Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I notice that there are mounts that say "up to 40something inches" but which support weights greater than what a bigger TV might weigh. Are there other structural factors which would be of concern, or is the manufacturer basically estimating how heavy a given size of TV is basically going to be?

Basically I'd like to use something like this mount with the E-550i-B2, since the E-550i is just over 24 pounds without the stand.

Center of gravity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rtings reviews worth a drat? Looking at some TV's and they look pretty thorough on some things I care about (input lag, viewing angles, etc)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bonobos posted:

You'd be surprised. A lot of the LG tvs are not so great for input lag. Even game mode not so great. Samsung is hit or miss depending on what forum you visit. Again, all this is anecdotal. I've never seen / used these tvs, your experience may may be different.

As far as I read the sony 2013 tvs are better than the 2014 versions, but I can't substantiate that at this moment.

Input lag is a subjunctive thing, some don't notice at all. I'm super sensitive to it, hence why I did some reading on which perform better towards this aspect.

The LB6300 series from LG have low input lag right behind the 2014 Sony's. You have to set the input to game mode and change the name of the input to PC.

http://www.displaylag.com/best-hdtvs-gaming-2014-introduction/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Sony KDL-50W800B. Anyone in here pick up any 2014 Sony model? Could you chime in with your thoughts?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I know this concerns the 48" model, but this video had an interesting run down of the television, and the model you are interested in is the premium version of this set. Although the one you like has a likely much better "on" light, and the stand looks a bit more stylish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp9KBZ_UtYY

I watched this review as I'm eyeing the 40" model, and want it for its gaming-aid specs over alternative LED televisions.

Yeah, they actually have a 800B video which is pretty much the same. I was just hoping someone here had a unit to talk about it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Welp, I did it. Was out eating a late lunch with a friend today and it just happened to be near a Best Buy. He wanted to pick up some games, but I made a beeline to the TV section and the TV I wanted, the Sony KDL50W800B, was on demo. Played around with it and bought it on the spot. After getting it home, setting it up, calibrating it and messing around with a bunch of sources (Blu-rays, TV shows, cartoons, video games) for the last 3-4 hours, I deem it to be great set for me.

You can see the demoted set in the lower right corner. :smith:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 4, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hed posted:

Since Google bought Twitch this may just "happen" as an update to the YouTube app in the next 12 months.

Eh, that was a single news source with no other substantiation back in May. No other news was reported after that. Until I see some filing, it never happened.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Hate to divert the thread a bit, but somebody earlier had purchased that Sony KDL 55-60" LED set, and I was wondering if they used a settings guide similar to the Cnet Vizio one?

That'd be me and no. I ventured into the sperg pit that is AVSForum and ganked some guy's settings and let it ride.

Edit: Oh hey, appears there is a thread for my TV. I guess I could give them a try. Looks plenty different at first glance from what I got fro AVSForum.

Edit #2: Tried it and I'm.... not a fan. AVSForum had better settings, at least for the content I watch: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1513305-sony-2014-w600b-w800b-w850b-18.html#post25414714

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 27, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Vizio is doing a recall for some of their E series televisions for tipping over.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/VIZIO-Recalls-to-Repair-39-and-42-Inch-E-Series-Flat-Panel-Televisions/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

After many years, it's time for us to get a 60" tv. I'm a dumbass and out of the loop with this stuff so please forgive these questions:

If our primary use of a tv is a lot of video game systems (that we watch blu-ray/dvds on also, I already have good HDMI converters for the older systems) and a VCR, is there anything in particular we need to worry about besides the refresh rate being 120hz?

We have an LCD now and stuff looks great on it but is there a legit noticeable difference between plasma/lcd? What's the deal with led tvs?

Lastly, more out of curiosity but is 3D a thing at all anymore? Is the 3D particularly better or worse from some companies' tvs?

120hz refresh rate is the worst thing for video games. You want a set with acceptable input lag. Check with displaylag.com or rtings.com.

Plasma sets tend to get great contrast (read: true black) compared to LCD sets. LED is the new lighting source that makes most sets thinner and use less power compared to older fluorescent lighting. There's 2 types of LED lighting, local dimming and edge lit. Essentially where the LEDs are. Local dimming has the LEDS set behind the display and light up when needed and provide pretty good blacks that bring it really close to Plasma. Edge lit are LEDS set on the outside of the display pointed inward.

3D is sorta dead. The industry is already pushing for 4K and curved displays.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 9, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stefan posted:

I'm researching a new tv purchase, and have narrowed it down to
Sony KDL-55W900A 55-Inch 240Hz
Sony KDL65W850A 65-Inch 120Hz

My reasoning for these two tvs are that they have very low latency, and have universally excellent reviews for picture quality. For some reason the 2014 versions of these models have worse quality? Are these tvs a good buy, or is there some alternative out there that just beats it in every way for a similar price?

I'm leaning towards the 65 inch model, because from what I've read the 240 Hz refresh is an unnecessary gimmick. Anyone want to confirm/deny that?

I honestly haven't heard of that. I have the KDL-50W800B and it looks pretty good. It definitely has one of the better contrasts that put it up with most plasma sets. The video settings are pretty thorough and can produce a great image when its configured right.

Edit: OK, digging in a little bit. The KDL-xxW950B TV's are IPS panels, that's probably why. They won't have the contrast or quality VA panels (like the KDL-50W800B and perhaps the TV's you listed) do.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 17, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Dirty Beluga posted:

Went to Best Buy to look at some stuff this evening and a Sony caught my eye. The kdl60w630b is reasonably priced and seemed better put together than the Sharp's or Vizio's they had in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60W630B-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN8S/ref=sr_1_1

I'm leery of Sony stuff from a bad experience with a Vaio desktops Back In The Day. This TV seems to get great reviews wherever I look online though... Anyone have experience with Sony TV's?

Sony TV's are one of the best brand name televisions.

Edit: You have to remember that big corporations like Sony have entire groups that focus on one product line. The quality of Sony laptops are not indicative of another product. Also, there's a reason why Sony is spinning of their laptop business.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 3, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

tk posted:

Are you really linking an article about how poorly Sony's TV and laptop divisions are doing to emphasize how much their laptops suck compared to their TVs?

Yep, I sure did. I'm aware of the contents of the article. The article at least states that their TV business is 3rd in the market (though at an increasing margin). I don't know of anyone who would recommend a Vaio.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

HTPC is perfect for xbmc then. You should also look into the logitech harmony smart hub if they have it there. It can control a pc over bluetooth. You could also get a simple usb ir receiver and mount it where it has line of sight.

I recommend flirc for your IR on HTPC needs. Fully supported by the Logitech Harmony.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Acrophyte posted:

Ended up ordering the Sony W800B 50" as it has seriously low input lag, good for whenever the next Battlefield comes out. It's actually a 3D model (which I'm agnostic on), but the comparable Samsung was about $100 more (with no 3D :raise:). Also that "Samsung panel lottery" had me leery of getting hosed. Limited viewing range but I don't have tons of people over to watch TV regularly anyway.

The viewing angle isn't all that bad they make it out to be. Mine is next to my desk and angled to minimize the issue. Colors still look fine.

Otherwise a great TV.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

the panacea posted:

So I finally ordered a TV I feel content with. Anything I need to look out for on my new Bravia KDL50-W805 re panel issues?

Maybe black and gray uniformity.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ironlung posted:

Would you guys return a TV with a cluster of dead pixels or just deal with it?

This is a 50" Samsung LED TV that I got off of Amazon and the first one arrived last Friday with a dent in the back panel that caused a ripple effect that was very noticeable so I obviously returned that and had them send out a new set.

New one got here today and I immediately noticed a cluster of dead pixels.

Pic:

http://imgur.com/N8I03uw

It's on the bottom right corner of the screen and not noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it but I also just spent a decent amount of money on this TV so I'm kind of annoyed.

I don't really want to go through the hassle of making time to be at home so I can receive the delivery for the third time, plus packing up and dropping off this second TV at the UPS store. What do you all think?

Definitely, make use of that Amazon return, don't loving settle.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Panel is hosed. Call Samsung if it can be replaced for a nominal fee or start shopping.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'm now a proponent of tapping on stuck pixels.

Earlier this week I noticed there was a pixel stuck on green, front and center of the display while playing Dragon Quest Heroes and was very :ohdear: for about half an hour. Used jscreenfix and youtube "pixel fixers" but didn't do the job. I was a a few seconds away at looking at my Squaretrade policies when in the end I just tapped on it a couple times and it went a way. :unsmith:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Anyone know if LG or Samsung TVs support Plex?

Plex's website says Samsung Smart TV's, Vizio Smart TV's and Smart TV's that use Opera TV support Plex.

https://plex.tv/downloads

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Monoprice sells everything now

This is true, I was made aware they sold instruments now. :stare:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I just browsed around a little bit and came across this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12374

Ordered two.

Why does it have free shipping!? :psyduck:

Ordered one...

Edit: It's not even on SlickDeals. This is a fresh glitch(?).

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I just browsed around a little bit and came across this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12374

Ordered two.

As of 3:28 AM, Pacific Time, the link above goes directly to the front page and searching for it and clicking on the link does the same. They know.