Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Hey HDTV thread, I just got an LG 47LM660S (or T, or LM6600 in some countries I think), because I read good reviews on the trusted sites in the OP. It seemed to have exactly what I wanted in terms of Rec 709 picture performance and passive 3D quality and on first glance this seems to be absolutely the case. The bad thing however, which no review mentioned, is that it has extreme clouding/flashlights around the edges and very visible vertical bandings (I sit about 3m away from the screen). Now, the clouding got better after it sat at home for two days and it's now acceptable. The bandings are still there though. I will return it for a new model anyway, because the TV's stand is also skewed, but I'm wondering if I should even bother and rather search for a different model.

I've never really done any research for consumer TVs before this and got my old, cheap 32" LG LCD TV by blindly buying it from a store and (luckily) it has a great image. So now I'm a little worried that either the state of consumer television devices is generally just bad at this point in time, or that I'll have to spend a lot more money to get a good device. From my understanding though, the price is mainly defined by the display size and extras like SMART functionality, which I don't need. I only got the LM660 instead of the LM620(0) because it offers adjustable local LED dimming and thus is even better to calibrate.

What do you guys think about this?

EDIT: V V V Thanks for reassuring me. I'll see how the new unit looks.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I finally received a replacement unit for my LG 47LM660S LED backlit TV and it's way better than the model before. Only very slight clouding in the bottom left corner and a lot less noticeable vertical banding. I'll keep it :)

I also found out that the input label affects the image processing. When I label an HDMI input as "PC" it behaves differently than when I set no label or something like "BluRay". My AppleTV 2 has some stuttering issues when when the picture mode(!) is not set to "Game". When I set the HDMI input label to "PC" though, I can leave the picture mode in "isf expert" and have more control over the image. With a PC label however, some advanced settings are still grayed out, but it seems a lot better than Game mode. Can't wait to get a probe and calibrate it :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

or you can buy a better universal like a Harmony.

I was wondering about this, since I've never used a universal remote before. Can I set it up to control my LG TV, Onkyo Audio Receiver and AppleTV? My LG TV remote can already control the Onkyo's volume through HDMI, but I need to switch channels when I want to watch the AppleTV or PS3.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

What a coincidence, I calibrated a Viera ST60 today and I was really surprised at the great color accuracy for such a consumer model. Set to "True Cinema", it performed already very well, without calibration. With calibration you can get amazing results. You can crank up the contrast (white level) really high without clipping highlight detail and with brightness (black level) set a little above zero you also get good black detail. Also, set sharpness down pretty much all the way, turn off overscan and any image enhancing/sharpening/de-noising features, and you get a great natural image.

I can't comment on the image retention, but the spot brightness (i.e. not full-screen white) was higher than 130 cd/m2.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 3, 2013