Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
What do you guys think about this deal here? http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/88156/amazon.com-42-panasonic-viera-tcl42e50-120hz-1080p-led-hdtv-100-amazon-promotional-credit

It's going to be in my bedroom, view range will be from 3'- 10'. Will be used for TV and games, some movies. I don't care about 3d, and having netflix onboard is just a nice plus. The deal with 100 amazon credit is like getting cash back (or money off the price) for me as I'll be buying textbooks from them next month.

My primary concern is just response rate, and having absolutely no issues with playing video games, it seems good. Is there a better deal out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So the Panasonic ST50 seems to be the goto recommendation for gaming, but it's a little more than I want. What's a step down in size (40-46"), with no preference on 3D or smart, while mantaining great refresh rate?

quick edit: oh I see I missed a post on the U50 being a stripped down alternative that's more to my liking, and it will be in a pretty dark room, so thats cool. Price is better (about 800 according to cnet, but I can't find any new ones at that price) but if I can go smaller and slightly cheaper I'd like to.

one more edit after a bit of hunting: the 42 inch here looks like a great buy, convince me otherwise! http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-...words=TC-P42S60

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 16, 2013

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Hey TV gurus my grandma is looking to get a new TV for her living room and I haven't been paying attention to TV's at all this year. She wants a 55 inch (so I think going to 60 is fine) but that's all she knows. What I want to do is give her a couple options at different price points, she'll probably want value though. She pretty much only watches cable, I got her a blue ray player and one of those massive studio collections last year and I think she's watched like 2 movies out of it.

So requirements are:

reliability
good viewing angles
brightness (there will most likely be a window right behind the TV with blinds)
probbaly under a grand.