Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Impulse bought an E-550i-B2 to replace an ancient 42 inch monitor in my living room. Got it for 600 and frankly it has no business looking as good as it does for the price.

Next to my ST series Panny it does come up short but nowhere near as far as it should.
The set is very much worthwhile but does have a few flaws:

-Dim panel back light creates contrast issues, but does create surprisingly stark, inky blacks. Expect your fps hud elements to appear gray which isn't really ideal with the aforementioned contrast.
-Contrast can create a lack of color saturation in some scenes, specifically blues tend to gray.
-Insanely minor motion blur in fast moving scenes and games.
-Stand is poo poo, remote feels cheap.

Used Katz settings for calibration and found them mostly accurate for a moderately lit room. I did turn down the back light (80) to try and compensate for the lack of a gamma adjustment feature and found it did return some punch to the cooler colors without having to further crank the contrast.

All in all I'm satisfied and pleasantly surprised with a set from a brand I've spent the better part of a decade scoffing at. I use the set for gaming and general use if anyone has any questions I can do my best to answer.

As a final note I don't use the Panny for anything but movies since IR is very much a thing still well into the 400 or so hours the set has been on. It's minor and I've seen worse, but it is still a thing that it does.

nuclear_cheetos fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!

motherbox posted:

If I'm looking for a TV primarily for gaming and streaming with an upper price limit of $1000, can I do any better than this one? I could maybe sneak up another $50 or $100 bucks, but that'd be pushing it, and the value here seems really good. I'm just afraid of the soap opera effect, and wouldn't mind spending a bit more to have the option to toggle it off. Would it be particularly noticeable if I'm watching TV shows through Netflix or HBO Go?

The e550i-B2 is only 60hz with backlight scanning. It lacks any proper video processing features beyond that.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Bought a 55 inch CX this morning for what I'm assuming is a too good to be true price. Fully expecting a B series or the 48 inch to show up at my door, and if this is the case I'll just return it.

First decent set since I lost my Panasonic VT to an ex and it is now "the bedroom tv" that people play games and watch movies on with little to no regard for retention or burn-in.

Really hope the LG CX is legit as a monitor or it will be short lived and replaced with a QLED.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!

Fedule posted:

Yeah there's usually a dip of some kind around Black Friday season; November last year was the lowest the C9 ever got (I want to say the 55 C9 briefly hit £1199 before eventually returning to £1299 where it stayed until gone). I forget what C9 prices were like up until then though. The 55 CX has so far come down from £1799 to £1699. There'll probably be some advancement on that in November. What happens after that will depend on what's cooking for the C11.

Basically it's like I said; you're paying the unknown number of hundreds of pounds as the cost for getting the thing 3-4 months earlier than you would otherwise, and it's up to you to figure out if that gain is compelling enough to you.

The deal with the TONE earpods seems to be all over the UK; I've also seen it at Richer Sounds, John Lewis and Peter Tyson, all of whom I'd rather buy from than Curry's.

I've found retailers in the US selling the 55 CX as low as 1440 USD. Still more expensive than the lowest clearance I've seen for a C9 but probably worth the extra few hundred bucks.