried about strain on the connectors and stuff.

With HDMI 2.1, over 10ft requires an active cable which costs more. Signal degradation grows from there.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’ve been burnt too many times by whatever procedurally generated company name is selling cables. I’ll gladly pay a premium to know that they weren’t assembled by slave labor and are actually what I paid for. It’s not worth anyone’s time to worry about your cable after you’ve paid for it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

The C2 will supposedly be brighter but probably not many more big differences between them.

I’ve got the 48” C1 as a bedroom TV and it felt eye searingly bright coming from an older TV. 30% brighter seems like something you’d only want in a room where the sun shines directly onto the TV.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Eyud posted:

I have some from Cable Matters on Amazon. They’re 2.1 and I haven’t had any issues.

E: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081NXV3ZR/

Same, the color coded ones are great for running through walls and knowing which plug goes to which input.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Boner Wad posted:

Speaking of cables, on my Apple TV input I occasionally have issues with my LG E6 OLED will have pinkish snow flash on the screen and the audio cuts out. Apple TV runs at 4k HDR and 4:2:2 chroma. I used these 25 feet HDMI cables in my wall. I believed at the time that they were HDMI 2.1. I'm assuming these cables are the problem?

HDMI 2.1 is only good to 3m/9.8ft — after that you get signal degradation. You’d need active cables or a repeater or something to get 25ft with no loss.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

barnold posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the 42" LG C2? I want it so bad. I have a 40" TCL 3-Series right now that is decent enough for regular gaming and TV watching but I'm looking to finally move up into the world of 4K. The C2 is undoubtedly the king of TVs, especially in that size range, but I've also looked at the significantly cheaper Sony X85J/X85K. 43" is really the maximum I'd consider as any more than that won't fit in my current setup. I really want that native 120HZ so I've more or less ruled out the cheaper LG/Sony offerings

120Hz isn't a mega dealbreaker and I could definitely live with 60Hz if there's a much more cost efficient and good looking option out there. But I got this TCL for almost free and haven't bought a TV on my own since I bought a 27" Westinghouse 720p panel like 13 years ago so I'm a little rusty

I wanted a 42” C2 too until I saw the price vs a 48” C1

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I get that, you work with what you have, not what you wish you had.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Is there a real difference between the C1 and C2? I’ve got a C1 and I’ve got family interested in an OLED — my gut says find a C1 cheap but if the C2 is meaningfully better, now’s the time to get it. I know the C2 has a 42” version but that’s not needed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

GreenNight posted:

98" TLC for $4k and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NLJ8ZZS

That’s a whole lot of TV — almost 4,100sq in of viewing area. Christ.

45PPI though