Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I might be able to snag a 55" Sony 900E for under a grand from the military exchange website. RTINGS says it's the best mid-range 4K one can buy at the moment - are they wrong? I know it's a VA panel, and they also carry the 930E (obviously for more money), but it's my understanding the 55" 930 is edge-lit while the 900E is array-lit, and the 930 doesn't get array backlighting except for on SKUs that are out of my price/size range.

The 930E is $400 more expensive than the 900E @ 55" - is Dolby Vision and the "X1 Extreme" 4K upconverting chip (the 900E has the X1) really worth that?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So are extended warranties really worth it? On that Sony 900E, it comes with a one year warranty from Sony, but my credit card covers it an additional year. AAFES offers a four year Asurion plan for $99, but it runs concurrently with the manufacturer's and the credit card's, so it's only coverage for years 3-4.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Get a Citi card. It adds two years to any extended warranty.

Sure about that? A simple Google search confirms the 24 month extension, but it specifically states it's an extension of the manufacturer's warranty, not any extended ones. Also, I'd rather not take out another line of credit if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the advice, though. If Chase ever pisses me off enough, I'll look into getting a card from them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Decided to go with the 930E over the 900E @ 55". AAFES took the 900E off sale and has it priced at $1699. The 930E is at $1499, and that's before a 17% off coupon, free shipping, and no tax on the order because AAFES. Plus I have some stuff to return on my AMEX, so my final price on it will be just ~$1100. The heart-breaker is that AAFES had the LG OLEDB6P listed for $1199...before the 17% off and the statement credit I'll be able to apply...but it's out of stock, and seeing as it's a 2016 model, I'm not holding out hope it'll come back *in* stock ever again. Or at least not before the 24th, when my 17% off coupon expires.

I'll probably use the 90 day grace period before deciding whether or not to pick up a four year SquareTrade policy on it. It'd be nice to let two months pass before putting *another* near-$200 charge on a card, since I always pay them off immediately at the end of each month.

And before anyone asks - AAFES is the military exchange service, not some magical retailer anyone can buy from.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 13, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Even if the antenna is only ten years old, there's a chance that it's not specifically designed to handle HD signals. There's also a chance it's not pointed in the right direction, which would be toward the aerials which are broadcasting the signals.

Type their address into this and it'll tell you where those aerials are, along with which should provide good signal and which might be 'iffy': https://nocable.org/hd-antenna-coverage-map

He really is wasting his money with a 4K set on OTA, and a 1080p with a much better antenna would likely be a better route to take.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They do sell relatively inexpensive 50' telescoping rods that can anchor into the side of a house (so you don't have to pay ~professional erectors~ to come and install guy wires) - just put a proper HDTV antenna on the top of that and you've got a far better chance of getting stronger reception. That plus a decent 1080p set should run about what he was prepared to buy that LG 4K set for.

Also, any "4K" television under $500 is virtually guaranteed not to be standards-compliant for when *actual* 4K broadcasts start going out. I just bought a 930E and the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) standard was only very recently added via firmware to only the 900E and above. It's also widely accepted that any 'cheap' television, no matter whose name is on the box/cabinet, is a crap shoot as to who *actually* made it and whose panel resides within it.

Failing that, just buy their 150 mile antenna suggestion and cross your fingers: https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-Rotation/dp/B017JEF126

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 17, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I know 55" sets are considered *normal* nowadays, but when you're coming from a 2005 Sharp 32", something a whole foot wider and eight inches higher definitely gets your attention when the box is sitting in your den. :staredog:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Give it a week. It's sad how small even the biggest of TVs end up looking after you get used to them. It's worth visiting friends/family with small models so you can return and get the 'wow' factor again.

Well, the funny thing is that 32" TVs look positively small to me *now* because this is what my old TV looks/looked like:

It has a 32" screen but it's 3" shy of a 49" in diagonal when you take into account the speakers and gigantic bezel.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If said friend has anyone who's a veteran in their family, look into AAFES. Registering for their website gets you a 17% off promo code good for two weeks, and I was able to snag a 55" X930E for $1244 with no tax, shipped free.

Oh, and I found out something recently - you can buy SquareTrade warranties through Costco, even if you don't buy the *television* through Costco. Better yet, the coverage kicks in *after* the manufacturer's warranty cuts off. $89.99 for three years.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 22, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Whoops I spent a extra 800 buck and got a Sony XBR900E

To save you from pulling your hair out - to kill the "Samba Interactive Television" prompt, enter the setup, then tell it to gently caress/disable itself - twice. It literally asks you if you're *sure* that you want to disable what's effectively a piece of adware. Twice. But only if you bend over and *almost* let it gently caress you. Honestly, if you've got an XB1, PS4, or Fire/Roku box, it almost pays to "de-smart" a Sony set and just allow it on the internet whenever it's time to download new firmware - and even that can be done via a manual download from the Sony site and uploaded via USB drive.

The Youtube video done by that British Vietnamese guy on how to disable it didn't work for me. Also, his directions to limit the set to a maximum of four processes only in developer mode has caused my 930E to crash on me and revert that change.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 4, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Every goddamned Marvel show on Netflix is artificially 'gritty' and it murders the resolution. House of Cards doesn't have any problems.

It's on purpose too, for whatever goddamned reason.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 12, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, "True Cinema" can help on older movies that were designed to be shown in 24p, but other than that, Motionflow does way more harm than good.

What's incredibly depressing is that first-tier commercials and local news on my 930E look fantastic, but the upconversion on the *shows* sometimes make flesh look mottled and blurry. :sigh:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

25 lighters posted:

After researching here, and rtings.com, I've come to the conclusion to get a new 4K hdr 55 inch tv. This will be strictly for ps4 pro gaming, performance and picture quality are the most important.

My list so far basically comes down too what rtings claims to be the best use.

tcl 55 inch p605 for 600$
Sony 55 inch XBR55X900E for 1200$

They both are rated almost exactly the same for hdr/regular gaming. So my question is would it be worth it to spend extra and get the Sony? I don't understand what the big price gap is for and if it's a huge difference in quality. My budget is 1500$, but if there are no other tvs that perform as cheap as the tcl 600 or sony, I'll just go with them. Ok thanks, and sorry if this question has been asked again.

Are you in the military, a veteran, or do you know anyone who is whom you'd trust with your money? Because if so you really might want to talk to them about potentially going through the Exchange service for the 900E. Check your PMs.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 27, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Since it's going to save another goon in here hundreds of dollars - if anyone in here is thinking about buying a television and is active duty, a veteran, or knows someone who is whom you'd trust with a lot of your money, you really need to check out the Military Exchange Service/AAFES' website.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Aafes opens to veterans and family in November!

It's actually open to veterans now through VetVerify (or at the very least one can apply): https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans

It can't really be understated how good their prices on televisions are.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 3, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SquareTrade sells a five year protection plan via Costco for $89. It's valid on TVs not bought at Costco, you just lose out on the extra years buying at Costco would've given you.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

5 Second Poser posted:

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think one of the reasons that price is so high from LG is because they're going off their MSRP of $6000-some, even though they don't sell it for that price and I only paid $2500 for it.

I'm looking into the SquareTrade offer at CostCo right now. I'm not a CostCo member (closest one is 2 hours away), but I think I can buy online without being a member. One thing I noticed was that the description says I need to buy it within 90 days of the TV purchase. I bought my TV back in January. So am I poo poo out of luck with this great-priced SquareTrade option or will that day limit not matter? I noticed that SquareTrade's website says that the warranty needs purchased within 30 days of the TV purchase. A quick search through the Amazon SquareTrade offers looks like they only cover items purchased from Amazon in the past 30 days.

Yeah, unfortunately I think you're poo poo out of luck if you're outside the 90 day window.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

From your first post, I'd honestly say go with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5KGXUX

It's only 22", but it claims its 1080p IPS with full array LED backlighting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Probably the 49" 900E is the best you're going to get.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The "no one will know until a few years from now" aspect of OLED's true display longevity is a big reason why I went with a 930E over an LG OLED.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sony has the 65" 900E for $1498 through Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR65X900E-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MZF81NS

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For those who can access it, AAFES is discounting TVs again. The 55" 930E has a particularly insane price at the moment.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Animale posted:

Yeah, that's a bit insane might go ahead and get it.

Also, if you're a vet you can just go and register now by putting in some info rather than having to send a DD214 (which is what was keeping me from signing up).

What's even crazier is that there's usually a ~15-17% promo code milling about if you're stubborn enough to go looking on the deal websites, and I think you get 10% off your first Military Star purchase, but $100 or so has never been worth it to me to open a new line of credit I'll likely never use.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FunOne posted:

Probably the wrong thread, but are there sound bars that will broadcast over bluetooth? I'd love a way to listen to the TV with some wireless headphones when we need it to be quiet.

Sennheiser makes something like that, but it's just the headphones and transmitter, and I don't know if they make them with multiple headphones.

I do remember Bose having a sound bar that claims BT compatibility, but I don't know if that just means BT *control*.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-connect-wireless-headphones-to-any-tv/

Seems you'd be better off getting the soundbar and going this route.

And I have a set of these (not two of them, though) for late-night TV watching: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M2WH3HC

They're not Bluetooth, though. Just garden variety RF.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 11, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So for you handful of fellow 930E owners out there, here's a bit of good* news:

So much for "DV update by the end of 2017," but it's better than having Sony welch on it. No knowing if NA will get it sooner.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Careful Drums posted:

Hi, I'm here to ask for help with a TV upgrade. I have a 42" LG 1080p TV from 2011. I want to replace it. It's on a single-stud mount so I think only 50", maybe a 55" would work.

I won't spend more than $500. What kind of upgrades can I get? It will be for mostly movies and TV.

I'm not sure how Sharps are nowadays, but here's a 50" 4K with HDR for $400: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/shar...004174058612770

Here's the product page for it: https://www.sharptvusa.com/tvs/4k/lc-50p8000u

I'm a little leery that Sharp's website has no tech specs for this model, though. You can't even see if the viewing angles are 178/178 to make sure it's not a piece of poo poo TN panel.

Not even Newegg has the full specs listed: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=16C-001V-00058

Reviews for last year's "7000U" model suggest it uses an 8-bit panel: https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-50N7000U-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01E6PGW56

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 28, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BonoMan posted:

US Sharps are just rebadged Hisense.

Good to know. I had a 32" 768p Sharp that was a tank until it had HDCP issues with FiOS that I dealt with by getting the 930E.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Check Monoprice, too. They've got a $5 off $25 coupon for Super Bowl weekend which might help.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

As the owner of a 930E I'm a bit miffed at not getting the new motion compensation chip, and I think the 900F is getting the X1 Extreme processor the 930E got, but hey, it's 'miffed,' not :mad:.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gin_Rummy posted:

Does this imply that the X900E won’t drop in price again before/when new models come out?

The only place that's got the 55" X900E for less than $998 is the military exchange service for $899. Pretty sure that's probably the lowest you'll see it go.

And before anyone asks - the price is only viewable if you have valid login credentials for the site, so it can't be used for pricematching.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MassDrop is discounting the Sony A1E OLEDs - don't get too excited, the 55" is $2100, the 65" is $2900, and the 77" a blistering ten loving grand: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/448729/sony-xbr-55a1e

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lube banjo posted:

Are there any X900E or Vizio-P quality TVs around 43"? Planning to connect PC to it for media but won't be gaming on it much. Movies/Netflix/YT usage. native 120hz a big plus

I should probably just buy one of the 50" ones but wanting to save a few hundred

Smallest X900E SKU is 49".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think Sony nixed the 49" option for the 900F, so it's probably a good time to snatch up a 49" 900E before the only ones left are refurbs.

EDIT: Never mind, I was wrong.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 5, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don't buy a Samsung. 55" Sony 900Es have been on sale for $899-999. It's the top of your price range, but it's the thread's 'go-to' suggestion before the base model OLEDs, which start ~$1300 on sale.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

havenwaters posted:

Ugh sony for fucks sake just put four full hdmi 2.0 ports in there you jerks. It wouldn't be so bad if one wasn't also the arc HDMI port. Oh well.

"Sony Electronics would far prefer you buy an overpriced Sony receiver if you desire more full-bandwidth HDMI ports, because...well, gently caress you, that's why." :smug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

catch22 posted:

Just bought an x900e, and I need a 30’ HDMI cable. Is this too long for a 4K cable (that supports HDR10, if that’s a thing)? An electrician friend said I would need a balun, is that true?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9172

Try that, see if it works. SPRING25 to get $5 off.

Also maybe this if you want snazzy braiding: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13757

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 8, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

catch22 posted:

Thanks, I’ll give that first one a shot

No problem - just be sure to plug it in the right way, the cables seem to be marked in the way they need to be plugged in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Best buy and amazon show it 1999.99

$1499 on the US Best Buy site and Amazon - are you in Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rastor posted:

You can always wait for the x900f with the new processor and dolby vision, but then you're waiting a bit and also paying more

Well, not waiting - it's purchasable *now*, it just costs way more: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR49X900F-49-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B078H2DWZT

The X930E has DV, and is pretty much the same price as the X900F now. Some well-known Youtube channel did a 930E vs. 900F and found the 930 still had a better picture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0GzpKxakZM (11:52 for gaming benches)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 18, 2018