Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Hey everybody, I'm moving into a new apartment and would like to be one of you TV watching people, with access to content and everything (I've been pretty much DVD-only for about 8 years). I bought a Sony equipped with Smart TV (only review I could find is [url] here http://www.thegoodblog.com.au/product-reviews/flatscreen-tv/sony-50-inch-full-hd-smart-tv-kdl50w700a/[/url]. I'm in Mexico, not Australia). I'd like to set up a VPN network and watch US Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime, and UK BBC. However, I don't know if Sony's Smart TV will allow this, or if I should get an additional box like a PS3 (which I have handy) or a Roku 3 (which I'd have to go buy).

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of setup? Is there a guide I could consult? I'm sorry if I'm not giving the right information, I've been out of the loop for a while :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

You don't need a VPN, use Unblock-US.

It works by DNS, which if the TV doesn't support customizing then your router will.

That looks pretty great, thanks, I'll start reading up on it. In general, is Sony Smart TV well regarded? Did I do well in choosing that TV?

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Can anyone comment on whether Amazon Prime instant video will play in any location outside the US without VPN?

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I realize this is probably very dumb, but I need to ask- I have a Sony Bravía TV and I'd like to play my own photo and video files on it via USB. I put an mp4 on a USB stick but you TV couldn't see it. What am I doing wrong?

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

What is the file system on the USB stick? My tv will only recognise exfat, not Fat32, NTFS, HFS etc.

I think it's NTFS. I'll reformat and try exfat. Thanks!

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
My old Bravia gave up the ghost yesterday so I went and bought a TCL 55 S412. Looks great but I have 2 questions and Google hasn't been helpful: how the hell do I get the Amazon Prime Video app (and if possible other news apps) in there, and why is there a half second audio lag in all the YouTube videos I've used for testing? What setting affects this?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

burnsep posted:

My old Bravia gave up the ghost yesterday so I went and bought a TCL 55 S412. Looks great but I have 2 questions and Google hasn't been helpful: how the hell do I get the Amazon Prime Video app (and if possible other news apps) in there, and why is there a half second audio lag in all the YouTube videos I've used for testing? What setting affects this?

Thanks!

Sorry to harp on but I'd love any help before this gets buried :hfive: