Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I'm considering buying an ST60 Panny Plasma myself on Black Friday. I'm concerned that quite a bit of the shows watched end up being 4:3 content (kids cartoons). Do I need to worry about those black side bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

havenwaters posted:

I've been looking into a new living room TV for my parents to replace their old 46 inch Sony KDL-46V25L1 with a 60-70 inch TV that they can have wall mounted and have a couple questions.

They explicitly told me that they do not want a Plasma TV and after looking around on cnet's review site the Samsung UN65F6300 looked like the best option though it's on the very edge of their price range ($1000-$1750). I chose it because it sounded like it this model has a good picture quality. Still, would rather take them to a store so they can look at it and some other models, which brings me to my first question.

Are there any similar quality alternatives out to this Samsung that are within their price range. I know that my dad likes the picture on my 37 inch Vizio VX37L-HDTV10A better than the Sony he has in the living room. Only difference I can tell between the two is that the colors pop/are a bit more vivid on the Vizio.

My second question involves wall mounts. I saw several listed back a few pages though they varied in price from $45 to $120. Besides the VESA hole patterns is there anything else I should look out for? What do you do about the cables?

My wife and I looked at the 6300 for a while and decided on a 6030. Considerably cheaper, and it just seems to drop features that we'd never use like Smart TV (we have an Apple TV) and 3D (MPAA gimmick). We also loathe the soap opera effect, so the lower frame rate number won't effect us at all. So, if your parents don't think they need 3D or Smart TV stuff them maybe check out the 6030 and maybe the 6003 series. Same LCD panel AFAIK, different backlight style. 6030 is a thicker set and lit across the middle, the 6003 is thinner and edge lit.

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything, fellas!