Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rirse posted:

Guess I going to have to get a new tv soon, as my old LCD just shut off out the blue and won't turn on again, instead making a buzzing noise when plugged in. Looking through the OP and generally won't get anything too much better then 32 (which is the old tv size), but should I consider grabbing a 3D unit or just stick with decent quality tv that has 1080P.

There are very few 3D options at 32" from what I've seen.

For example, on Amazon there's only 4 that show up and only 2 of those are available new. And they're 2011 models.

I've been looking too, because I'd like to have 3D but I do not have the space for anything larger than 32 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They all use IR.

Several phones have IR built in, or you can buy a better universal like a Harmony.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FLX posted:

I was wondering about this, since I've never used a universal remote before. Can I set it up to control my LG TV, Onkyo Audio Receiver and AppleTV? My LG TV remote can already control the Onkyo's volume through HDMI, but I need to switch channels when I want to watch the AppleTV or PS3.

If they all have IR, almost certainly.

I haven't looked for all of those devices personally so I can't say yes for sure, but the Harmony database has just about everything in it. Plus those are all major brands.

And even if not, every Harmony I've used has a back IR receiver that you can use to teach it commands from your existing remote.

The only thing it can't control on that list is the PS3 because the PS3 has no IR. There's an adapter for that in the Harmony line, but it's like $50.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

So I've got a weird situation going on with my new television, an Insignia 46E340A13:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B---46%26%2334%3B-Class---LED---1080p---60Hz---HDTV/6835258.p?id=1218808630514&skuId=6835258

The picture quality's basically pretty good, and the sound sucks but we all knew that would happen. What's weird is how it responds to inputs.

When I connect a laptop to it with a minidisplay-port-to-VGA-adapter, it'll display at 1080p so crisply that I can use it for word processing. I bought the mini-displayport-to-VGA adapter at radio shack, it's a store brand. Nothing cool or clever.

When I connect a PC to it with an HDMI cable straight from the video card, it's way less crisp. I'm not sure how to describe it - the pixels haze in to each other a bit. There's no crispness. Reading text that's clear as crystal on my monitor or with the VGA port is genuinely painful over HDMI.

Given that our PS3 connects to the thing with an HDMI cable and we're getting a bit of the same hazing there, we're not sure what to do about it, or if we should do anything. We're considering moving up to a more expensive model of a more reliable brand like LG, but we got this television for $400 and we're very aware that there is no chance of us getting a deal that good again before the return period for our Insignia ends.

My question is, has anyone else had this situation where one input format is clean and the other sucks, especially with this brand? Do any of you have more general advice?

Does it have a Game Mode, or some other way to turn off all the extra effects? Usually TVs with VGA will turn all that stuff off automatically over that connection, so that could be why you didn't see it there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Game Mode is usually a separate toggle independent from your Cinema/Sports/Dynamic/etc. types of picture modes.

Sometimes it's buried in the menus somewhere.

Edit: Does your TV have an option called "DCM"? If so, try turning that off.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 6, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That sounds like HDMI-CEC, aka Anynet, Bravia Link and tons of other names.

They added that with the Slim PS3s. It likely needs to be turned on on both ends, I don't think it would be on by default.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those settings are only available with an appropriate source, and can be mutually exclusive with some picture modes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe you need to be receiving a Film Mode-able signal for that, which would be 1080p24 I think.

For HDMI Black Level, the signal needs to be RGB. That would be a PC or game console (and not always in the latter case.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, and some only do pictures over their USB connections.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rexim posted:

Yeah I've always been confused about that. My TV is advertised as 720p but if I tell my Xbox to output 1080p, the 'info' button on my remote says 1920x1080. Is it really displaying at that resolution or what?

No, but it can accept that resolution and downscale it to 720p. It still tells you what kind of signal it's receiving.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does anyone know of any brands that allow playing movies through USB?

My mother in law has friends in Cuba who asked her to buy them a TV, so USB is pretty much their only option to connect to the TV.

Or possibly some device that will allow playing videos on a TV through USB? As barebones as possible, as price is a big concern here. They won't accept a gift. I'd say like $50 or so would be the max on a separate device. Do they have DVD players with that option? That would work too.

Edit: Oh, and unfortunately I'm in Canada. Vizio TVs seem to have this option from what I can tell on Google, but it also seems that Costco was the only place to get those and they stopped selling them.

Edit 2: Found something on eBay that looks like it can do the job.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 13, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do TVs have a "season" for new model releases like some other electronics? It's about time for an upgrade for ours, especially with the new console generation actually doing 1080p.

The PS4 doesn't come out until likely November though, so if there's any advantage to waiting until then I may as well.

It's going to end up being LED, if that affects anything. Plasmas are probably too heavy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And with that the hours of research melt away. I'm terrible at picking out TVs, plus it seems everything I actually find in my ranges has no real reviews out there.

42" is my physical maximum.
Plasma is out, so LCD/LED it is.
Budget isn't a big deal, but there's no need to get silly. ~$1000 or so max.
It will be used for plenty of gaming. Also hockey during the season, so 120Hz+ would be preferred.
I would like 3d, but it's not a deal breaker.
I don't need Smart features because I have a PS3, but I'm not against them because using the aging PS3 less would be good too.

I saw this one: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...archPageIndex=1

Passive 3D, full LED and from some Googling you can bring the lag down to the higher end of acceptable. Odds are my current TV has tons of lag I don't notice anyway though, so that's probably not a factor.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or comments on that TV? As you can see, I'm flexible on most of my requirements (except size and type).

Also, are there are any other online retailers in Canada you can recommend in case it comes to that? I don't like dealing with Bestbuy/FS for online purchases, I've had nothing but problems with them. I see you don't recommend Amazon.ca, is that just when it comes to prices or overall?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 4, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Both. If it's not books or movies, the product variety is a joke. Literally a joke. Prices and/or shipping costs are much the same.

Yeah, I know all about Amazon.ca's crappy selection, but they do have that model in stock and I can guarantee Canada Post shipping from them.

The simplest address for me is a PO box, which only Canada Post ships to. On Amazon if I use that address their system is smart enough to use Canada Post instead of UPS, whereas other sites will still ship it UPS/Purolator and bitch later.

Edit: How's Dell? They have it too, and apparently use Purolator for everything.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 4, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Purolator to my postal code actually all just goes to a store nearby so that shouldn't be a problem.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

I suppose even Purolator Freight can just drop off their package at that warehouse if you request it, yeah.

What stage in the sale did they try to contact you? I ended up placing the order Sunday morning, and it looks like it passed through validation and is in the packing stage right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oops, I probably could have chose a better quote for that.

I meant when did Dell try to contact you about the different addresses thing, not Purolator.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kortel posted:

Looking in to getting a new TV, done some research and pretty much narrowed it down to a 60" LED/LCD size with a budget around 1,600 to 2,000. Samsung has looked the best to me so far when actually taking a look in person with sharper visuals and higher brightness. My wife is swearing by Sony but it all seems muted and dark to me. However, the real issue I'm having an issue with figuring out if the jump from 120Hz to 240Hz are really worth the price jump. I'd mainly be using the TV for Blu-ray movies and gaming, though the wife wants 3D. What would be the obvious choice? Trying to keep the cost a little lower but I can go up to my limit.
Between the Samsung 60" LED - 1080p - 120Hz - Smart - HDTV UN60F6300AFXZA and Samsung - 60" Class (60" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 240Hz - Smart - 3D UN60F7100AFXZA Is a price jump of $500 worth it?

I was looking recently, and found I didn't need 240. Someone else could probably say more, but I only really saw 2 things 240 can do that 120 can't and they're not worth $500.

They allow you to add interpolation to 24FPS content (but most people don't like that), and they let you avoid 3:2 pulldown on 24FPS 3D content with active 3D (because 120 becomes 60 to each eye, whereas 240 becomes clean dividing 120.)

I guess if that 48FPS Hobbit thing ever really takes off there's that too?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it's me and I just won a giant rear end TV I'd probably buy a PS3 for it, but I don't know what your budget is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You should be able to turn it off. It's supposed to be good for sports, though. Hockey hasn't started yet so I haven't had a chance to test mine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have the 42" of that LG. No complaints, but it doesn't have the IP stuff you want.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's presumably in Canada since he linked Newegg.ca though, so Amazon's not an option.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unfortunately, it is not.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/Search...tCategory=21344

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Prices are a lot worse here for most electronics. Game consoles are a notable exception (but not their controllers.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ES is 2012, so not very old. This year is F. Samsung raises the letter after the screen size for model year. In 2012 ES meant LED while just E was Plasma, but they dropped that for this year and it's all F.

No idea why no other retailer seems to have the ES8000s though.

My guess is big box like Bestbuy etc. already cleared it out for the 2013 models. You would expect some more online retailers to have them though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 6, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's probably worded that way because Samsung has been downplaying 3D the last 2 years.

It doesn't take a whole lot to make a 120Hz+ TV do 3D (especially with active glasses, I would think) so they pretty much just throw it in there, but it's not a big advertising focus anymore because 3D wasn't something a lot of people specifically sought.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

Friend of mine swears by 120hz+ since he got one, says makes games way better. Haven't experienced it for myself, but I'd like to try it, and everything seems headed towards "More Hz!" for the next few years, "soap opera" effect or not. At least the 920hz TVs I saw looked loving amazing, even at "small" 40inch sizes.

Game Mode disables motion interpolation on most (if not all) TVs though. And if you don't turn on Game Mode, there are other lag creating effects applied that you sometimes can't even turn off.

He might not notice, or he might have a TV with a short enough delay that it still doesn't push it into noticeable territory, but if you're looking for 120 Hz+ for gaming make sure you look into that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Talkc posted:

Okay. So i am woefully ignorant about Televisions. I haven't bought a set since 2007. And now i'm in the need for a small ( 20-24") television for when I have a PS4. My setup is that i have a desk with two monitors on it, and only room for a third, monitor sized screen.

I have no idea what i'm looking for other than the size of the television. I just need it to be able to play PS4 when it comes out and not be utter poo poo. The alternative for me is hooking up a ps4 through though a system of cables to my pc speakers and monitor, and i do not want that.

Any good suggestions?

Does it need to be a TV?

You can find the Playstation 3D display fairly cheap now in a lot of places. It's technically a monitor since it doesn't have a TV tuner, but is obviously made to hook up to a console. It has TV style speakers, which while nothing special are a hell of a lot better than your typical computer monitor speakers.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 15, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Talkc posted:

The problem with that is 3d gives me horrific headaches. Otherwise id be all over it.

Edit: Also apparently its stupid expensive. About 300 bucks.

Yeah, if you don't want/can't use the 3D then it's more expensive than other ones in that size, though not by that much. I saw one at $250 with a $50 mail in recently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

The 3d isn't always on. It's a 120Hz display with the option.
And it's $180 at Gamestop.
http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/playstation-3d-display/91799

Whether any's in stock though...

240Hz, actually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does it not do top/bottom? That should get you full resolution.

Edit: Oh wait, active TV. I have no idea how it works with an active TV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

He didn't mention that, he just said Bioshock Infinite. The PS3 version is supposed to have 3D support.

He did say "on my PC".

Also "he" is Bad Munki.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Netflix app on my LG is identical to the PS3 app.

Some TVs don't have the horsepower to do Netflix smoothly and have to buffer more often than a console does, but I wouldn't be able to tell you if that TV is one of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

Netflix on my LG lets me view 3D stuff, whereas the PS3 version for some reason doesn't work in 3D even if I can play 3D games and Blurays on the PS3. But I don't really mind, Netflix's 3D content selection blows.

That said, I use the PS3 Netflix just so I don't have to deal with the stupid LG smart remote. And if there was a decent Plex media client on PS3, I would never even touch the TV's smart crap...

Do you use Netflix Canada or are you using a VPN/DNS masker to view the US catalog?

I didn't know Netflix Canada had 3D options, and while the US one does it apparently doesn't work over Unblock-US and similar stuff. It would probably work over a VPN though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

actionjackson posted:

It's not really clear to me, on the Panasonic tv, do you need to purchase anything additional if you already have wi-fi in your home to get online with the tv?

According to CNET, it does not have built in wi-fi.

Jan posted:

Unblock US, and it does work, as does Super HD. Although Unblock US might be the element here that's preventing the PS3 from doing 3D... I don't know why that would be, however, since 3D allegedly has the same requirements as Super HD.

That's odd. When I noticed the 3D category I looked on their site (I... don't know why I didn't just try to run one) and they said they don't support it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is 4k.

No idea, but 240Hz allows you to have a clean dividing number for 48fps if that ever becomes a thing, and for 24fps Active 3D.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 17, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quote's not edit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the general rule for "game mode" settings? Just ignore it? I'm going through calibration for the Vizio I just bought and wondering if I should worry about switching picture modes every time I pop in a game.

You should pretty much always use it for games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't actually turn on motion interpolation along with Game Mode on almost all TVs, so 60Hz is nothing to worry about for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I've had a Samsung LN46B750 - this guy http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln46b750/4505-6482_7-33490658.html - for the past 4 years. I use it for PS3 games a lot, but I've always noticed a lot of juddering - jerky horizontal panning - when playing games. I don't play on "game mode" because I found it too stark and ugly when I first got the TV, and I honestly don't "feel" the latency that playing in non-game mode induces (I've played games since the Atari 2600) so I just play in normal mode. But based on some recent reading, shouldn't games actually not judder in the first place because of juddering being caused by 3:2 pulldown, etc?

I'm wondering if the "juddering" I'm seeing is actually the TV's dejuddering trying to "fix" video game framerates or something like that - that even though "game mode" is uglier, it might ultimately be smoother than if the TV's normal mode is trying to "fix" something that isn't broken in the signal.

Not necessary that function, but yes it is almost definitely your TV's post processing.

DizzyBum posted:

Guys, I've really been enjoying the hell out of my Vizio E551I-A2 over the past month, but there's one little detail that's bugging me. Whenever I switch the input away from my Xbox, which has Game Mode enabled on it 24/7, it seems like Game Mode stops working. The setting says "On" but it's unmistakably laggy when I touch the controller, exactly how it is when it's off. If I toggle Game Mode off and on again, it fixes this (although I have to turn the 360 off and on again because I will get a slight audio delay if I don't).

So, not a dealbreaker, but it's annoying to have to go into the options and toggle this every time my wife and I want to play something. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Where would I even begin to look for fixing this?

EDIT: I also realize it might be a side effect of upscaling, since I didn't realize that apparently Xbox 360 games usually output in 720p and the TV will upscale to 1080p and cause lag. But even if this is the case, the lag is barely noticeable when game mode is turned on so I'd like to troubleshoot that before going after the 360's output settings. Eventually I would like to squash this issue completely since there are some fighting games I want to play on 360, but that's on the backburner right now.

If you set your 360 to 1080p, it will upscale the games itself. It's better at it than your TV too.